Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's your favourite Car Film?

Options
  • 11-07-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

Just following on from the best driving music thread I was wondering what are people's favourite films which have a car or bike theme eg
    -films about racing
    -road movies
    -films with great chases
    -films with great cars/bikes in them

Lots of films have been made over the years that fit these criteria. One of my faves is Mad Max which I saw for the umpteenth time on TV the other night. What a great car film. V8 Aussie muscle cars, crashes, mad bikers, violence, revenge. Excellent :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

If anyone says either of the fast and furious films, the new italian job or torque..

I'll personally hunt you down and tell you how bad they are...

Days of thunder!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, a tough one

As mentioned, Days of Thunder, or even better, The Italian Job! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ronin!

edit: while Im on - RotalicaV, can you change your sig from " It's not rape.. its suprise sex!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Ronin for the car chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Thelma and Louise! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

back to the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ronin! Incredible chase

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bullit or Gone in 60 seconds (Original).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So many themes - so many films!

Okay best chase is nearly impossible to decide on, one of the best is in The Mackintosh Man, (which most won't know), obviously Mad Max 2 has to get a mention for the last 20 mins, Ronin likeswise 2 or 3 great chases.

Walter Hills The Driver is a terrific movie, the chases are cool too. At the silly end of the spectrum "Freebie and the Bean" gets a mention for planting a car into a skyscraper from an elevated freeway.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Remember that film about the guy being chased across the desert by a nut case truck driver, it was called "Duel" was directed by Spielberg in the 1970s I think. Wasn't the best road movie in the world but was amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

DUEL!

Then the original Italian Job or the new Gone In 60 Seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

- Gone in 60 seconds
    - Vanishing point (the '97 remake though.....much better than the original IMHO)
    - Ronin for the car chase

There's a few good chases in Bad Boys II too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I was watching the Blues brothers from 1980 the other night, it has a couple of good car chases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Herbie, Herbie goes bananas.

Runs like phuque. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

bazz you read my mind bullit or gone in 60 seconds the original one of course !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

defo fast and furious films or gone in 60 seconds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A few more that haven't been mentioned
    Le Mans (the best racing film IMO)
    Race with the Devil (Peter Fonda and Warren Oates in a motorhome being chased by satanists)
    Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
    (another Peter Fonda one with a yellow Dodge Charger being chased by a helicopter)
    Badlands (very little car action but I like the bit that's in it)
    Never Say Never Again (like the chase with the mid engined Renault 5 turbo)
    Death Race 2000 (bizarre)

Always loved Convoy and the Smokey and the Bandit films too :)

Anyone ever see the film "Rendezvous". Haven't seen it myself but apparently it consists of a Ferrrari being driven at high speed around Paris on public roads.

Have never heard of Mackintosh Man but from the desciption on IMDB it sounds like a great chase.

Films with cool cars in them:
    Dazed and Confused
    American Graffiti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Fast and the Furious.

Brillant films, people catch get past the thought of loving a good film. Or they ll be seen as a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

The Bourne Identity has an excellent car chase, basically a mini going crazy around paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Gerry wrote:
    The Bourne Identity has an excellent car chase, basically a mini going crazy around paris.

That was a cool chase with the Mini,
    Ronin for the car chase with the S8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Duel, excellent movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote:
    At the silly end of the spectrum "Freebie and the Bean" gets a mention for planting a car into a skyscraper from an elevated freeway.

RTE 1 are showing "Freebie..." tonight.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Grand Prix - 1966 - John Frankenheimer ....James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, Yves Montand, and Toshiro Mifune.

Le Mans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

The Goddess of 1967 - try that for obscure.

The French Connection.

Ronin
    Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Bikes:....Faster
    Cars:.....Ronin
    Trucks:..Convoy (legend song & got us all into CB radio too)
    Trains:...Thomas The Tank Engine
    Planes:..TopGun, ConAir
    Misc:....Terminator 1/2/3 - all had excellent vehicular scenes

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

One of my favourite movies of all-time and possibly the greatest road movie ever made:
    Two-Lane Blacktop - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067893/

Tagline: You can never go fast enough...

Plot Outline: Story of two men drag racing across the USA in a primer grey 55 chevy. Wilson is the mechanic, James Taylor is the driver.

James Taylor .... The Driver
    Warren Oates .... G.T.O
    Dennis Wilson .... The Mechanic

Directed by Monte Hellman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

The Goddess of 1967 - a vacuous Art House movie? Doesn't sound so good on IMDB.com (Internet Movie Database):

The Goddess of 1967 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255195/

Visually stylish but vacuous road movie.
    The Goddess of the title is a Citroen DS which a young Japanese Man agrees to buy over the internet. When he arrives in Australia to get it, the owner is dead and he embarks on a journey into the outback with a blind girl for a reason which is never clear, even when it is made apparent at the end. The result is probably best described as contemporary Art House. The film substitutes a vacuous but street smart style for content, and bizarre quirkiness for characterisation. Its flashbacks into the deprived and abused past of the blind girl are bleak, but otherwise there is little story and the two main characters appear almost lost in the vast landscapes they are travelling through. Could Australian movies please get over their current pretentious pre-occupation with mad and irrational characters and meaningless storylines?

The votes on this site, and some press reviews, suggest that some people enjoyed this film. I suspect they are the same people who enjoyed performance art during the 1990s and Andy Warhol movies in the 1980s. Clara Law succeeds in striking a style, but tells us nothing we want to know. Even the Australian outback, which dominates the film, gets a raw deal: the locations appear random, the colour in the outdoor scenes is fashionably bleached, and the whole thing was shot during the wettest summer for years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ferris Bueler's Day Off

What a car - what an ending!

Or Miami Vice (the movie) with Crockett's Daytona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Gav's all time top five:

5. Bullet - Timeless classic!!
    4. Fast & The Furious (Even tho it spawned some of the most horrible looking skanger bangers known to man!) :D
    3. Mad Max 1 - The Road warrior... lOl!!! :rolleyes:
    2. Bourne Identity - Made me wanna go out and buy a mini !
    1. Ronin - Simply brilliant!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Taxi - The French version.

Advertisement