Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in rural North Cork

• 12-07-2005 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Im living about 2.8 miles from the local phone exchange of Glanworth, and cannot get broadband. This is because Eircom do not currently see fit to upgrade the exchange.

Apparently there are rumblings that a rural scheme is underway for the area, but Im not gonna hold my breath. I remember Eircom making crazy announcements over the years about how Ireland would be 100% broadband enabled by X (where X keeps changing into the future).

Are there any other rural dwellers like myself in North Cork that I can chat to about trying to light a fire under the wireless scheme around here?

Im thinking about Satellite from euroskynet after another poster on these forums had great success with them after a self install. Yes I know I still need a landline for uploading, yes I know its poo for gaming. But I think I could live without onling gaming for now. Thats something I thought I would never say.

I currently on single line ISDN. Its been ok for the last 6 months. But at the start of the year I had problems that vanished (noisy line, slow net speed). Now it has returned, and it still here after a month. An eircom engineer came out onsite said "yes you have a problem, no I cannot fix it, no Im not going to try anylonger". Effectly Eircom have their heads up their arses and Im going around in circles. Yesterday for some kicks I rang up Eircom sales about getting 128k ISDN. The lady didnt have a clue what I was on about and bounced me onto Fault Reports, where the lady was stunned that I was send there in the first place ?!!?

/rant

help!

meeep

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Don't spose anyone knows of any updates for North Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The Hettyfield/Browningstown exchange or what not in Ballinlough still isn't enabled so i wouldn't be holdign my breath for them to do rural areas that quickly before the whole of the city is enabled.

D-Generate wrote:
    The Hettyfield/Browningstown exchange or what not in Ballinlough still isn't enabled so i wouldn't be holdign my breath for them to do rural areas that quickly before the whole of the city is enabled.

Damn feens. Damn you all!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm outside Castletownroche Goneshootin. There is a group BB scheme going. The ISP is computronics,but they're taking forever to set up. http://www.computronics.ie/broadband.html Hopefully they'll be up and running soon. The bad news is you'll need to have a good line of site to avail of it. Forget satellite man. Not only can't you game, but can't file share,bit torrent,VPN,VOIP and video VOIP, host a website or upload. It sucks and you'll pay a hell of a lot for it. ISDN is a better product. I'll help you light a fire for BB in our area. Do you know any more people that want BB?
    PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

D-G, I'm on Hettyfield.

Have you looked at http://broadband.gov.ie

Sometimes the site is actually helpful

• Advertisement

I'm outside Castletownroche Goneshootin. There is a group BB scheme going. The ISP is computronics,but they're taking forever to set up. http://www.computronics.ie/broadband.html Hopefully they'll be up and running soon. The bad news is you'll need to have a good line of site to avail of it. Forget satellite man. Not only can't you game, but can't file share,bit torrent,VPN,VOIP and video VOIP, host a website or upload. It sucks and you'll pay a hell of a lot for it. ISDN is a better product. I'll help you light a fire for BB in our area. Do you know any more people that want BB?
    PM me.

I've cousins in Castletownroche (not that's of any benefit to my BB action). I'm on ISDN for the past 2 years, but I'm starting to get very itchy. It's impacting my remote working ability also. I know of a major business that would want BB. Plus Glanworth itself is growing with the new houses that have come on stream (50 almost now I think).

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jasper Carrot

Have a look at www.crosscountrybroadband.com
    Jasper Carrot.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

D-Generate wrote:

Hettyfield was enabled a few years ago.. I'm on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lordhaha

Just saw this post going back a few years and remembered my sister being told that they would upgrade the local exchange in Castletownroche. She lives approx 1 km from the town but they say the local exchange is full!!! 2012 and still nothing, shame on eircom!!!! Disgrace:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement