Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Protocol for passing overtaking lane hogs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

comanche wrote:
    2. its not up to you to police the road, if someone is travelling faster than the speed limit so what, are you jealous or something, leave em to it and get out of their way!!

Exactly! By sticking rigidly to 120 kph in the overtaking lane and not moving back into the left lane once you have done your manouver it makes you just as guilty as the slower lane hoggers! Let the fella barreling up the M50 take the chance of being pulled by the gards for breaking the speed limit and you go about your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Exactly! By sticking rigidly to 120 kph in the overtaking lane and not moving back into the left lane once you have done your manouver it makes you just as guilty as the slower lane hoggers! Let the fella barreling up the M50 take the chance of being pulled by the gards for breaking the speed limit and you go about your business.
    True, but if you are overtaking a few cars I wouldn't go out of my way trying to squeeze in to let them past either. If you can comfortably move in then fine but otherwise (assuming ur not slouchimg) I'd worry about driving my own car and forget the guy behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Boggle wrote:
    True, but if you are overtaking a few cars I wouldn't go out of my way trying to squeeze in to let them past either. If you can comfortably move in then fine but otherwise (assuming ur not slouchimg) I'd worry about driving my own car and forget the guy behind you.

Yeah, on that I'd be of the same opinion I wouldnt be trying to fit in between 2 closish cars just to accommodate him but certainly wouldnt continue on in the right lane once the left lane was clear just to prove a point of what the speed limit is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The rules are the rules as some of you keep reminding us. If you're doing 120 k and overtaking there's no requirement to pull in and get out of anyones way .... as long as you're overtaking.

I love the responses to the "out of nowhere" post. Every time some poor bastard mentions that a vehicle came out of nowhere there's always someone ready to throw a mirror at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

iregk wrote:
    pulled out to overtake and from nowhere this 4x4 comes thundering up the back of me

:rolleyes:
    iregk wrote:
    Strange comment to make considering I would never pull out without checking my mirrors

You obviously didn't or didn't check correctly. 4WDs do not appear from nowhere tbh

If people with skills that poor would be around on the Autobahn, there would be total carnage. I guess you have never driven on the continent in general or on the Autobahn in particular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

unkel wrote:
    If people with skills that poor would be around on the Autobahn, there would be total carnage. I guess you have never driven on the continent in general or on the Autobahn in particular

They really do come out of nowhere over there,
    look in the mirror - nothing
    look again - flash flash get out of my way
    And it doesn't just happen in the very outside lane, I was in the middle lane (in my younger days).

Theres just no point getting frustrated sitting behind people here while nothing in slow lane, just overtake on inside and save getting worked up.

A copper actually told me before, if behind someone hogging fast lane flash once and if they don't move over undertake (safely obviously). Most of the time I don't even bother flashing as it'll wind them up and they'll cut you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And it doesn't just happen in the very outside lane, I was in the middle lane (in my younger days).
    Crap! I lived there for a good few years, and never did a car "come out of nowhere". You're just not looking in your mirror often enough and long enough, and/or not judging the speed of what you're seeing correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote:
    and long enough

Indeed. That's needed to determine the speed of the traffic behind you (as opposed to just the distance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

BrianD3 wrote:
    just to add to the list of experiences
    1) you're driving along in the driving lane. 100 metres behind you is a hogger in the overtaking lane. .....

2) You're in the driving lane. Behind you is another car in the same lane travelling at the same speed as you for the past few miles. You come across a slower vehicle ahead and pull out to overtake. ......

interesting. I have noticed No 1 quiet often while driving in ROI. I don't have an explaination, I have noticed strings of cars in the fast lane keep too close and it is very difficult without "pushing" to merge easily from the slow to the fast, even when both are going the same speed.
    I have had to do this a few times where something is coming on ahead of me from an on-ramp, but it is going slower. I'm in the left-most lane and cars may be drifting by to my right. judging by the relative speeds, the can from teh onramp will box me in, so I speed up to match the passing cars and try to merge right to get past the one directly ahead. For whatever (selfish) reason, rather that opening up a slot, they will more often pinch you off. Which is why you tent to get these trains in the right lane while the left lane is totally empty. Seen the same driving technique in Korea.

No explaination for item 2.

As for the IREG and the 4x4 from hell. amazes me also, ie, if you are traveling much faster than the cars about you and you see one passing something op ahead, a small reduction in the throttle and by the time you reach them the road is clear again, no fuss, no hassle. Of course if you read the traffic in a limited 10' radius, this is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Funxy wrote:
    What's even more annoying is heading along in the slow lane which is completly free of traffic, then coming around the corner only to see someone doing about 100 in the fast lane with noone else on the road. What do you do? Keep driving at your steady 120 in the slow lane, undertake and risk breaking the law. Or move to the fast lane come up behind, slow to their speed and wait for five mins before they realise your there :rolleyes:

The speed limit is 120, its my understanding that you are entitled to do that in either lane irrespective of whats going on in the other lane. I mean surely if the above situation occurs your not expected to slow to 100 and drive alongside them until they decide to speed up and/ or move int the left lane?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Very true, but annoying none the less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

iregk wrote:
    True story also what happened to a friend of mine. Driving down the M7 was over taking someone and came up behind a car in the over taking lane cuising along gingerly at 50 or so. He pulls up behind and the car dont move an inch. Actually slows down!!! Flash of the lights = slows down ever more. Not a sinner at this stage in the left lane so off he goes and under takes. As soon as he is past he pulls in front of the other car only to be met with a blue flashing light from that car!!!! A bloody garda unmarked!!!! Pulled him in and done him for dangerous driving!!!!

AAAWWW the last bit ruined it, I thought it was going to be a ghost car. The "this is a true story" disclaimer at the start immediatly registered as "ghost car"

You should change the story and pt in a ghost car, it would improve it no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Stekelly wrote:
    AAAWWW the last bit ruined it, I thought it was going to be a ghost car. The "this is a true story" disclaimer at the start immediatly registered as "ghost car"

You should change the story and pt in a ghost car, it would improve it no end.

Wtf? where did that come from?

Oh and in reponse to someone (can't recall who and too lazy to recheck) asked had i ever driven on the continent. Actually spent 6 months living in Germany. Driving from Heidleberg to Frankfurt every day for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

GAFF wrote:

nope I think you will find that cars don't come out of nowhere. that would break the laws of physics unless they are being teletransported, but then why would we be using cars!

apparently one of the more commone phrases put down on insurance claims "car came out of nowhere" ... class! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

im still confused,
    did you see him before you began the maneuvre or when hr started flashing his lights?
    how long were you planning to take to do the maneuvre?
    did you see him in your mirror when you were overtaking and watch him approach?

either you saw him before the maneuvre, you know his speed so i presume you saw him before he was behind you doing 120kph,
    or you saw him approaching while you were at 120kph and he was at 160-170kph,
    your move should be complete within 5 - 10 seconds and then you move over,
    so you were taking your time overtaking if he had a chance to gain enough ground that you could judge his speed through your rear view.

either way,
    if you know his speed before he was at 120 and up your arse [laws of physics that he cant go faster than you if your in his way] then he didnt appear out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Undertake them and get on with life, why waste energy getting frustrated? I conducted an experiment on an empty motorway one morning, I came up behind this auld biddy who was doing 60 in the overtaking lane, and i drove behind her with my full lights on (always have them on) for about two miles, she never once looked in the mirror during this time, I wasn't tailgating her or doing anything, just watch her head and the road ahead, not once did she look in the mirror. At the end there were 3 cars behind me too, so i just undertook her, as did the rest of the cars.

Another time on the M50, a truck doing 45-50 on the overtaking lane, I pulled into the inside lane and drove along barely passing him, when an ambulance pulled up behind him, sirens and lights blaring. The guy didn't even notice the ambulance ffs.. The ambulance ended up undertaking the idiot.. says it all really..

There's no point in getting wound up by these eejits. And I know all the do-gooders are gonna say two wrongs don't make a right, bla-bla-bla. But at the end of the day sanity prevails is my motto.

css wrote:
    with my full lights on (always have them on)

is there s point to doing that,
    besides encourging me to spit at you as you blind me?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's no point in getting wound up by these eejits. And I know all the do-gooders are gonna say two wrongs don't make a right, bla-bla-bla. But at the end of the day sanity prevails is my motto.
    Exactly. I mean, what is the realistic alternative in a situation like this? You either sit behind him doing the same speed as he is, adding to the problem, or you sit in the nearside lane doing the same speed as he is, creating a moving roadblock. Either way you can't win.

I usually sit behind them for a bit, and depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I'll try the indicator and/or headlight flashing technique. If these fail within a reasonable time frame, I'll move over to the left, slowly move forward, and when I'm convinced he's not going to do anything silly, I'll floor it and get past him as quickly as possible.

Chalk wrote:
    is there s point to doing that,
    besides encourging me to spit at you as you blind me?

By full lights I mean dips, not this parking lights only crap.. I always use them for visibility, other cars can see me easier. Not so important on motorways but normal roads it helps a lot.

Alun wrote:
    Exactly. I mean, what is the realistic alternative in a situation like this? You either sit behind him doing the same speed as he is, adding to the problem, or you sit in the nearside lane doing the same speed as he is, creating a moving roadblock. Either way you can't win.

I usually sit behind them for a bit, and depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I'll try the indicator and/or headlight flashing technique. If these fail within a reasonable time frame, I'll move over to the left, slowly move forward, and when I'm convinced he's not going to do anything silly, I'll floor it and get past him as quickly as possible.

No point in flashing usually, if i do flash it'll only be once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

css wrote:
    By full lights I mean dips, not this parking lights only crap.. I always use them for visibility, other cars can see me easier. Not so important on motorways but normal roads it helps a lot.
    Agreed I drive with my dipped beams on all the time....whatever makes me more visible to other road users cannot be a bad thing

css wrote:
    my mistake,
    dips are, of course, perfectly fine to use.

Overtaking/passing stupidity;
    This just happened while I was on the highway an hour or two ago.

Pretty dense traffic, 3 lanes, all moving about 50 ~75 depending on lane.
    I'm in the left most (faster one on this occasion), doing about 75ish. String of cars ahead doing exactly the same speed with a large gap between the last one and me.

We’re all passing cars in the middle lane which are dong about 5~10mph less. So not fast passing, not a roadblock either.

Anyway, I detect a SUV creeping up on my tail. You know when one is invading your driving space, so I could feel the angst of this driver to get past, the agitated tapping of the foot on the accelerator behind me....
    Being co-operative and no wish to have an SUV over me, I pulled into a large space in cars in the middle lane, just to let it past. Just at that same moment a car from the right-most lane also decided to join the center lane ahead of me. No big deal.
    Meanwhile the SUV accelerated briskly, in that manner that leaves you wondering if they are going to clip your rear quarter off and off with (her), but only to cut across in front of the car now ahead of me and take an off ramp.

Now that was a really smart and well-planned piece of driving don't you think (not)? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

comanche wrote:
    nope I think you will find that cars don't come out of nowhere. that would break the laws of physics unless they are being teletransported, but then why would we be using cars!

apparently one of the more commone phrases put down on insurance claims "car came out of nowhere" ... class! :)

You know what I mean :rolleyes: !
    They approach extremely quickly due to the speeds they are travelling, maybe its warp speed :) .

GAFF wrote:
    You know what I mean :rolleyes: !
    They approach extremely quickly due to the speeds they are travelling, maybe its warp speed :) .

I know exactly what you mean. I had one in my rear view mirror once, next I knew it had removed my rear bumper.
    and unfortunately, as often as not, and unlike items traveling at warp speed, tend to change mind/direction at warp speed also.

Advertisement