Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload speeds PLEASE HELP!

• 12-07-2005 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi, i work as a Webdesigner, and server administrator.

one of my clients is a major games clan in ireland ( No Names )

I am looking to get at lest 1024 UPLOAD speeds for a server i have, and can not find any info. ive read the upload speeds post, but there is only 1 link, and that isp dont have dsl in the area.
    I have got installed Irish Broadband's 2048/2048, last march, but am lucky to get 300 kbps ups, and 600 downs at best. i am getting them disconnected, and now desperetly need this upload. Can someone please tell me where i can get these upload speeds, download speeds make NO difference to me.
    Pls help, as i have 20 days to get this sorted. I am in dublin 12 walkinstown.

Sub.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

i am afraid i cant help......... ssorry

i dont understand as i am only 14 but you seem desperate..

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

boy1er1990 wrote:

sorry

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,955 ✭✭✭✭Basq

boy1er1990 wrote:

sorry
    Gotta ask.. why did you bother replying?"

Do you purchase Buy And Sell every week just to ring up people and tell them "i don't really want that... sorry!"... cos i do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

boy1er1990 wrote:

sorry

And 1990 is your year of birth...hahahaha!!!!
    Im tempted to see your other replies in threads!

Back to the thread.
    BT have SDSL up to 2048/2048 and as with wired services it does what it says on the tin.....gives 2Mbit each way or more than likely 85%...more than enough to fill your needs.
    The only problem is that its supposed to be freakisly expensive.
    Give them a call as consistent 1024k & 2048k uploads can only be provided through SDSL(reliable) or IBB(less reliable) and to a lower extent Satellite in Ireland!!!

zuma wrote:
    Im tempted to see your other replies in threads!

As was I. Here's another classic .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Hahaha.....yeah.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3038080&postcount=4

Getting a little carried away!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're looking to host something, it will be cheaper and more reliable to use somebody like Racks365. Those SDSL products are normally sold as leased line replacements, hence the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If you are hosting for a major client and its a game server your hosting. I wouldn't hold out for big hopes if you plan on running it to a home connection. For the sake of this argument, a home connection is considered any connection running to your home unless its fiber going into a ISP's core network.

And then what happens if the power goes out? Got redundency? Server fails? Got a backup handy? I was like you and thinking hosting professional servers at home was possible. It isn't. If you want a small scale server, fine.

For anysort of professional job go to the people who know what they are doing. If your home connection fails you might have a SLA but what is it? 4hours +. If a professional data center/hosting company has a connection fail. Automatically switch over to another. Unless you live in a data center doing stuff like that is unfeasable. If you want names; Rack365, or blacknight are two that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garrettheaver

True, EsatBT have shown incompetence the likes of which i've come to expect from Eircom in the pricing of their SDSL product. All is not lost however as Leap (leap.ie) are offering a 1Meg SDSL service for €89 (ex Vat) per month.

They're installing their own DSLAM's in Eircom exchanges and last time I rang them they still hadn't done mine (it was however planned for around september). Who knows you might get lucky and be on an already enabled exchange.

I know the Leap has a contention of 15:1 whereas the BT service is 1:1 but hands up anyone who has ever majorly suffered from a contended connection?

TimTim - Sorry but i'd have to disagree, I think home DataCenters are more than possible. Ok not for high volume commercial sites but for experimental commercial or fun sites why not. How much time was your connection unavailable in the last 3 months regardless of cause? - Zero for me and I've two servers running 24/7.

For those who outgrow the home DataCenter I'd go to the big boys - DataElectronics in Clondalkin or ServeCentric in Blanchardstown. Both mutli-million euro places. I can personally vouch for the lads in DE as we (my place of work) host some of our equipment there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

leap have 2 SDSL services , uncontended and contended, their 2mbit (2048:2048) 1:1 contention costs about €1000 a month ex vat but a leased line would cost a lot more.

The 15:1 contention 2048:2048 SDSL costs €169 a month (ex vat) .

http://www.leap.ie/download/CSA-SDSL.pdf

ESAT only do a 1:1 contention (ie uncontended) variant of SDSL for a lot more than Leap would .

• Advertisement

Yup - Just to follow up Sponge Bob I have my Leap Application in front of me so here are the prices as they're quoting

1Meg 15:1 Contention - €89 ex Vat
    1Meg 1:1 Contention - €169 ex Vat
    2Meg 15:1 Contention - €249 ex Vat
    2Meg 1:1 Contention - €449 ex Vat

When I spoke to BT about 2 months ago they wanted €500 a month for the 1Meg 1:1 service - jokers.

Miles cheaper than a Leased Line - Last prices I got from Netsource for a Leased Line were in the 12,000 per Annum range.

Rack365 is like €70 a month for a basic box and 10Mbps connectivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I know the Leap has a contention of 15:1 whereas the BT service is 1:1 but hands up anyone who has ever majorly suffered from a contended connection?

Erm, take a look at the broadband board. Its full of people from different ISP's giving out about crap download speeds and terrible latency during peak hours.

15:1 (or 24:1 or anything:1) contention is great... untill your contended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Blaster99 wrote:

Last time I heard *365 are in INEX. So ping times should be that bit smaller. How smaller I don't know. But every bit counts.

By the way, does anyone have a handle on the exchanges that Leap have enabled?

Snaga wrote:
    Erm, take a look at the broadband board. Its full of people from different ISP's giving out about crap download speeds and terrible latency during peak hours.

15:1 (or 24:1 or anything:1) contention is great... untill your contended.

Not to detract from what anyone else is saying but I've used three different providers in Dublin over the last few years and two different providers in Belfast before that - all contended - never had any issues.

I've also had the privilage of being called out to homes and companies to "fix" a slow broadband only to find either a fistfull of adware hogging the line or a company with a bunch of people emuling or kazaaing wondering where they're precious pipe is going

Not to say this is what other people are experiencing. How far are they from their exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Thanks all for your posts ( with the parralell universe exeption of boy1er1990 lol ) home data centres do work BTW, other than the uploads speed problem, ive been doing it for 6 months no problems.

Leap seem like a good bet, but the only problem bieng strict direct debit payments only. i prefer to have a bill, so as if i am having a bad month, i can juggle the payments around a bit. Thats prob just nit-picking. 89 isint bad, but jeez 199 for the installation!!

It seems like we need a balsy ISP to step up and take games hosting and upload speeds into account in there packages. Imagine if one isp did this? they would in my opinion make a lot of clients.

I will probably end up with leap, but if anyone has any other suggestions keep em coming, cheers and thanks,

Sub

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

basquille wrote:
    Gotta ask.. why did you bother replying?"

Do you purchase Buy And Sell every week just to ring up people and tell them "i don't really want that... sorry!"... cos i do!

LMAO, oh god I laughed so hard at that. brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Subliminal, why not just get something from hosting365 or rack365 ?
    For the price of some crap 1meg line you can get at home youll get a 10meg line, no contention, an SLA and a free PC. I really don't see why you insist on doing it at home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Blaster99 wrote:
    Word of warning tho, abuse your bandwith and you will be cut off as we have found out....

Celeron 2.4's with 256mb ram... depending on what game hes trying to host (be it cs:s which needs 256 and will crash the server if it needs more).....

Only other option really is to bide your time and wait for the new eircom sdsl products which may cost you arms and legs ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

rack365 is a contended 10MBit line.
    also if you are not vat registered, you have to add vat on top of those prices. and if you wanted the P4 with 1GB Ram, thats basically about €130-€140 / month after VAT

Advertisement