Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some questions on spells

Options
  • 11-07-2005 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi ass i said before i am completly new to paganism and witchcraft and i need to know some things about spells.like is it always nessecery to cast a circle?what r u actually doing when u r closing a circle? does this mean that u dont draw it all the way to begin with?what spells did people start off with,preferebly ones that dont require lots of hard to find ingrediants and are not to complicated for a begginer,and do all spells have to be done at night time and if so does it have to be at a full moon and does it have to be done before 12:00 am on that night?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.wiccanway.net/bosstart.html

Dear you really need to take the time and read and explore for youself.
    You have to learn the basics and then go looking for a teacher.
    People are not going to teach you stuff over the internet because there is a karmic link and debt involved in teaching.

you job as a seeker is to go out and see and read and learn, there are plenty of links here to get you started , no one is going to hand you a how to guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

sugardaddy wrote:
    like is it always nessecery to cast a circle?
    Short answer: no.
    Longer answer: Yes for some things. If you're doing some heavy ceremonial magic involving summonings then you better have that circle or you're in trouble (and what with the way CM types are, it had better be exactly the right type of circle done in exactly the right way).

With much Wicca style magic the circle is there for protection, but it's also there to help contain the energy you raise. Arguably that's it's primary purpose.

In some other forms of magic there is no circle.

In just about any form of magic that is folk-based (as opposed to some Ceremonial forms) you do what you can with what you have when you need to. However, you can get a circle mentally cast pretty fast in a pinch if needs be, but there's a world of difference between taking shortcuts because you've no choice and because you're lazy.

Circles aren't just used for magic. For example, all Wiccan rituals take place in a circle, even if there's no working.
    sugardaddy wrote:
    what r u actually doing when u r closing a circle? does this mean that u dont draw it all the way to begin with?
    "Closing the circle" normally refers to the process of getting rid of it when you're finished.
    sugardaddy wrote:
    what spells did people start off with,
    Couldn't tell you to be honest (saying that makes me feel old :)).
    sugardaddy wrote:
    preferebly ones that dont require lots of hard to find ingrediants and are not to complicated for a begginer,
    I'd say not to bother beginning with doing a spell if you are teaching yourself, but with getting an understanding of the worldview of whatever system you are going to work in.
    If you're being taught by someone directly then getting stuck in can be great, but otherwise you can't really cookbook it. Plenty of films and plays have real magical rituals in them, but they don't generally work (though some times things have gone a bit odd, and some times they've done bits wrong on purpose)
    sugardaddy wrote:
    and do all spells have to be done at night time and if so does it have to be at a full moon and does it have to be done before 12:00 am on that night?
    There are planetary associations with different times of the day at different times of the week that can be worked with, if you have to opportunity to time your work to coincide with them.
    The different phases of the moon have different associations too; construction, destruction, beginnings, endings.
    The full moon is considered an ideal time for an esbat - which would be both a religious rite and have some magical working too, "better it be when the
    moon is full" as the Charge says, but there are reasons to do those at other times too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Also, midnight isnt the middle of the night really. Midnight is halfway between when the sun goes down and the sun comes up which could be at any time like 2am or earlier or later depending on the time of year.

Sugardaddy, I know your eager to learn, but if you listen more, you'll hear a lot more. So many questions! I think Talliesin has more patience than you do questions. And thats coming from someone who had to learn to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rothen

I don't like the idea of the wiccan 'mind' circle, I would say to make a circle with salt, dirt, or something earthy for actual protection...but thats just me. If you want to try some small magic, get yourself in tune with the land, lie on a field and watch the clouds go by, feel her energy, look for signs etc, this is only the basics though, but I feel doing it helps me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

sugardaddy wrote:
    what spells did people start off with,preferebly ones that dont require lots of hard to find ingrediants and are not to complicated for a begginer

Not exactly spells but you don't need anything and you need to focus on it and just keep doing it till it works. Lucid dreaming is when your in complete control of your dreams and you can do what you want.

http://www.ld4all.com/#frames(content=ld4all_welcome.shtml)

The most important thing you can do at this stage is train your mind to be completely empty, it sounds easy but it is very hard to completely empty your mind of all thought. That will give you the focus you need to be able to perform spells correctly. You can do it at home but it's easier somewhere like The Ben of Howth. When you do it correctly some impressive things can happen.

It takes a lot of concentration for me to do it, I can stop thinking easily enough (now) but getting Pink Floyd to stop playing in my head is very hard.

I don't really do spells, when I got into paganism two years ago I wanted to do them, but there was too many ingredients to get and trying to cast a circle in your mind and concetrate on spell without any physical prop was hard. Eventually I will but at the moment I'm still enjoying learning the stories and appreciating what's around me.

When you can do lucid dreaming then you can move on to Astral Projection, a lot harder and a lot more dangerous also, I managed it twice (in a period of about 6 months) first time was grand but didn't last long, second time just as I was projecting out I heard screaming in my head and I said F*ck that, apparently that's just astral noise that can't harm you, but your better off waiting a long time before that, after you can do spells really well. That said though here's a website about it.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rothen wrote:
    I don't like the idea of the wiccan 'mind' circle
    Not sure I like the idea of a "wiccan 'mind' circle" either :p

Advertisement