Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male seeking help with bios chip.. hot-swap shuttle st61g4...

Options
  • 12-07-2005 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi,
    winflash screwed up the bios on my shuttle st61g4. it's my work computer and i'd prefer not to have to wait a few days for one of those bios chip replacement companies to post out a new one from UK.
    would anyone with the same mobo be willing to let me do a hot-swap with their bios chip? it's a FT61 motherboard. i'm in galway and will drive anywhere within an hour or so if i could get it sorted today or tomorrow, and i'll pay 20 bucks if it works. i don't have a plastic tweezers thingy to do it properly, so if you had one of them it would be great!
    text me if interested on 086 6000604.
    cheers!
    tim

p.s. i cleared the CMOS 17 times,took out battery and cord, ate the cmos jumper, still nothing worked. it won't even post, despite all the cards being seated properly. winflash said "verify failed" when i upgraded to the latest version, and when i rebooted, i just get a blank screen, so i can't go back to the saved bios.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

If you're willing to wait, check out flashbios.org, they (he) reprogrammes bios chips for €10 or get a new chip for €20. Check it out. I used him a few months ago and had an older bios chip reprogrammed and back to me within 10 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭zero_mac

thanks for the link. i'd hope not to have to wait that long though.
    i'm kind of out of action with the computer until i get it back up and running.
    thanks
    tim

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Some newer BIOSes have a recovery system that lets you get over failed flashes, something along the lines of holding certain keys when you power on, waiting a few seconds and then powering off. I'm not sure if it's handled by the motherboard itself or a part of the BIOS that doesn't get flashed over. Look for forums specific to the motherboard (the manufacturer should have one) and see if it's mentioned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What kind of BIOS chip is it? I can reprogramme it if it is a PLCC one (square shaped)

In Dublin though, but you can post and I will return it the following day if you'd like?

hi guys,
    thanks for the tips. i decided to go with badflash.com, i have a new chip on order. good to know there is someone in ireland that does bios chip reprogramming though, i looked around on the net previously and couldn't find anything. i guess its such an unusual thing to need there isn't much demand for it as a service.

cheers
    tim

• Advertisement

No problem. Good luck with it. PM me if you ever need it done again though, it's easier than waiting for stuff to arrive via post from abroad

just for future reference, if anyone else gets a corrupt bios, wizZard did a great job fixing my bios by re-flashing it on his own system, and he said he'd be willing to help people out in the same situation (for a few quid of course).

i thought it could only be done by someone with the same motherboard, but he was able to force the flash utility to ignore the fact that my bios wasn't made for his motherboard.

cheers wizZard. my shuttle is ticking along nicely again.

No bother at all. Glad to help in such an awkward & annoying situation

Advertisement