Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did any of the Surviors suggest eating the Polar Bear?

• 12-07-2005 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, would have saved them hunting for wild boar.

This thread should be one where you may ask strange and unanswerable questions about the series.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did anyone consider eating Hurley? Food for a month..... dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Did anyone consider eating Hurley?

Dr. Jack could preform Liposucion, and the survivors could eat of him.

Also, If this series last for 10 years and they are still LOST will Hurley be slim by the end of the series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Elmo wrote:
    Just wondering, would have saved them hunting for wild boar.

This thread should be one where you may ask strange and unanswerable questions about the series.
    No, and with good reason. Meat goes off very easily without preservatives and refrigeration, especially in tropical conditions. How long would it have taken to get that bear back to the beach, skin it, and prepare it for eating? Too long.

If you want some weird unanswerable questions, I suggest checking out the "Numbers fanatics" thread, and the links in reply #4. Assuming you've seen the whole series, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

mr_angry wrote:
    No, and with good reason. Meat goes off very easily without preservatives and refrigeration, especially in tropical conditions. How long would it have taken to get that bear back to the beach, skin it, and prepare it for eating? Too long.

But then how do they eat the boar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The boar is smaller and so easier to carry and doesn't last very long so no problems with it going off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Well, personally, if I was in a tropical island, attacked by a polar bear, I wouldn't want to eat it! Who knows what might get passed onto you!

Well, personally, if I was in a tropical island, attacked by a polar bear, I wouldn't want to eat it! Who knows what might get passed onto you!

But sure what will the Boar pass on? Would you just refuse to eat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Elmo wrote:
    Also, If this series last for 10 years and they are still LOST will Hurley be slim by the end of the series?
    10 years would only equate to 10 months though... this could actually cause problems if little Walt under goes some growth spurts... ah they can always explain it away with some island mystery nonsense.. ha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

I am almost certain that polar bear blood contains toxins! I read it somewhere, cant remember why they have toxins in there body but they do.

Elmo wrote:

A boar is a boar, and it's no surprise to find one on a tropical island. Whereas there is definatley something weird about the polar bear being on the island, and I wouldn't want to eat something unexplained like that!

• Advertisement

Frankieboy wrote:
    I am almost certain that polar bear blood contains toxins! I read it somewhere, cant remember why they have toxins in there body but they do.
    You're just saying that so you'll have the whole polar bear to eat to yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Yes its me Sawyer!

Does anyone know if there has been any indication that monkeys are present on the island?

Because that would be soooooooo cool....

OH MY GOD! What if the monkeys are the masterminds behind the whole island....

And wasn't that scene with Sayid heading off down the beach on his own alot like the scene from the end of planet of the apes?

I could have sworn I saw Charlton Heston poking his head out from behind a tree.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bit of a boaring topic - can we discuss something else?

*gets his coat*

Elmo wrote:
    Not only are you eating that boar but every boar that boar has ever been intimate with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ixoy wrote:
    Bit of a boaring topic - can we discuss something else?

*gets his coat*

Bold ixoy, just for that i will make sure your postman will be late on friday night/saturday morning :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Frankieboy wrote:

Probably Anti-freeze :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

Just on the topic of the polar bear - and this aint a spoiler. its just something i noticed that if you have that episode on tape (the one with the polar bear) go back and watch it again. the little kid who lost his dog was reading a comic on the beach prior to them getting attacked in the forest by the polar bear. you get a brief glimpse of the comic as he flicks through it (he told his dad he just found the comic by the way) and on the first page is - you guessed it - a scary polar bear - claws out and everything. and then straight after they get attacked by the same thing. draw your own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The liver of a polar bear contains a toxic level of vitamin A.

Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

HOB-it wrote:
    Just on the topic of the polar bear - and this aint a spoiler. its just something i noticed that if you have that episode on tape (the one with the polar bear) go back and watch it again. the little kid who lost his dog was reading a comic on the beach prior to them getting attacked in the forest by the polar bear. you get a brief glimpse of the comic as he flicks through it (he told his dad he just found the comic by the way) and on the first page is - you guessed it - a scary polar bear - claws out and everything. and then straight after they get attacked by the same thing. draw your own conclusions.
    This has been discussed a few times before. However, you should also note that when Danielle is talking to Sayid, there's a loud roar, and Sayid says "What was that"? Danielle replies "If we're lucky, its one of the bears". This kind of implies that the polar bears were on the island anyway, although the co-incidence is interesting.

The liver of a polar bear contains a toxic level of vitamin A.

Well don't eat the liver. But interesting fact.

I am now glad I asked this question. But how many people know this fact?

Can you eat any of a polar bear if the liver contains a high level of Vitimin A.

Also any reasons for it having such a high level of Vitimin A.

I cann't remember what Vitimin A does. I used to know that from Biology in School!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

mr_angry wrote:
    Meat goes off very easily without preservatives and refrigeration, especially in tropical conditions.

Smoking or salting are perfectly acceptable ways to preserve meat. I dont know if they'd actually be able to set up a plant to get enough salt from the seawater but perhaps sitting the meat in saltwater would do the trick??? But they could smoke the meat easily enough.

But, anyway, polar-bear meat probably is poisonous. I read somewhere that the liver of a polar-bear is highly toxic because it contains such a huge amount of vitamin D (or some vitamin anyway, not necessarily D).

I'm only a newcomer to the series; Did they actually come up against a polar bear at some point? What stage is the ch4 series at?

\rob

What stage is the ch4 series at?

Hasn't started on C4 yet so you still have a chance.

The Polar Bear comes up in the second episode.

Sorry if the topic is a spoiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Also any reasons for it having such a high level of Vitimin A.
    It's a carnivore.

Advertisement