Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Nail in the punk coffin

• 11-07-2005 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Greenday last night sealed their fate and sold out once and for all by refusing to allow the BBC to show any of their set from T in the park because they were making a DVD of it.. jerks......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sorry mate, but they sold out years ago. Probably before you even heard of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Right after International Superhits was the hit... but they did show signs as Warning came out... pity, i really liked Nimrod

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's so fúckin annoying that the people they try hardest to impress are the very same ones who'll roar down the street at someone with a mohawk/tattoos/piercings, attack them for being "freaks" and these people are the very ones who helped the band get to where they are today before they were a marketable product.

To be fair to the band though, their music has fairly naturally progressed and hasn't really changed that much. They've just gotten more attention now that anti-bush sentiment is a viable commodity.

I'll still be going to any gigs they play here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

No, you are totally wrong there. The kind of people who shout and jeer at punks are not the kind of people who listen to Green Day.

• Advertisement

Well, I might not be completely right, but I didnt actually say anything about the people who listen to Greenday. It was the people who Greenday are trying impress. The pop culture Aber crombie and fitch wearing jocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"Green day: great set, really interacted well with the crowd. Played all their good stuff. The "I hate bush" stuff is really getting old at this stage. I want to listen to music at a festive/gig not listen to politics."

Taken from the gigs & events forum here

Yeah, I saw that. You're gonna get at least a few of that type of person at any gig though. At least for the few that might not want to know about it there are a load more that might feel a little more aware about things around them. The last album seems to be purely anti-bush/iraqi war related. There are other issues in the world like. I suppose their free to do wtf they want on their record but it makes it a bit saturated......

might actually go listen to it now, just in case I'm wrong again ;)

youre always gonna get that when a band has mass appeal its a double edged sword really a band wouldnt get that amount of coverage or be popular without "selling out" to some extent.the flip side of this i guess is mcdonalds sponsered bands like destiny's child appearing at highly politicised events like live 8.
    rage against the machine are another example- lots of their fans couldnt give a f-kk about the politics but love to jump around like twats to "killing in the name of.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Heh, punk coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

What is selling out exactly?
    A band sells out the minute they sign that recording contract.
    A lot of the time its the bands managers that make these decisions without the band ever knowing about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

someone has truly sold out when they choose profit over exposure, like greenday day did at the festival in question... no desire to win new listeners just a desire to rip off their own fans.......
    and as for never having heard of them before they sold out well i dunno, i was kinda there the first time they released american idiot (it was called dookie back then) and the second time they released it (insomniac that time)
    and i think i even remember one of my friends showing me their new album back when i'd never heard of them, that one was called Kerplunk.... i just thought it sad that one of my favourite bands of my youth are now just peddaling the same generic cr*p to a younger generation who probably don't realise how much these guys have changed.. IMO they're as bad as the walsh fella!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Heh, punk coffin.

It's better to burn out than to FADE AWAY.

Lay me out in my P-Tizzies tbh.

not as bad as the walsh fella though not far off.
    i dont think green day set out to make cash from the start but thats what walsh does/did.
    the first time i heard of greenday was when they played a gig in the white horse in dublin back in the early 90,s.
    next time i heard of them they were on the david letterman show.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 biscuit

Umm... Greenday are not punk! It's that simple and the last nail in the punk coffin would be a good punk band selling out like GBH or the UK Subs (just for example)

No the last nail in the punk coffin would be ALL the good punk bands selling out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Heh, punk coffin.
    lol, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

Green Gay

veryslowey wrote:
    Green Gay
    OMFG!!! The punk trousers have returned to pass judgement!!!
    sW0ot!1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

lol I only noticed that said Gay now. Stupid big letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Greenday are like ready salted tayto's tbh,
    anyone who listens to them clearly has no taste and has yet to experience good tasting tayto's like salt and vinegar or cheese 'n onion.

Yeah they were ok when they were original but then they became ready salted and they got boring. Still they were never cheese and onion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

stab pop punk!
    Stab it in the eye!!!

Just wait till ronan keeting gets his mo-hawk!
    Just wait I tell's ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Greenday last night sealed their fate and sold out once and for all by refusing to allow the BBC to show any of their set from T in the park because they were making a DVD of it.. jerks......
    Greenday I repeat were and have never being a proper Punk band

Old school Punk since '78 "Janer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭tomMK1

green day were never punk. they just imitated the jam circa 1978

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭tomMK1

in fact the minute punk became a fashion, it all died. Punk is an attitude, not clothes, music or a cool factor

It's the way you think tbh. It's a mindset. **** fashion anyone these days can go into a shop and buy a pair of converse shoes, get a chain, some ripped jeans and a band t-shirt. What I hate even more is people who wear Animal and Quicksilver clothes and thing that they are all "untrendy" in their clothes. ****ing poseurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

I personally cant stand Greenday, they make me near physically sick that lead singer iriitates me. I dont know much about punk though are dropkick murphys punk? I like them. I want to rev it with the punk crew what do I need to do???Please help me
    Kind Regards
    Punko Smunko

Listen you. See no.30

• Advertisement

madfistbt wrote:
    I want to rev it with the punk crew what do I need to do???
    Well... first off you need a pair of punk trousers...

Listen you. See no.30
    Yeah, what he said tbh.

No. 30 yourself now dregin if you don't be careful.

Whats this number 30 lark, I honestly dont understand. Please babes and babettes I need advise to punk it up with the punkians

Hey! I thought we told you to look at no.30
    pfft you'd think once is enough.

What number 30 you regular visiter to Tralee'r you. Please assist me Im an Outback Boogie in Malebrawonga

• Advertisement

Ah jasus can ye not look at no.30 you blind infidel.

and Im not from tralee!!!!

what is it you want to know anyway?

I want to get on diggidy diggidy down with the punk crew as a lot of them punk girls are worth investing in. I really like punk it is, it is wicked, I am luvin it, luvin it, luvin it. I like Dropkicks song warrior code is that a good start or do I have to listen to the likes of the sex pistols. I dont like green day does that give me extra street cred are there any more Irish punk bands are the pogues punk music. I Really want to Know.Please sirs and sirresse. Ill Mind The Zogabongs for you. Oh ye I wear Levi anti fit is that punk or a load or munk????????

The fact that you want ot be a punk sooooooo badly doesn't make you a punk. It makes you a jazz artiste.

What special qualifications do you need to be a punk, maybe I should want to be a punk a little less and then I will be accepted by the rockingist bunch of sparklers this side of hazle brook. Why are there no punks in dublin anymore I remember they used to go round dublin with the mad punk hair maybe I should get that hair, please Ill stop listening to Samantha Mumba do you reckon thatl help. I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

This guy's more punk than any of us.

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    This guy's more punk than any of us.

It's all just an illusion.

And Btfistman-whatever-your-name-is seriosly no.30 for the last fecking time!

I dont know what number 30 means please provide me with a deeper description. Are you from CastleIsland mr munk. Im trying to talk to some punk girl in the black baseball cap. I really do hope to hear some ritchous information on how to obtain an unfair advantage in smucking her. I heard a nasty rumour dropkick are in fact American, does this mean I should stay clear of them or does it give them an alter ego, I should endevour to follow in order to impress this luvely lady. I have a funky Ford Cortina is that punk or do I need a blues brothers style chicago police car

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Has Thatcher fallen again?

I remember when the punks used to go round dublin with the mad spikey hair and everyone was scared of them, where are they now they should bring them back I liked them fellas

Shouldn't you be busy posing somewhere around now?

Shouldn't you be busy posing somewhere around now?

Dear Mr Munk

Got to admit a Cusstastic cuss from the cusser from the Kingdom of Kerry , Im ashamed im not hip and with it to rev it with the punk crew, gotta make sure I dont wash and listen to Greenday and be depressed to be with the the coolest munk from Kerry.

FYI i was taking the piss :rolleyes:

some people take things too seriously these days.#

and also FYI
    people who don't wash = knackers
    people who listen to greenday = spanners (well most of them)
    People who are depressed = annoying goths.

and if you mix all that together you'd probably have a right spastic

FYI i was taking the piss :rolleyes:

People who are depressed = annoying goths. .

Some goth girls are madly fit, Id cheer them up if they let me

FYI? I take it that stands for Fine young Irishman. Ah Jesus I knew you loved me Mr munk, you spunk you

madfistbt wrote:
    FYI? I take it that stands for Fine young Irishman. Ah Jesus I knew you loved me Mr munk, you spunk you

I have to hand it to you, that's good. But i was thinking more along the lines of Fúcking Yuppie Idiot :p

madfistbt wrote:
    Some goth girls are madly fit, Id cheer them up if they let me

maybe a few :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement