Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crappy connection in slackware

• 23-08-2001 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

hey, i got a new modem recently , and it works grand in windows, get connection speeds of 46667 no bother, and all transfers are goin at nice steady speeds.
    but when I try to go online in linux i get ****ty connections (no idea what the actuall connection is, dunno where linux stores that ), and transfers are horribly slow.
    this page loaded at 133bytes/s..,
    I am using pppsetup to set everything up and dial up, is there anything I oughta do ourtside of that to affect this ****ty connection? or am I just doomed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

133bytes..do you get lots of timeouts?

have you specified a DNS server?

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Try using minicom to dial in and forget about PPP for the moment. Minicom will let you see what speed you are connecting at.

Have a search for Josh's Linux Guide as well (the IRC channel is at #linuxhelp on the undernet), it has a decent PPP setup guide.

I don't know what pppsetup is, but I will tell you that forget about using linuxconf and other distro supplied stuff to setup dialup networking.

If you want to just check out what speed you connect at to the ISP load minicom from the prompt,

then type:
    ATZ (press return)
    ATDT39939438475757 (press return)(or whatever the number is, no spaces)

After a while it will say something like:

CONNECT 48000

, etc., . Sometimes I get 31200 for example. Maybe you have some ballsed up setting in Pppsetup I don't know.

Also, maybe try using Kppp to dial in and have the terminal option running. It works fine for me in X and does all the DNS stuff really easily like in Windows. Josh's Linux Guide stuff is really good though if you are a newbie.

It might say login: or something then, and you might have to figure out PAP and CHAP stuff so just see if you are dialling in at decent 56k speed first.

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 24-08-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this is what happens when i try to use minicom.

atdt54321
    CONNECT 57600

login:Oceanfree
    Password:
    PPP session from (212.2.162.138) to 212.2.191.15 beginning....~}#.!}!}!} }4}"}
    NO CARRIER

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah, tis all fixed now smile.gif friend logged in and ran pppsetup himself.
    i was doin everythin right, up until it was time to pick the connection speeds
    he picked 57600 ISDN, i waspickin the one under it.. 56k - ISDn.. 23400 I think
    smile.gif
    oh well, *shrug* live and learn, thx for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Nah, I picked the one just below ISDN. You must have picked the 14.4 option, or the highest, so it didn't know what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phaxx:
    Nah, I picked the one just below ISDN. You must have picked the 14.4 option, or the highest, so it didn't know what was going on.</font>

WAN PHAXX!!

Advertisement