Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Novelty Music

• 12-07-2005 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have always had a love for novelty music and have collected a few over time. THe problem is it's sometimes hard to hear about some artists or songs are not so popular. Can anybody just mentiion artists or songs they have heard and/or liked.

e.g. Hayseed Dixie, Dead Millkmen, "United States of What ever" etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

yee-haw, its rodeohead!

http://www.ateaseweb.com/extra/rodeohead.php

if you are familiar with radiohead songs then its very likely that this is the funniest thing you will ever hear. otherwise = :confused:

edit: weird al yankovich. (sp?) he is another novelty cover song artist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Weird Al Yankovic

Is the god father of angry polka. Strangely he is actually really talented musician and really knows his stuff. He presented Dr. Demmento for a while and is kind of a creation of the show in the first place.

Rodeohead are decent enough Hayseed Dixie is a similar idea but with rock classics the do a great version of "Walk this Way"

www.weirdomusic.com is worth a try for some stuff I like too.

I have a lot of novelty music and it isn't all covers but they tend to be the easiest to find or hear. I have Leonard Cohen rapping on a record!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

are the dead milkmen kinda big??? cracking band tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Beatallica

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

50 pence, there's a thread about him on the rap/hip hop forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Where have I heard of the dead milkmen? Have they had anything biggish before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

'Punk Rock Girl' is prob their biggest tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Richard Cheese?

*shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

are the dead milkmen kinda big??? cracking band tho

No not really. They had a few college hits in the US but they didn't ever really get very big. I met them last year at their memorial gig (one of them is dead) last year in Philly. I loved them as a teen and it was a tad deflating to talk to them.

Nice guys but I had a view of them being really successful and happy. They are broke in a way that you don't really see here and the gig was for a band memember who comitted suicide. I seemed like a rich Irish guy as I had flown over to see them which was really odd. If you ever want to know what Dublin was like in the 80s go to Philly, loads of goths and punks and no money.

They are still doing music in different bands now, Butterfly Joe are decent.

Advertisement