Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership process

Options
  • 11-07-2005 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

When you buy a car privately,

Is it possible to tax and insure straight away or do you have to wait for the updated vehicle registration cert to be mailed out from Shannon?

I will be paying for a car in cash and want to make sure that I have this straight - Before handing over the lolly, I should get
    1. the nct cert.
    2. An RF105 form signed by the current owner and new owner.
    3. the current vehicle registration cert.

Is there anything i'm forgetting?

Is the car legally in my ownership from the moment the above is exchanged? i'm thinking in terms of me having to drive it half a mile up the road to secure parking until I can sort out insurance the next day (a bit dodge but i cant see any other way of doing it without delaying the process).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you have an insurance policy on another car you can transfer it over or get covered temporarily, talk to your insurer.
    If you don't have a policy then get one, you don't need any proof of ownership to get an insurance policy.

For tax you can't do anything until you get the registration cert back.

The seller should give you a part of the cert the rest he is supposed to post to the licencing authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

For taxing, as long as the car is in your name you can tax it, you dont need the VLC as long as the car is in your name on the database. You can call shannon 1890412411(i think) to check is it in your name

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The way it works as far as I am aware is:

When the current owner hands you the keys he gets you to put your name and address on the back of the vehicle registration form (change of ownership section), you also sign it, he/she then posts it off to Shannon, about 2 or 3 weeks later you get the new vehicle registration form in post with your name and address printed on as the new registered owner. You can then go down to your local tax office and renew the tax.

As for legally driving the car home after purchasing it, just make sure that the car is insured, usually you ring your insurance company the day before and give them a time you are collecting the car, say 4:00pm, so tell them that you want the cover to start from 4:00pm, they will ask you for the details of the car such as reg number, colour, engine size and value. If there is an increase in the premium they usually just bill you. I have transfered insurance from my old car to my new car over the phone when I am at the garage and they have done this straight away without issue. If this is your first car then they more than likely require more notice and the premium payed up front prior to the start date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 aldous_huxley

When the current owner hands you the keys he gets you to put your name and address on the back of the vehicle registration form (change of ownership section), you also sign it, he/she then posts it off to Shannon, about 2 or 3 weeks later you get the new vehicle registration form in post with your name and address printed on as the new registered owner. You can then go down to your local tax office and renew the tax.

As i will be dealing with a complete stranger and paying cash, wouldnt it be better if i took the registration form and posted in to shannon myself? Otherwise, I could potentially end up with no proof of the vehicle being signed over as well as no proof of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Legally you have no right to take it, the seller should send in the form.
    I certainly wouldn't give it to a buyer, until the change of ownership has been completed I would still be responsible for any offences involving the car.

There used to be a tear-off part on the change of ownership form that the new owner took but that was on the old form.

• Advertisement

Legally you have no right to take it, the seller should send in the form.
    I certainly wouldn't give it to a buyer, until the change of ownership has been completed I would still be responsible for any offences involving the car.
    That seems fair enough - but how can the buyer cover himself?

I rang Shannon (061-365000) for a definitive answer on this. I (buyer)was told to take the form/vlc and post it - although its actually the sellers responsibility - she says very often it doesnt get posted. Once people have been paid out, they forget about the paperwork.

Also, she very kindly offered to run a check on the car to see if there were any alerts on it.

As regards coverage on the payment end of things, I have typed out a blank receipt - to be filled in and signed when i hand over the readies.

Just have to make sure i dont pick a lemon now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I rang Shannon (061-365000) for a definitive answer on this. I (buyer)was told to take the form/vlc and post it - although its actually the sellers responsibility - she says very often it doesnt get posted. Once people have been paid out, they forget about the paperwork.

That's outrageous, suggesting that you break the law!

If I was a buyer and got the reg cert, there would be no incentive to post it at all. I could speed everywhere, park where I want and the seller will face the rap with no comeback.

That's the reason why the seller sends it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I was told by the motor tax office that if I had the name and address of the previous owner it was no problem to tax the vehicle if it hadnt been changed onto the system in my name....which I guess is not so serious as the above only for that it used to be owned by a Garda as his private car so didnt fancy doing a stint for impersonating a Gard!

that's outrageous, suggesting that you break the law!

If I was a buyer and got the reg cert, there would be no incentive to post it at all. I could speed everywhere, park where I want and the seller will face the rap with no comeback.

That's the reason why the seller sends it away.
    I'm guessing that exactly the problem that you mentioned is why she told me to send it in - it wasnt her first reaction - her first reaction was to say that the seller should send it in - its only after a bit more dialogue she said I should send it in. I'm sure its making their work harder when people don't bother - meaning records are not accurate.

As civil servants go, she was being helpful so give her a break :)

BTW, if the seller isnt comfy with that arrangement, i won't be forcing the issue but i will be bringing a stamped addressed envelope and having him stick the vlc into it and head round the corner to post it then and there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have bought many second cars , and have never had a problem with private individuals.
    They can't wait to send the forms in, as they know if you run up parking tickets etc they will be liable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

stratos wrote:
    I have bought many second cars , and have never had a problem with private individuals.
    They can't wait to send the forms in, as they know if you run up parking tickets etc they will be liable.

Exactly..

Also small garage's are the same. i just bought a car from a small garage in my local area last tuesday and i just got the Registration from clare today in the post :)

Advertisement