Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EuroPC offer: Toshiba A60

• 12-07-2005 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I'm just wondering if you think this is a good price for a laptop?

EuroPC.co.uk are offering this for £399 ex vat, and £25 to send to ireland... so that'd be 615 euro in total.

Toshiba A60, P4 3.06GHz,

- Toshiba - A60
    - Windows XP Home
    - Intel Pentium 4 3060Mhz Processor
    - Notebook 256Mb DDR SDRAM pc333
    - 40Gb IDE notebook hard drive
    - 15" XGA TFT-LCD (1024x768)
    - Notebook internal DVD Rewriter
    - 64Mb Radeon 7000 (Shared)
    - Sound on board
    - Standard onboard 10-100 RJ45 NIC
    - Notebook on board 56k V92 modem
    - Three USB ports
    - 0 notebook PCMCIA slot used 1 free
    - UK keyboard layout
    - 0 DIMM slots used 1 free

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Thats a fairly old spec - will still run reasonably - but a Radeon 7000 is a very old gfx chip. Will still be better than some of the newer onboard graphics but not by much.

No wireless networking either.

I reckon you could do better....even a new dell for a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 legofireman

cool, thanks i really appreciate your help.

i checked out the dell outlet store but the laptops they offer seem to have worse specs... for example 1.3GHz instead of 3... dvd-rom, instead of DVD Rewriter... 56k modem instead of 10/100 LAN...

i assumed that a 3GHz laptop would be way better than a 1.3GHz one... and i assumed that GHz and RAM were the two main things to look out for... am i wrong?

thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I had trouble getting 500 euro for mine-an identical spec-a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Careful on Ghz since there are 3 types of intel chips in laptops.

Celeron-m's are lousy and should be avoided if at all possible. They will have speeds from about 2.4Ghz upwards.

Pentium4-m's will have speeds from 2.8-3.4Ghz and are powerful but have very restricted battery life. These are usually found in desktop replacement laptops.

Pentium-m's will range from 1.3Ghz to 2Ghz and will be almost as powerful as a p4 that is marked upto 1Ghz faster. The will offer the best battery life and the give little away interms of speed.

An AMD Athlon64m or Turion will also be a rare but good buy. But not as good as as the P-m's.

Memory more is better.
    Disc more is better.
    Wifi 802.11b/a/g (any combination) is almost a must on any laptop that you want to travel with.

thanks, i'll definitely use that as a guide.

if anyone has any recommendations for a laptop for around 600 -650, please let me know! thanks!

• Advertisement

perhaps this Acer Aspire 50002LM for 673.905 + postage from the UK? (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=3248&category_id=86&manufacturer_id=0)

AMD Turion 1.6GHz / 512MB DDR
    60GB HDD / DVD Dual
    64MB SIS Shared / 15” XGA

it's a bit cheaper here... here

do you think this is a good buy?

thanks!

Advertisement