Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL n horrible latency in the evenings of late...

• 12-07-2005 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

If we look at
    http://ianoc.is-a-geek.net/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=World.Europe.Ireland.TCDMATHS
    (ignore outage between 1 am to 8am....it tried to email me over horrible packet loss and killed itself ;) )

its rather woefull no ? ... i've had no traffic on my line for any of those ping spikes, just ntl and the horrible contention issues i'm having of late :/

anyone else suffering this(in D4 near ringsend...)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

#Its called oversubscribed ! look at when the latency happens, when people arive home from around 5pm work and the pings go throught the roof ! then people got to bed and they drop again around 11PM!

SAme isue in D15!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah well only thing i do with that line is play bf2 and use it for some ssh, only have to survive till october when contract runs out....then off to...hrmm.....IBB mebbie....

Service has just gotten steadily worse over the last year, more outages and increased latency.....

Serenity wrote:
    yeah well only thing i do with that line is play bf2 and use it for some ssh, only have to survive till october when contract runs out....then off to...hrmm.....IBB mebbie....

Service has just gotten steadily worse over the last year, more outages and increased latency.....

yup, but wiat, as IBB is ok but has it also has latency issues! Hang on for NTL to get thier act together ! have you asked is ther improvement works set out? and houd thier tech support team !

Tell them the "marketing materials say gaming enabled" and they are not compliang with this !!! its printed all ove thier website !! Hence misleading !!

I'm sure you will get pushed from pillar to post but ask to speak to a Tech Manager!

you only pay for your gas bill cause you get gas, BB should be the same imho!
    what is advertised should be what you get unless the marketing states otherwise !

Drapper wrote:
    yup, but wiat, as IBB is ok but has it also has latency issues! Hang on for NTL to get thier act together ! have you asked is ther improvement works set out? and houd thier tech support team !
    Their tech support team are just woefull, any dealings i've had with them have just been painfull...
    Tell them the "marketing materials say gaming enabled" and they are not compliang with this !!! its printed all ove thier website !! Hence misleading !!

I'm sure you will get pushed from pillar to post but ask to speak to a Tech Manager!

you only pay for your gas bill cause you get gas, BB should be the same imho!
    what is advertised should be what you get unless the marketing states otherwise !
    they say its XBOX live enabled, i've never seen anything resembling an SLA......

Serenity wrote:
    Their tech support team are just woefull, any dealings i've had with them have just been painfull...

they say its XBOX live enabled, i've never seen anything resembling an SLA......

Well if you sell a product with label attahced it should comply in my opinion !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

My Ntl BB stopped working last Tuesday and the digital tv stopped working at the w'end.
    Had a sevice call yesterday and the tech. said that the problem was outside the house and farther down the line.

This is Knocklyon D16.

The analougue tv reception has also deteriorated, he also blamed this on the same problem.

Anybody else having this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wavey wrote:
    My Ntl BB stopped working last Tuesday and the digital tv stopped working at the w'end.
    Had a sevice call yesterday and the tech. said that the problem was outside the house and farther down the line.

This is Knocklyon D16.

The analougue tv reception has also deteriorated, he also blamed this on the same problem.

Anybody else having this issue?
    Im in the same area and its all good for me...
    TV had gone a bit crap on a few stations, but since we hooked it up through the video its fine..must be some sort of boost there.
    BB is also fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I was onto their tech support last night with the same issue. It's been consistantly bad for about 4 months now. I got some rude little fukker who wanted an argument rather than to resolve the problem.

As has been said they are over subscribed in certain areas. I'll be looking into a refund for this billing period as a high latency service is useless to me.

Canaboid wrote:
    I was onto their tech support last night with the same issue. It's been consistantly bad for about 4 months now. I got some rude little fukker who wanted an argument rather than to resolve the problem.

As has been said they are over subscribed in certain areas. I'll be looking into a refund for this billing period as a high latency service is useless to me.

Well I put the first call to them in my areas about a problem in Jan about latency and its only being sorted this week, so I'm told !

But I have not paid for the service, I've never been able to play it online, I'm in D15

Canaboid wrote:

I will be looking for a refund also now that I have gone a week woithout bb or digital tv.
    Anybody got any experience of getting a refund? What is the best route to take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

NTL cable broadband in a couple of the apartment blocks in Dublin 8 has been a disaster for the past few months. No internet access at all most of the day.

I have found customer service to be pleasant to deal with, their engineers seem like good guys and best of all will call on a Saturday. Not much use though if they can't fix their infrastructure.

seems to be sorted now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

It appears that the problems experienced with Cable BB in the US are now showing their ugly mugs in Ireland!

Cable BB in the US is notorious for the slowness experienced when the Kiddies come home from school....so from 15:00 to about 22:00 Monday-Friday Cable BB slows to a fraction of its normal speed.
    This is due to the way Cable BB operates and not much can be done about it.

In a years time NTL will have many more subscribers leading to a lot more complaints.

DSL may be slower....but its more stable than cable in the US and as such makes it fairly competitive in the US anyway.

after half an hour on the phone with NTL, most of which spent on hold, i'll be happily leaving their network come october.

twas a severe case of bla bla bla bla bla 'Tough sh1t'

Advertisement