Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Protocol for passing overtaking lane hogs

Options
  • 12-07-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

A quote on the other thread reminded me to ask this.
    Mick L wrote:
    This was around 10:30pm, traffic was light, yet there was a guy in the overtaking lane with NO cars in the inside lane for as far as I could see ahead. And he just stayed there, obviously in a world of his own.:confused:
    And that's something I've wanted to ask - what is the protocol when faced by this? I see several choices and have seen them all done on our motorways, not all by me!
    1. undertake on the left. (solves problem for you, but illegal)
    2. hold station in the right lane behind the holdup until he moves over, then overtake on right.
    3. = B + indicating right (appears to be the norm on French autoroutes, where they only use the overtaking lane for overtaking, of course there's far fewer slow idiots in the fast lane there)
    4. = B + severe impatience ie flashing lights and tailgating until he moves over, then overtake waving fist!
    5. hold station in the left lane, but don't undertake until he moves over, then go past on the right.
    6. E + indicating left, hoping to confuse him.
    7. Switch lanes from left to right repeatedly (ie switch between B and E until he notices your presence and lets you past)
    8. Fall back a good bit, and pretend you're Driving Miss Daisy.
    9. Pull in for a smoke, a wee and a phone call on the hard shoulder. (OK, I haven't seen this happen, but I've passed it happening, and guess the dilemma could have provoked it)
    If the other driver is doing 80km/h does it make a difference? 115km/h? 120km/h when you want to do just a couple more and he feels entitled to go in whatever lane he wants cos he's already doing the speed limit and knows that holding you up is doing you a favour by keeping your speed legal.

That's when there's no other cars around. It's more complicated on the M50 when there is more around as there is a rule that you can't have more than two cars on a motorway without someone doing either A or D!

Heaven help us when we've more three lane carriageways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I so feel your pain.

IT'S THE OVERTAKING LANE, DAMNIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

All of the above depending what my mood is like. Personally I hate having to do A.# undertake on the left. (solves problem for you, but illegal). I have done it on the rare occasssion and am always expecting the sirens and flashing lights to appear out of nowhere. What put me off that option was when I did it one time the idiot took my passing on the left as a serious insult and nearly ran me off "his" road. :rolleyes: This is the one bit of bad driving that really annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I think I have tried all those suggestions listed and none seem to work...generally undertaking on the left is your only option. My defence (if caught) would be that I was in a densely populated lane and the right lane was moving slower than the left. Then it is not illegal but I suppose it depends on your definition of densely populated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i dont see much of a problem undertaking, i do it all the time when there's idiots in the overtaking lane

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

1. undertake on the left. (solves problem for you, but illegal)
    As far as I know it's not illegal to overtake if the traffic on the left hand lane is travelling at a quicker speed than right hand lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

dogg_r_69 wrote:
    As far as I know it's not illegal to overtake if the traffic on the left hand lane is travelling at a quicker speed than right hand lane

Ditto to the above, (must dig out my old rules of the road) but I'm almost certain it's ok to overtake in the left lane in the above situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well it depends on the type of driver. Some drivers are completely oblivious to *everything* that's happening around them. These drivers are often 70+ and half blind, deaf and in the early stages of senility. These will never move over, flashing or beeping is futile. God love them :( I will undertake these but very carefully and will be very prepared to take avoiding action should they swerve in front of me

Others who hog the overtaking lane include
    -begrudging w*nkers who don't like being overtaken especially by some "impatient flash bollox in a big car" :rolleyes:
    -dopey drivers who are somewhat aware of their surroundings i.e they check their mirrors every ten minutes or so :rolleyes:

I usually undertake these too but if I'm in a bad mood I will stay in the overtaking lane and try to bully them out of the way. Not proud of meself for this but it seems to work anytime I do it. I find that driving on the extreme right of the overtaking lane (almost onto the median) while flashing lights gets the message across that you want to get by. The front of your car looms large in the hogs driver's side wing mirror. He may get afraid that you're going to go up on the median to overtake so he decides that it's probably best to move over.

PS undertaking at motorway speeds is most certainly illegal in Ireland (not in some other countries though) The rule about undertaking when the left lane moving faster than the right lane only applies to slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Here it is:
    Do not overtake unless you can do so without risk to yourself or to others. You should be able to see that the road is clear for a sufficient distance to enable you to overtake. Be particularly careful of hills or dips in the road, bends, bridges, road narrowing or pedestrian crossings. Note also the rules regarding roadway markings (continuous and broken, single and double white lines) referred to earlier.

You must also check your mirror to ensure that another vehicle is not approaching from behind intending to overtake too.

• Where zig-zag markings are provided on the approaches to Pelican or Zebra Crossings or Pedestrian Lights you must not overtake within the areas marked by these lines.

• Before overtaking check that the way is clear, check in your mirror to ensure another vehicle is not approaching from behind, give your signal in good time, move out when it is safe to do so, accelerate and overtake with the minimum of delay. When you are well past, signal and gradually move in again making sure not to cut across the vehicle you have passed.

• Extra care should be taken when overtaking a vehicle displaying a "LONG VEHICLE" sign. This means that the vehicle is at least 13 metres long and you will require significant road length to pass it.

• Normally you must overtake on the right but overtaking on the left is permitted -
    • When the driver ahead has moved out and given a right turn signal and you intend to go straight ahead or turn left.
    • When you intend to turn left and have signalled this intention.
    • Where traffic is moving slowly and the vehicles in the lane on your right are moving more slowly than the traffic in your lane.

DO NOT ACCELERATE WHEN YOU ARE BEING OVERTAKEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Gently.. now gently I said, pull up to the back of them and nudge their back bumper. After a few taps they move over... just like when Im racing... :D:D .
    But really, just sit there. It helps if you have a fast car, that looks fast, cos whenever I sit behind anyone they pull over if its the 911 or the 300zx, but not if Im in the jeep. Wonder why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I cannot cannot fathom why people don't move out of the way.
    I have seen occasions when the m1 has almost no traffic in the slow lane, and the overtaking lane with a stream of traffic, how can this be?
    I generally undertake em, if there is no room to do this, I flash (the lights that is)at them untill they move.
    But this behaviour amazes me, what is going on inside these peoples heads.
    I have also seen one or two who steadfastly will not move, they know your there but just won't move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I think they should do what they do in Australia, hang signs up that say :

[size=+2]"Stay left when not overtaking - Fine $150" [/size]

Then ... wait for it .... ENFORCE THE LAW!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

zod wrote:
    Then ... wait for it .... ENFORCE THE LAW!
    Ha ha ha ha - good one!
    Mike - move this to the humour forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Every taxi and bus is then breaking the law. They undertake in the bus lane often faster than traffic moving in the lane next to them, and I dont mean when it is slow moving, when it is moving at a reasonable pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Whats the logic behind the rule of not overtaking/"undertaking" i nthe left hand lane on a motorway? Surely if the right hand lane is being hogged, you can just drive by on the left?? Is this dangerous or something, i dont see how, can someone point it out to me please. :confused:

Or is it just stoopid Irish rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The thing is (this happens 9 out of 10 times) if someone is hogging the overtaking lane and you undertake them, they move into the driving lane, happens everytime, you need a powerful car to out-wit them, I've sat there for 10 mins waiting and then go to move and then they try to block you overtaking them from the inside. :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

boardsee wrote:
    Whats the logic behind the rule of not overtaking/"undertaking" i nthe left hand lane on a motorway? Surely if the right hand lane is being hogged, you can just drive by on the left?? Is this dangerous or something, i dont see how, can someone point it out to me please. :confused:

In the states they have freeways, where you are free to drive at any speed in any lane. Back on planet earth where individual freedom are tempered by the duty not to harm society by recklessness the laws are a little different.

Unless traffic is choc a bloc then if everyone keeps to the left and overtakes on the right the whole thing moves faster. At present two muppets driving at 50mph can convert the M50 to a suburban link road (the same two muppets would drive at 50mph in a 40mph zone) problem is that they do it every bleedin day :mad:

boardsee wrote:

The logic is that nobody should be hogging the overtaking lane and therefore no need to undertake!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

At present two muppets driving at 50mph can convert the M50 to a suburban link road (the same two muppets would drive at 50mph in a 40mph zone)

Yep. And there is no legal / moral / practical solution unfortunately. I would never tailgate. Flashing doesn't work most of the time as most Irish drivers are so ignorant / incompetent they wouldn't even notice. The third way is to undertake :o

The only country in which I ever resorted to undertaking is Ireland :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

boardsee wrote:

Safety safety safety. Progress progress progress.
    It's like the escalators in the tube stations in London - stand to the left so that people in a hurry can pass on your right.
    Unfortunately you gets morons that wreck the system for everybody around them.

Most people (including truck drivers) don't know that trucks, buses and any vehicle towing another aren't allowed in the overtaking lane - except in exceptional circumstances (an emergency / accident etc.).

If there was no keep left rule then you'd have a race track scenario where people are lane weaving left, right agus center.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Has anyone ever done the following - I've thought of but never actually done it:

Undertake the slow moving lane hogger - and then move back into the overtaking lane - and gradually slow down so that they're forced to undertake you :D

causal

• Advertisement

causal wrote:
    Most people (including truck drivers) don't know that trucks, buses and any vehicle towing another aren't allowed in the overtaking lane - except in exceptional circumstances (an emergency / accident etc.).
    l
    You sure? I've never heard about that before but I totally agree with it....so annoying in the mornings when a truck tries to overtake another truck on the M50 between Firhouse & Balinteer....takes them about 2 miles to complete the manoeuvre!

causal wrote:
    Has anyone ever done the following - I've thought of but never actually done it:

Undertake the slow moving lane hogger - and then move back into the overtaking lane - and gradually slow down so that they're forced to undertake you :D

causal
    Can't say I have but I will undertake and then swerve quite agressively back into the overtaking lane to "register" my annoyance, then slap on my rear fog light to further highlight this....then indicate left & move back into the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

causal wrote:

causal

I've seen this happen... it was very funny. The person undertook and moved into the overtaking lane and slowed. He kept slowing until he was going no more than 50 kmph. Hogger slowed with him and stayed in the overtaking lane. At this stage I undertook all of them and left them to it. The hogger was a little grey haired old lady. You'd almost feel sorry for her, really.

causal wrote:
    Assuming you are correct then you can include the NRA road planners in their design of the port tunnel - read http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/2005/0713/1321346595MOT13TUNNEL.html

causal wrote:
    Not quite correct. Trucks are allowed in the overtaking lane on a 2 lane motorway but not on a 3 lane one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The best I've seen was late one night on the M50. I had just overtaken a car on the inside lane and the road as far as I could see was empty bar one car doddling along on the outside lane. When I came up behind him he moved into the inside, fair play to him for that. Then as I moved into the inside lane I checked my mirrors only to see the fool doddling along move immediately back into the outside lane as soon as I went by him ?!?!

The best I've seen was late one night on the M50. I had just overtaken a car on the inside lane and the road as far as I could see was empty bar one car doddling along on the outside lane. When I came up behind him he moved into the inside, fair play to him for that. Then as I moved into the inside lane I checked my mirrors only to see the fool doddling along move immediately back into the outside lane as soon as I went by him ?!?!
    Oh, I've seen this plenty of times. It is quite bizarre. I would guess that they move back into the overtaking lane because you are now ahead of them in the driving lane and they prefer to have a totally clear road in front of them. Or perhaps they feel that they'd be wasting roadspace by not using the nice empty overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I generally just undertake if they don't move over. imo flashing/indicating and/or tailgating just makes them more likely to try and run you off the road when you carry out the move.

So mine is drive up behind them keeping the normal a safe distance, give them a bit of time to react and pull over, if they don't then undertake them if it's safe to do so being ready for them to suddenly remember that the outside lane is for overtaking half way through - always the hard shoulder if you need it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I did exactly what you did Macy there the other day on the M50 Southbound towards Sandyford.

Came up at 120 kph behind a old dude in a Merc E200 who was doing about 105-110 kph in the overtaking lane, stayed behind him for a few minutes - like you not flashing/tailgating or being agressive and ramming him onto the median and there are cars building up behind me, so finally seeing that he's not intent on budging I indicate and move left and (although its illegal I know) undertake him, of course Mr Merc decides now is the moment he wants to move into the left lane also and proceeds to veer towards me.

He then very indignantly stops and stays where he is and flashes me like a lunactic for undertaking him as he still proceeds to obstruct the overtaking lane with another 5-6 faster moving cars behind him...who then all do the same thing and undertake him as well, yet its me and the other 5 -6 cars that are breaking the law!!

Most times If do undertake somone, I try and stay in the left lane for as long as possible before going back in front of the hogger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I've had people do similar to me when I've undertaken them. You sit behind at a reasonable distance, wait for them to move and nothing happens. Finally you decide to undertake. As soon as I'm past them, they pull into the inside lane and start flashing headlights at me in their best how-dare-you indignant manner. Shooting's too good for 'em!

Advertisement