Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hoooray finally a reason to buy a DS

Options
  • 12-07-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=10031
    11th July - The long-running and award-winning series Advance Wars, has struck the Nintendo DS, leaving no prisoners in its wake. The arrival of Advance Wars: Dual Strike on 30th September brings turn based strategy gameplay onto two screens - with the touch function acting as a perfect tool for the game.

Players familiar with the Advance Wars series might remember the Black Hole Army, well they're back and this time they have filled their ranks with new Commanding Officers (CO's). Their mission is to attack the nations of Wars World and it's up to the Allied Armies of Orange Star, Blue Moon, Yellow Comet and Green Earth to put an end to the Black Hole Army once and for all.

The game benefits from the Nintendo DS's unique functions in a great way allowing dual screen battles raging in two locations at the same time, and the touch screen control empowering you to precisely control your troops.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike offers five different single player game modes. The main single player campaign mode features many exciting missions, where players defend Wars World against the invasion and occupation of the Black Hole army. The wireless function also enables up to eight players to play head to head at any one time, allowing you to battle it out with your friends and decide who the greatest general is.

Two brand-new modes feature exclusively in this game; the survival mode - where players try to win as many battles as they can with limited resources, and a combat mode - where players control their units' movement in a real time battle.

With all the new modes and Nintendo DS functions, Advance Wars: Dual Strike is set to be a big hit when it launches on the Nintendo DS in Europe on 30th September 2005, at the estimated retail price is around £30.

finally i have a reason to own a DS wh00t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Should be a fantastic game, definitely.

However Meteos and Kirby Canvas Curse are already superb reasons to own a DS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You can import Advanced Wars DS from Japan ATM. Obviously its all in Japanese. Meteos is a bloody good reason to own a DS alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

http://www.urbansquall.com/mambo/ Check this out it just like advance wars but free and multiplayer.:)

Its not as good as advance wars but still fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It doesn't say if you can do 8 player off a single cartridge or not...

I got Bomberman DS the other day. It's great fun in multiplayer, up to 8 players off a single cartridge. Although I've only tried out two player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just got Kirby today, great game, finally a good platformer for the DS, was sick of bloody high score games with no reply value (Wario and Project Rub are good, but they get boring).

By the time Christmas hits I won't know what to do, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Metroid, Nintendogs (and will have to check out Electroplankton and Meteos too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

and if what I read at Eurogamer was true, there should be Jagged Alliance and Disciples for the strategy fans.

I think I also read somewhere that in Japan there were other applications such as language learning on the DS. I don't remember where I read it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Khalim wrote:
    and if what I read at Eurogamer was true, there should be Jagged Alliance and Disciples for the strategy fans.

I think I also read somewhere that in Japan there were other applications such as language learning on the DS. I don't remember where I read it, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Yep, there are a few edu-games on the DS. And they're fairly popular too! You won't enjoy them though unless you can read kanji. I don't either unfortunately.

Brain training for Adults DS (Nou wo kitaeru Otona no DS training)

EDIT: this it's full name!! Touhoku University's Future Technology Collaborative Research Centre's Professor Ryuuta Kawashima presents: DS Brain Training for Adults IMPRESSIONS!

This is a selection of puzzles, including arithmetic and comprehension, supervised by Professor Kawashima of Touhoku University, which are designed to rejuvenate the brain of adults. Due to be released in May for 2800 yen.

DS Easy Dictionary (DS Rakubiki Jiten)
    An easy-to-use dictionary that includes English<->Japanese dictionaries. Words can be entered by drawing, selecting from the 50 Japanese sounds, or in roman alphabet. Also DS chat functionality can be used, for example, to discuss the pronunciation of a difficult kanji, or to have a language test. The software is a kind of "Electronic Dictionary" you can enjoy. A release date of June is currently penned, with a price of 4800 yen.

Gentle Brain Exercises (Yawaraka Atama-juku)
    These exercises are designed to make the brain think in different ways, expanding the ability of the user to think of different solutions to everyday problems. Though the puzzles seem simple, they require complex thinking. The game is playable by up to 8 players in wireless mode with a single cartridge. Release is scheduled for June at 2800 yen.

SOURCE: http://game-science.com/news/001043.html

The chances of any of these being released in Europe are smaller than the GBAmicro:/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i can think of a lot of other reasons to own one

but the main one is going to be class
    the ds's online service how class is that going to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

im beginning to regret buying a psp now, Ive been very dissapointed with the games so far, sure they look good but there isnt anything like the quality of advance wars on the gba od better yet DS.

the main reason now for keeping the psp is for the emulation which is getting really good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just read on C4 text today that you can control different commanders and units on each screen at the same time also, this game is looking to excite quite alot of people and i'm sure it'll fulfill tbh :)

• Advertisement

Air on the top screen and land on the bottom.

I also read today they are bringing Worms to the DS (and PSP) :D

Rew wrote:
    Air on the top screen and land on the bottom.

I also read today they are bringing Worms to the DS (and PSP) :D

i heard rumours that the ds version of worms will be online and the psp wont be (which is suprising) but how class is worms on a handheld going to be not to mention online

Ever play the Pocket PC version, surprisinly good. Thers is another PPC one called slugs, same idea but its multiplayer over WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

1huge1 wrote:
    i heard rumours that the ds version of worms will be online and the psp wont be (which is suprising) but how class is worms on a handheld going to be not to mention online

worms came out on the gba about 2&1/2 years ago it was a great port

madrab wrote:
    ya i know that was a great game but im on about a whole new ds game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

1huge1 wrote:

I've been playing worms online, on a handheld for ages now. N-Gage: Worms world party. It is EXCELLENT!

I already got me a ds, and waiting on my import psp to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just to say I see that Dixon's are selling the DS for €150 with a few bits and pieces and a free game. I saw this offer in a flyer in one of yesterday's papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

madrab wrote:
    Yeah I do recall a few classes in college where I took the time out to annihilate your pitiful team of worms. T'was a good port alright but the stylus should prove to be uselful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sprinkles wrote:
    Yeah I do recall a few classes in college where I took the time out to annihilate your pitiful team of worms. T'was a good port alright but the stylus should prove to be uselful.

team evil onz!!, i m l33t

etc etc

cant wait for advance wars, another reason to kick you @ss :D

have there actually been any announcents for any online psp games or just the ds
    thars probablt why it would be online with the ds because sony havent bothered to do much with the psp and its really backfired for them
    well done to nintendo

• Advertisement
Advertisement