Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SCP variant?

• 30-08-2001 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I admit, I'm a Unix Moron. However, I've been given a project that involves SCP, so I need to ask a quickie...

is there a Remote MOVE , or remote Rename command in unix (that is as secure as SCP). The client won't use ftp (doesn't trust it) so I have to find a way around this.

If the above do exist, can they be batched and autorun in unix? Is there a windows equivalent - like ssh I think - ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, SSH is what you're looking for.

How much of a moran are you when it comes to unix?

Just do a search for basic unix commands,
    or a crash course in unix, and i'm sure you'll find enough to get you started.

As for SCP, you could download WinSCP a graphical SCP client, I think that allows you to move files.

Also, PuTTy is a good free SSH client.

Hope that helps you in the right direction,

- Kevin

[This message has been edited by p (edited 30-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

nice one!

I'm a complete newbie to unix... I used it a few years ago but at the time just pushed the buttons without knowing what I was doing (a lot of -ls and -lm commands stuff .. boring).

anyway, now I've got to set up a batch file that will transfer a file to a Unix server from a remote host in a secure way. Up to now, scp has been the way but now I need:
    1. to remove the file once it has been copied
    2. to ensure that if the copy takes too long , any data that is being appended to the file (happens irregularly) is not lost - so me was thinking of a rename, recreate a blank original which can be appended to while I copy over (or move over) the filled one that I've renamed.
    3. if possible, set i up that I can archive the file that's been copied (perhaps automated naming based on the time sig. of the transfer).

q1. is this possible
    q2. can I automate a script in unix to run say.. hourly?
    q3. is there a way of setting a failsafe so that the sript does not hang if the source file is in use (ie: being appended to) when it goes to rename. preferably, stop trying, clear the error and retry in ten minutes, without dsrupting the next scheduled run (on the hour)?

why is it that every time I learn something, my bosses ask for a project involving I've never seen before? frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yaaay! found a thing called OpenSSH that uses another thing called Sftp which seems to do all the renaming and stuff (basically ftp).

could still use a few pointers on the scheduling questions etc.

http://www.openssh.com/

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 31-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if you have openSSH you also have sftp..

which is exactly like ftp but its secure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LoLth:

q1. is this possible
    q2. can I automate a script in unix to run say.. hourly?
    q3. is there a way of setting a failsafe so that the sript does not hang if the source file is in use (ie: being appended to) when it goes to rename. preferably, stop trying, clear the error and retry in ten minutes, without dsrupting the next scheduled run (on the hour)?

why is it that every time I learn something, my bosses ask for a project involving I've never seen before? frown.gif
    </font>

q1.
    It sounds okay,
    although it could get abit messy.

q2.
    Yea, although given you've little or no unix experience it might be a but abitious to try it.
    Check out the unix cron command, you can use that for scheduling things. In order to back up the things in the manner you're saying you'd need to learn some shell scripting though, so that's up to you.

q3.
    That'd really just be whatever way you write your batchfile, or shell script.

That's half the fun though isn't it. (:

- Kevin

Advertisement