Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does IBB charge for exceeding the download cap?

• 11-07-2005 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Howdy,

I got my Dad the Breeze 1Mb with Irish Broadband last week, and it's working ok for him so far (tested 900 Kbps up / 600 Kpbs down - odd that it's so backward).

I know that they have a download cap of 30 Gb per month, but I can't find the charge per Mb beyond that. Other providers seem to hover around the 3c mark, but I'd like to know specifics. Have they even been enforcing the limit?

Also - is there an online tool available to check your current monthly usage? I saw the ones for Eircom etc but none for IBB.

I have an email into their support crew but from reading this forum it sounds like I'd be better phoning them...

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Not really sure mate,you would want to be doing some seriously downloading to exceed 30GB a month though

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well, at the start of a broadband contract people tend to try and download the entire Internet, or they have a list of stuff in their head that's been building up.

I know I did.

I'd love to know just wherabouts I am on my usage (I'm on the same 1mb product), I'm sure I've hit over 20GB at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

does IBB have a cap? also, im sure IBB tech support could tell you what you've downloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

im on the old 512k breeze upgraded to 1 meg, the cap is 60gb afaik but maybe its different between breeze & ripwave(its capless for 2 meg).

i dont think they enforce it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

im on 2mb and use du meter to track the usage 9.4Gb last month this month is quiet 3.6Gb so far.

But yeah i find du meter very good for tracking usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

brikelly wrote:
    Howdy,

I got my Dad the Breeze 1Mb with Irish Broadband last week, and it's working ok for him so far (tested 900 Kbps up / 600 Kpbs down - odd that it's so backward).

I know that they have a download cap of 30 Gb per month, but I can't find the charge per Mb beyond that. Other providers seem to hover around the 3c mark, but I'd like to know specifics. Have they even been enforcing the limit?

Also - is there an online tool available to check your current monthly usage? I saw the ones for Eircom etc but none for IBB.

I have an email into their support crew but from reading this forum it sounds like I'd be better phoning them...

Thanks in advance....

I'll put 20 Euro on it the tech guys dont know ! call em and ask ! monkeys they are

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

IBB dont charge for going over the cap. repeated instances of users going over their cap result in a strongly worded letter telling you to stop, else you'll be cut off AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

The_B_Man wrote:
    IBB dont charge for going over the cap. repeated instances of users going over their cap result in a strongly worded letter telling you to stop, else you'll be cut off AFAIK.

so could this be the one loop hole in getting out of the contract, as opposed to going through the sh1tty complaints proceedure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its called a fair usage policy. People who want an uncapped service for P2P/file sharing etc. are advised to go for the 2Mb line, which has no cap. Realistically, 30Gb is a lot of data for an average user to download; customers who consistently go over the limit on the 1Mb service are contacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think they should cap all their services. Thay cant handle the load they currently have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brikelly

Thanks a million lads! I'll get my Da to keep an eye out for the strongly worded letter, and I'll have him install du meter as well.

FYI, the reason I'm worried about this is because I really do think he'll hit the limit - I set him up with Skype and the new video plugin for it (www.video4im.com) for doing video calls. Also, my Da has just discovered WinMX and Soulseek, and there's a lot of rubbish country music out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I thought they would throttle you down to 128kbit or something like that unitl the following month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

yah im on 2meg uncapped so not specifically sure but as the above poster mentioned i would expect an unwarned and sudden drop in maximum speed if you go much over...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm under the impression that as long as you don't go ape maxing out the line during business hours, they won't be too put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah you should expect some traffic shaping if your consistently exceeding the cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

A sales guy informed me that they do not financially penalise you or disconnect you, they just urge you to upgrade.

FYI if you manage to get a good connection with IBB you can do some serious GB usage. They are symmetric lines so they are BitTorrent heaven.

It does involve leaving your machine running for extended periods. A friend in england wanted to test the 'unlimited' aspect of his BB connection and racked up 60GB in a month on a 256/1024 line.

Advertisement