Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaining acess to windows partition from Linux Partition

• 19-07-2001 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

ok lads,
    im a total newbie with linux, just installed it a few days ago - mainly just to experiment with a diferent OS.
    what i want to do it to be able to listen to my mp3s which are on the windows partition, while i am using linux. i have most of the mp3s on cd but its the best part of 4 gigs so i dont want to unnecessarily waste that much disk space.
    /dev/hd5 (that make sense to anyone?) or summit is where i think i can access them, but it will not allow me to view what is in that.
    where do i enter the root password to access these areas?
    its mandrake 8.0 btw
    tnx

(edit) anyone suggest a decent linux mp3 player aswell, ta again

[This message has been edited by davoc (edited 19-07-2001).]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If it's FAT or FAT32, it's no problem, just mount it:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdaX /mnt/win

Where /dev/hdaX is the relevant partition and /mnt/win is a directory you create to access it from locally. If you wanted it mounted at startup, you can use fstab (/etc/fstab). Have a look at the man pages for more info:

man mount
    man fstab

I'm not sure about NTFS, the last time I asked NTFS support was flaky or non-existant, but that was a while back.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

Linux supports NTFS afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

most out of the box linux distros have a standard kernel installed and will not, usually support ntfs. Yuo can however recompile your kernel and add in the ntfs support. i would say that this is not for the faint hearted. and i reccomend using the X kernel setup as you cant really go wrong with it.

Just a note on kernel compiling:
    i recently compiled a 2.4.5 kernel on my Athlon 750 and it took 50 minutes. so if you have a slow machine dont bother.sorry i left something out there

[rant]
    Get rid of that rediculous distribution, and get a real one. i.e slackware/debian
    i know ur a beginner, but u wont learn díck if you stick to them big fancy assed, scuttery distro's.[/rant]

mandrake angers me in a way only second to corel!!!!!

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 21-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Zefren

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NinjaBart:
    Linux supports NTFS afaik.</font>

Read access is fairly stable in the latest kernels. Trying to write to a NTFS partition from linux is akin to playing russian roulette with ur partitions ;-)

Zef

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Zefren

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by flamegrill:

Just a note on kernel compiling:
    i recently compiled a 2.4.5 kernel on my Athlon 750 and it took 50 minutes. so if you have a slow machine dont bother.</font>

huh? i did it with 2.4.4 on a p200/128mb/1gb IDE driver last week and it only took about 15mins to run. What command were u using to compile?

"make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && sudo make modules_install" is what i use and I've never had it take 50mins to run smile.gif

Zef

[This message has been edited by Zefren (edited 21-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

"make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && sudo make modules_install"

i used the very command smile.gif

well i was apt-get updating the system at the time. maybe it took 50 mins cause of that! who knows smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I did exactly what your tryin to do yesterday smile.gif put RH7 on Win2k box and wanted to access my MP3s on Win2k partition. Is Fat32 so OK - didn't like me tryin to mount NTFS partiton.

as dahamsta put do:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda(X) /mnt/win

but don't forget b4 to mkdir /mnt/win

Also xmms is a cool MP3 player installed by default on Red Hat. Do a locate for xmms. Its probably there already. Otherwise D/L from www.xmms.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by flamegrill:
    i know ur a beginner, but u wont learn díck if you stick to them big fancy assed, scuttery distro's.</font>
    Correct this to: "I know your a beginner, but you won't learn sh*t if you stick to some ****y clone like Linux" and then I'll give you respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Aargh - no sooner did I post this topic than my 1337 MP3 player took speed and plays 3min songs in 10secs - Whats up wit that then? I tryed to rebuild using latest RPM - but nothing - Anyone heard of this?

[This message has been edited by Loomer (edited 28-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

ta for that lads,
    been busy abusing my liver the past few weeks so havent had a chance to check back, but have gotten it going now tonight thanks to your suggestions,
    ill be back to annoy ye again id say, still not to sure what im doing
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I mounted my XP NTFS partition under Mandrake 8 (2.4.3 Kernel), it couldn't read some directories. Anyone know what that's about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

XP uses NTFS 5.1, not 5.0 like Windows 2000. Maybe it's something to do with that.

Partition Magic won't run on it (6.0 version is just for WIndows 2000, won't run on NTFX 5.1 for XP).

However, according to the Register, Win2k has no trouble accessing 5.1 drives so who knows what murkiness is going on in Redmond.

Advertisement