Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space: Above & Beyond - On it's way to DVD at last!

• 11-07-2005 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

From www.tvshowsondvd.com
    You've heard the rumors that Space: Above and Beyond will be coming to DVD, and... well... it's not here. Good news though; it is coming, and it's coming very soon - this summer.

Space: Above and Beyond is a title that Best Buy will have an exclusive on for a period of time, much like Tru Calling: Season 2 (which has vanished from the BB website for an unknown reason), and some titles from other studios. After this exclusive period ends we'll see it at for sale at other retailers, so if you don't have a Best Buy in your area then don't panic, you'll get the set. Since this title is an exclusive, information may be difficult to obtain until it's announced for sale elsewhere, but we'll do some digging and report whatever we find.

We've been teased by rumors for years, but this is finally happening!

So, it'll still be a while off yet, but oh yes! It is finally on it's way! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Good, I've yet to see the final episode and have never caught it on repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gorm

finally.....maybe...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mother of God, this show sucked big time, I was unfortunate to watch it the first time around, Pen Densham was one of the movers behind it and has a legacy of rubbish tv in his wake, the likes of The Outer Limits and others, just look at his CV by googling him and see what i mean.
    Well if I get a gift of it at least I will have a new set of coasters for my table, yes its true there is always a silver lining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

So, it'll still be a while off yet, but oh yes! It is finally on it's way! :D

In the meantime I have a fan-based DVD set to keep me happy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Mother of God, this show sucked big time, I was unfortunate to watch it the first time around, Pen Densham was one of the movers behind it and has a legacy of rubbish tv in his wake, the likes of The Outer Limits and others, just look at his CV by googling him and see what i mean.
    Well if I get a gift of it at least I will have a new set of coasters for my table, yes its true there is always a silver lining!

Jesus...

First of all, Pen Densham had nothing to do with Space Above And Beyond, it was the brainchild of Glen Morgan and James Wong, and second of all, what the hell is wrong with The Outer Limits? That was fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I loved this show, it really had watching it religiously. That's a definite must-buy then when the DVDs eventually come out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

""Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn
    Mother of God, this show sucked big time, I was unfortunate to watch it the first time around""

I wonder what u think of the new BSG??? both are very similar (they took Space above...and the original BSG and you have a hit) i thought it was good scfi certainly better than crap like firefly,farescape,andromena etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

As far as I remember It was a fantastic show. The aliens were original. Unlike Star Trek they did not all speak fluent english. They were realtivly mysterious and looked damn evil. The space battles were also much more realistic. I saw the last episode and what an unpredictable ending. Again contrasted to Star Trek , it wasnt a show with a happy ending where everyone's problems are solved and we all learn a valuable lesson about life at the end of each episode. It was however a desperate stuggle for survival against an powerful foe that didnt end like so many other sci-fi "humanity will prevail" rubbish.

PS it has been about 5-7 years so Im a bit hazy but the chick, with the black hair was a babe!

http://topkool.free.fr/images_seriestv/space2063_05.jpg

http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~bytehead/chiglets.html

TonyD79 wrote:
    i thought it was good scfi certainly better than crap like firefly,farescape,andromena etc

How ****ing DARE you lump Firefly and Farscape in with Andromeda! You disgust me, sir!

I forgot how much I loved these bad guys. The best in any sci-fi series for these reasons,

Chigs fear their dead. They also appear to fear our dead too. They rip our eyes and our hearts out if they find our dead bodies.

We don't know what they look like outside of their suits. Exposure to our air turns them into a green gelatinous substance.

(Glen Morgan!) that the Chigs have been watching the Humans for some time now.

Chigs don't like the smell of our blood. This has been brought in two episodes Choice or Chance and Who Monitors the Birds. According to the AIs, the Chigs call us Red Stink Creatures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

How ****ing DARE you lump Firefly and Farscape in with Andromeda! You disgust me, sir!
    Hear hear, Andromeda's twice the show those other two slop buckets are!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

\o/ i'm going to be playing the theme music in my brain all day.

den DEN DEN dadedaded den den dennnn DEN DEN de de den den DUN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

Excellent i watched that show Pity it was cancelled..

lemming where did you get your fan DVD box set jobby? download?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lemming wrote:
    In the meantime I have a fan-based DVD set to keep me happy ;)
    Ah I have that too. Fan-based DVDs for show like "American Gothic" and "Nowhere Man" are useful when they're not in the shops...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

mjquinno wrote:
    lemming where did you get your fan DVD box set jobby? download?

Got it off a bloke in the UK. I'll need to find the url again. very professionally done. Beautiful box artwork for all six DVD cases. Basic menus for selecting episodes, but well worth it :)

firefly,farscape,andromena give scfi a bad name how they managed to last more than a season is a disgrace when u consider quality shows like american gothic,nowhere man,john doe,space above and beyond ...the list goes on get canceled

TonyD79 wrote:
    firefly,farscape,andromena give scfi a bad name
    Sorry, stop right there. How, please tell me how they gave sci-fi a bad name? Was it the Best Syndicated TV show Saturn award that 'Farscape' won 3 times? Maybe that's the bad name you're referring to?

Or was it the criticall acclaimed 'Firefly' that's actually gotten life in 'Serenity'?

Please explain how these two shows gave sci-fi a bad name and allow me to unclench my puny fists...

cause their crap

TonyD79 wrote:
    cause their crap

Well who can argue with such a well prosed, intelligent and thought out arguement like that? :rolleyes:

Well who can argue with such a well prosed, intelligent and thought out arguement like that? :rolleyes:
    In all fairness they dont deserve a well prosed , intelligent and thought out arguement . They are crap. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:
    In all fairness they dont deserve a well prosed , intelligent and thought out arguement . They are crap. Sorry.
    Were either of you on a debating team? Just curious....

Can you try and pinpoint it down further and why S:AAB was better?
    If you say "puppets" I'll probably roll my eyes back until I see my optic nerves.

If you say "characters", I'd ask how you think the characters of 'Firefly' are possibly less interesting than S:AAB, because the former has lots of quirky humour. Or how the oddball grouping of 'Farscape' characters - from deposed king to insane schizophrenic human to leather bound multi-racial maniac - are less developed or creative than a military unit (whom I likd, as it happened).

If you say SFX, I'll assume you've just never seen 'Farscape' and its lush set design and set pieces or the wonderful flight sequences in 'Firefly', both of whom have had years of technology to build on since S:AAB fell by the wayside.

If you say long storylines, I'll grant you 'Firefly' only was just getting ramped up, but I'll then smack you across the face for ignoring 'Farscape' multi-year arcs.

If you say individual storylines, I'll ask how is it one show can have an animated segment episode AND another episode with deeply brooding thoughts on individuality and yet still have both remain true to the show? How can such range be "crap"?

.... So come on, wherein lies the fault?

Far too much humour in Farscape for my liking, the aliens look ridiculous and implausible.
    - A floating mass of fat, how could that survive long enough to obtain sentience.
    - Dargo's nose... nuff said.
    - Criton can't act, American jock fun boy.
    - I liked the plant woman
    - That other muppet who has to do a dance when she talks... o_Ó
    - The pilot, ok I'll tolerate him
    - The ship is booooooring

And i just plane don't like firefly, its like the wild west in space.

azezil wrote:
    Far too much humour in Farscape for my liking, the aliens look ridiculous and implausible.
    See at least you gave reasons, which is fair enough. However, do you not get sick of Trek's policy whereby aliens are all tiresome bipeds that look like humans bar a pronounced forehead or nose or somesuch? There's not much imagination going on there at all. Do you not think it's possible that aliens will look different to us? Always found it incredibly egotistical of humanity to assume our extra-terrestial cousins would resemble us.

Oh i fully agree aliens, if they exist, will most likely look nothing like us, just didn't like how they look in farscape ;)

As for star trek's aliens, there was an episode that explained that in TNG, there was a parent race who planted their genetic code throughtout the galaxy, the episode featured, human's, romulan's, cardassians and klingon's, and no doubt accounts for many of the other races. So :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

oh man, i loved s:a&b, it's been many years since i've seen it though...

azezil wrote:
    As for star trek's aliens, there was an episode that explained that in TNG, there was a parent race who planted their genetic code throughtout the galaxy, the episode featured, human's, romulan's, cardassians and klingon's, and no doubt accounts for many of the other races. So :p
    Yup, there was. It was 6x20 - "The Chase" and I'm aware of it as a very very lame excuse by the Trek writers. If I remember it correctly after making the discovery, a discovery that should shock the core foundations and belief systems of all their civilizations, they just ignore it/forget it and walk home...

Any show you saw where you thought they did a good example of an alien beyond pointy years? I quite liked the imagination of 'Farscape' but it's not for everyone. There must be a few others who did aliens creatively..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Space: A&B pilot was good, but it went downhill fast after that, with sappy human stories about the arseholes in that unit. Even the grey haired captain dude was a damn pussy.

Starship Troopers: Roughnecks is a far better execution of the same thing

Species 8472, the xindi, the think tank... They do occasionally throw in some unique aliens.

azezil wrote:
    Species 8472, the xindi, the think tank... They do occasionally throw in some unique aliens.
    Meh not Trek, although the crystalline entity was decent enough. Spieces 8472 got ruined, I felt, by being too easily defeated although they were at least a little different.

Actually, S:AAB did aliens decently enough in the Chigs. I'm not really talking about appearance, but more their attitude. Too often the alien cultures react and think too much like humans, which makes little to no sense: why Klingons would independently develop a variant of opera or poetry, et cetera is a bit puzzling. That and they tend to be one-tone species: e.g. Klingons are warriors whereas humans are warriors, poets, scientists, etc. More diverse in general (yes, I know Torres was an engineer but she wasn't a proper Klingon, nor was Wolf :p ).

So appearance aside, it's hard to get aliens who think differently. 'Stargate' at least tried it a little there in the episode 'Small Victories' where the advanced race, the Asgard, employ a human because they think completely different and might see a solution the Asgard can't. Mentalities and states of mind are often overlooked or gotten around by shouting "hive mind! gestalt entity!" And then there were the alien mindsets of the Vorlons and Shadows in Babylon 5 who thought very differently to the younger races.

• Advertisement

There was also a Klingon scientist in TNG and Klingon Lawyer in DS9 :P

Advertisement