Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space: Above & Beyond - On it's way to DVD at last!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

SAAB_DVD_Slipcase.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Nice sleeve.Also can anyone tell me what is the connection between Star Trek and the SA-43 Hammerheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Space Above & Beyond was a decent show. Watched the first series and enjoyed it - did it go to a second, third series? :confused:

It reminded me of the Wing Commander games story line. Human race exploring space, encounters malevolent alien race and all hell breaks loose. Single pilot fighers, dog fights in space etc etc.

PS - shame on those knocking Firefly, sure the blend of western/sci-fi is a weird one, but if you can see past that, it is a bloody good show. A non-comedy show hasn't made me genuinely laugh out loud so often - great humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Sidane wrote:
    Space Above & Beyond was a decent show. Watched the first series and enjoyed it - did it go to a second, third series? :confused:

Nope, it only lasted one series. The ending was annoying
    PS - shame on those knocking Firefly, sure the blend of western/sci-fi is a weird one, but if you can see past that, it is a bloody good show. A non-comedy show hasn't made me genuinely laugh out loud so often - great humour.

I tried watching it but the western aspect of it just pissed me off. The flim looks intresting and I'll give it one more chance. As always the trailers look tasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

More like Dung: Above and Beyond ,what an awful show. Otherwise why, as the previous contributor pointed out, was it cancelled? 'Cos it was rubbish, and I watched it, and it was still rubbish, for decent science fiction, you really can only read a book, nearly all other attempts to reproduce it on tv or film have been very shallow and juvenile in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    More like Dung: Above and Beyond ,what an awful show. Otherwise why, as the previous contributor pointed out, was it cancelled? 'Cos it was rubbish, and I watched it, and it was still rubbish, for decent science fiction, you really can only read a book, nearly all other attempts to reproduce it on tv or film have been very shallow and juvenile in comparison.

have you watched any of the new battlestar galactica?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, thats very very good, well rounded characters, doesn't rely on SFX and when it needs to does so with excellence, fanatastic stuff, looking forward to the next season.
    Don't get me wrong I love tv and Scifi type shows but Space Above and Beyond was poor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Don't get me wrong I love tv and Scifi type shows but Space Above and Beyond was poor.
    Now I thought it was fun, but I'm fairly sure the science element wasn't really present...

What did you make of "Babylon 5" then? The creator prided himself on being in touch with NASA consultants to get various effects, such as gravity, as scientifically plausible as a story would allow.

And did you catch the movie "Primer"? A fairly interesting look at time travel which kept pace with current quantum theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

CiDeRmAn wrote:

Is it just me getting Deja vu of the post that you made about the new series of Dr. Who when it came out?

Above and Beyond was a fantastic series, which was gritty and realistic in that it portrated the hopelessness of war to a very high degree. I've always felt that this was one of the reasons for the show being canned...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

allot of sci- argueing here

SAAB was a great show i love dit sjy 1 sat night at 2am i think wasent it?
    and years before that net2 at 12.45 or something i watched it both times it aried every week when i was a kid a freind of mine calls the show cheese above and beyond cause it is such a cheesy show i liked it but wont buy the dvd too many other sci-fi shows are high on the dvd list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

dvdrips are at the usual place...what? It's not like you can buy it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

The show got good ratings apparently, if you do a google you'll find most sources attribute the shows cancellation to network politics.

I really enjoyed the show myself (watched the whole series again over the summer in the space of 2 weeks). It does have the odd overcheesed cringy bit now and then but overall its excellently done.

Also, someone here made the argument that it got cancelled because it was PAP. I could make a decent sized list but all I need is one show...actually hell make it too seeing as the first got put back on the air:

Family Guy.

Futurama.

Fan Site:
    http://web-worthy.com/saab/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Haven't looked at this forum in ages but I'm so glad I did.

This is great news. I've been looking forward to seeing this series again for many many years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I received a DVD from PlayUSA this morning and just happened to look at the attached sheet of paper listing new releases etc. Low and behold; Space, Above and Beyond, The Complete Series on DVD... finally! :D It's listed in the Top Sellers list too!

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=738881

Only £28 GBP = €41.50, just ordered it now. Never thought they'd release this on DVD!

Oh and thanks for reminding me about Nowhere Man, that was such a good show, never caught the final episodes though.

Advertisement