Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

damn rules!

• 11-06-2001 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I've found that also with the rules on seizing table quarters, some armies, tyranids and eldar esp, have too much of an advantage over slower forces such as imperial guard and some marine forces.

An assault mission might have been quite interesting...

Be glad Regi that you don't play Imperial Guard, that would have been a massacre, even their tanks can't afford to get isolated, and in a game like you played this would have meant handing the game to Dev. Still at least Space Wolves can actually take on tyranids in hand to hand, most other forces can't.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

If it wasn't for them, I would have won smile.gif

DeVore and I played a game in our league last night. 1500 points of Space Wolves (me) vs his Tyranids on a standard cleanse mission.

It was always going to be hard for me to cover much ground - only my bloodclaws on bikes had much speed - and tom had a good portion of his army geared for speed.

Took up a defensive position with a squad of grey hunters and a wolf lord with two wolves and a bodyguard of half a dozen terminator wolfguard, and watched as most of tom's force (assault tyranid warriors, genestealers, carnifex, raveners and zoanthropes) ploughed around the side of the map and into them, whilst on the other side of the map, I had another squad of grey hunters to hold a wall against a swarm of eighteen gaunts and a squad of shooty tyranid warriors.

Went okay - moved my bloodclaws bikes against the gaunts and warriors, and a squad of regular bloodclaws and a dreadnought up to help the grey hunters and wolf lord/wolf guard, and managed to mash most of tom's force taking moderately heavy losses. The Tyranids ****ed off with only the genestealers and carnifex left smile.gif

The bloodclaws on the bikes ate the gaunts and then managed a nine inch advance, a twelve inch move and a six inch assault into the shooty warriors, carving them down to half strength, so I got that quarter. However, DeVore held his quarter, and contested the other two (the last one with his final move!), and scored the win.

I was dead happy with the army. The Terminators terminated with extreme prejudice and the bloodclaw bikes always got to charge with all their attacks, but my defensive play and overall lack of speed meant that there was no way I compete with tom to take table quarters, despite wiping out most of his army. A good game!

Oh yeah... 2+ and 3+ saves mmmm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ARGGGGH Those ****ing Terminators and their 2+ saves.

I felt confident once I got the first deploymoent, slapping a Carnifex with a venom cannon down right at the centre of the board. The "no deployment within 18 inches" rule meant that that the fighting would happen in Dan's quarter so I was already ahead.

I ran the Gaunts and Warriors accross the table and neatly carved up some Space puppies with the gaunts (who were cannon fodder!). The Gaunts must have thought they were invincible as they swept into the bikes. 12 dead Gaunts in one turn. Ouch.

On the other side, 8 Genestealers, 4 Raveners, 4 Warriors, 1 Carnifex, 1 Tyrant and 2 Zoanthropes laid claim to the Neutral quarter. After three rounds of successfully getting Dan to roll ones (bye bye Assault Cannon) I had been whittled down somewhat but still charged the Marines with the Raveners and Warriors (leaping rulez!).
    A Carnifex with a Barbed strangler bombed the marines and terminators again and again with Ordance Template Str 8 hits. Of course the marines noticed shag all with their saves of 2+ and 3+

My poor raveners and warriors got unceremoniously chomped as I failed to roll ANY 6's for rending claws and I got cut down abruptly.

Suddenly I had one lonely Zoanthrope (who had been having a gunslinging fight with Dan's Dreadnought). Last blast immobilised the Dreadnought for the rest of the game and it shot back sending the Zoanthrope to oblivion.

I had precisely 2 carnifex and one tyrant left and strategically placed them in three different quarters to claim a victory on the scenario. Jammy git that I am smile.gif

But I still ****in *hate* marines.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

lol Regi, as I recall that is one of the easiest matchup in the game (although I think the rule book has been re-writen since I was playing) Area effect weapons tear up tyranids ...

http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Fragnet

No AE weapons, except one heavy flamer (unused!) and two missile launchers. They got hewn down in assault or shot up with bolters and lascannons smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 WolfeTone

orks would give tyranids a run for their money in hand2hand too id say .
    2 attacks + 4 weapon skill for sometihn like 11 points! They also get some extra attacks along with +1 for chargin and some for having numbers too

[This message has been edited by WolfeTone (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh god,

those Lazcannon...

Not the face... NOT THE FACE!!!!

DeVore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

You want to Fight? Fight me!

After being your ref(who edded up hiding in with the computer in Simons room) and listening with some form of intent to your well formulated discussion regarding the 2 version of 40K being played by you guys. I would like to play a league or a friendly game on thursday nite or Friday(day off)
    I am not going to be onlibne for long so call or mail me directly about a fight.

Yes I agree "DAMN RULES" getting in the way of me winning.
    .C

Advertisement