Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with linux (newbie)

• 31-08-2001 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

ok i got my hands of a copy of mandrake8 and i installed it today, now how do i get into my windows partitons? someone on tech boards gave me all this stuff to type but i'm completly clueless i've never used linux before i presume it's in the console but how do i get that up smile.gif. More questions...I want to be able to play qw/q3 in linux how do i go about doing that? and getinto me mp3's smile.gif. And one last thing does msn messager work in linux by any chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Does it boot straight into X-Windows? If it is, getting a console/terminal on the screen in a window depends on what Window Manager you are using. I think KDE 2 is default in Mandrake 8.

Click on the icon that has a shell over a monitor on the bottom of the screen, on the taskbar.

That will get a console/shell/terminal up, but Mandrake automatically mounts your other HD partitions. The Windows partition will be in /mnt/DOS_hda1/......that is basically the equivalent of C:\ .

For Q3 you will need to download loads of patches. It's not worth it if you have the windows version already running.

MP3s......go to http://www.freshmeat.net . Mandrake comes with loads of apps, but you can browse apps by categpry and see what is available there.

Best thing to do is click on things and launch apps from the menus to see what they are. The worst thing you can do is stick to what people tell you. There must be a Gig or of stuff that the CD installed, so just mess around running apps; not as root though.

As far as I know, MSN Messenger will not work. Maybe maybe MAYBE if running WINE, but I doubt it.

Also, at a console or shell prompt, if you don't understand a command, type "man <command>", e.g., "shell_prompt$ man ls" you will get the Unix "Manual" type information.

The mount command works like this:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/partition/

You can do "man mount" to find out what it means. the "umount" is teh command to unmount partitions.

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 01-09-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

As for MSN Messenger, search freshmeat.net for a client. I strongly discourage even visiting the WINE site, under any circumstances.. wink.gif Also read some of the guides on linuxdoc.org , there's a wealth of information there, and it's always good to look there, in the HOWTOs or whatnot, first.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Ok found me hardrives smile.gif, now i can't install my isdn ta, it's an asus ISDNlink card, how do i install it? and i have a geforcemx aswell, how do i install latest drivers? sry for questions but this is all new to me smile.gif i cant get qw working either but i'll ask some quakeheads about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent:
    And one last thing does msn messager work in linux by any chance?</font>

As far as I'm aware, yahoo messenger is available for Linux. Go to http://messenger.yahoo.com for more (if that helps you any!!)

[This message has been edited by Lemming (edited 05-09-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there is a client that tells you its MSN Messenger for Linux, but its at version 0.00001 smile.gif Microsoft dont have their own version for some reason!

As someone said above, have a look on freshmeat.org

for mp3's - freeamp is a unix version of winamp - I use it and its great. You could also use Music Match Jukebox, I use that in Windows - they have a unix client now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i have installed mandrake also
    xmms comes with it use it for mp3's very similar to winamp
    I replied to your post on the quake boards saying what to do about quakeworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Advertisement