Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering Locks. Your preference/experience

Options
  • 12-07-2005 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

In reference to the theft thread, I decided to post this up, see what peoples opinions and good/bad things said about certain steering wheel locks.

Personally I use a Disklok

1043316868-disklok%20silv.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Have a 'origional stoplock'..!

Not sure if it will stop someone robbing the car but it is a bit of a deterant for young scumbags new to robbing cars!!

http://www.shoppingcomparison.co.uk/IMGE/vvvz_qfnrzbnztj/vbrrsnqd/_qfnr/hl_fdr/7408234XMAS98IFN19692MM.JPG

The lock that goes on the handbrake is a joke - i could remove that myself !!

Jumpy, That Disklok looks invincible!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Norinoco wrote:

Jumpy, That Disklok looks invincible!!

With it the steering wheel cant be removed, unlike with a stoplock

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Disklock as well as my Clifford alarm.

If they want to steal it after all that hassle they can have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Do you have to put that thing in the boot? It'll turn into the Killer frisbee of death if somebody runs into you and after its finished iside your car it'll be throught the window and we'll need to call in the air corps to shoot it down.

I actually saw one in a car this morning I was shocked. I didn't think anyone still used steering locks. I was completly baffled because it was in an Audi as well which I would have though would be alarmed to bits and fairly good regards anti-theft measures.

I know a girl that has a steering lock but its strangly baseball bat sized and shaped and I think its more for her to use on people than for security the car. When she parks up its left somewhere she can grab it and take it out easily rather than securing the wheel.

Although your dead right, I also go over the top securing my bike, three chains one with two connected to a cubic meter of concrete buried under my house with a brake disk lock with its own alarm and the bikes getting its on alarm soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Don't modern cars all have chipped key steering locks?
    (ie even if the lock is picked the sterring wheel won't release).
    You usually turn off the engine and twist the wheel to one side to engage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I actually saw one in a car this morning I was shocked. I didn't think anyone still used steering locks. I was completly baffled because it was in an Audi as well which I would have though would be alarmed to bits and fairly good regards anti-theft measures.
    Yes, that confuses me too. I can only see a use for these things in older cars that don't have an immobilizer and /or an alarm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a big chain and padlock is ideal for an older car!
    as newer cars tend to have an immobiliser built into the ECU it isn't as necessary.
    However, the trendy way to take cars is to break into the hose and take the keys. No ECU thingymebob will stop them then. As [I presume] the key to the steering lock/padlock/whatever is likely to be on the same keyring then its usefulness is lost here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kbannon wrote:
    However, the trendy way to take cars is to break into the hose and take the keys.
    Fishing, with a coat hanger or maybe a telescopic fishing rod through the letter box to the hall table. Moral - don't leave keys where they can be seen from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

I have BlackJax on my Clifford so even if they get the keys they can only get so far.

I use the DiskLock for the simple reason that it's a visual deterrant - it takes 4-5 minutes to drill into and release it and that puts off most scum.

So it saves them trying to get into the car in the first place even if they think they can get around the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

kevmac wrote:
    I have BlackJax on my Clifford so even if they get the keys they can only get so far.

I use the DiskLock for the simple reason that it's a visual deterrant - it takes 4-5 minutes to drill into and release it and that puts off most scum.

So it saves them trying to get into the car in the first place even if they think they can get around the alarm.

Minimum 12 minutes in pretty much every review on test done so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

I read somewhere before that the steering lock on the Octavia when forced will allow the wheel to move freely and that theres a clutch mechanism which re-engages when the key is put back in. Its a while since I read it, obviously I haven't tried it :D . Good idea if its true.

Advertisement