Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF, Van de Vaart went to Hamburg!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wheres Benitez when the likes of this come up?

Off signing poxy peter crouch for £7m is bloody where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

van der Vaart was crap last seaon for ajax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

He's brilliant in Championship Manager - this just doesn't make sense :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

That is the strangest and most confusing story ever :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

It certainly dont make sense I cant wait to read De Telegraaf tommorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Old news, This was one of the first transfers of the summer. :) I've never seen him play a good game in my life and is terribly overrated. Van der Meyde was also terribly overrated until recently. As are a lot of Dutch players. VdV could probably have got a move to a bigger club on his reputation but is probably a better judge of himself than anyone else. For example, I play a lot better with crap players than good players. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Willem D wrote:
    It certainly dont make sense I cant wait to read De Telegraaf tommorrow.
    Where have you people been? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2819490&postcount=64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i didnt hear about this and i was a bit surprised. but as said above i havent seen him play much, but for some reason i think hes a great player, so that certainly says a lot about his reputation.

as for his ability, im seriously doubting it after a move like that. im sure united were interested in signing him last year, maybe two years ago.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

i didnt hear about this and i was a bit surprised. but as said above i havent seen him play much, but for some reason i think hes a great player, so that certainly says a lot about his reputation.

as for his ability, im seriously doubting it after a move like that. im sure united were interested in signing him last year, maybe two years ago.
    By all accounts VDV has been shíte for 2 seasons now. It seems being in the media spotlight as a result of his growing reputation, Ajax captaincy and famous girlfriend has gotten to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I actually have never seen him play well, and Ive seen him play about 15/20 times on tv. Looks to have momentary talent but over 90 minutes he just drifts in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Watched a few compilations on the net, and he appears to be good but ive never seen him in a full match myself so i cant judge by that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Moving to a small club with no other "big" stars to share the limelight is reeeeally gonna help him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think this was the right move for him. If united or barcelona had gone in for he would have jumped at the chance but neither did. The fact is vdV is a very talented player, who has suffered at Ajax. It all seemed to start going wrong when he started to date a dutch supermodel(i think). Their relationship has been very high profile and he has not handled the torrents of abuse from rival fans that well. He has also spent the last 2 seasons being played out of position (which never results in good performances), this also led to a falling out with the Ajax managemt which further ruined his form. He had to leave Ajax and start fresh. I think Hamburg will be a good move for him, as he will be their big star and will probably lead the team from his favoured position. He has a great chance to regain his form there and i would not be surprised to seem im move to one of the big teams within the next 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He was talented, like Robben was at 18, and thus everyone went nuts about him.
    He developed an ego, became kinda like Gazza with the night life, and stopped concentrating on his football, and in turn has played ****e for two season.
    He is going to Hamburg to rebuild his career, since he can play there for two years, get back to his old self, then get a big club to buy him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think his father-in-law manages or is somehow involved in the setup at Hamburg, and Khalid Bouhlarouz is already there. A few years back lots of clubs were clamouring for him, and he stated that he would wait one more year and then move to Spain. He sucked hard that year and nobody wanted him any more. He reckoned he should be able to play in the middle, where he preferred, and not on the left, where the manager wanted him. Dropped for his attitude and poor form, his replacement, Wesley Sneijder had a much better time of it on the left and so there was no place left for the captain.
    Even with Ajax in rag-order last season he couldn't buy a look in under Koeman and things didn't really improve under Blind.
    Personally, I think his talent is very limited and he's unable to mix it with more aggressive players and he'll be warming the bench at Hamburg by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I don't know how the bejebus I'm only hearing about this transfer now!!! I must read teletext 5 times a day every day and read the back pages of the highly informative daily mirror and star every day too. Where the hell have i been?! Anyhoo, it is probably a good move for the lad, he has gone so stale at Ajax the last couple of years. Good luck to him (and his bird).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

so thats what Brian O Driscoll is doing while he is injured!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well VDV has certainly got off to a good start, banging in a few goals and generally controlling the last couple of games with Hamburg. He's back in the frame for Oranje (scored a cracker against Andorra) and might start living up to his potential now.
    Or is it just a matter of time before he implodes and is shoe-shining in the HSV bootroom?

• Advertisement
Advertisement