Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ tomorrow night at the Irish Miler club

• 12-07-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

Tomorrow night is an Irish Miler Club time trial night at the Irishtown stadium..New to Athletics in Ireland is a DJ on race days..It happens in the UK and Europe but not here..Well thats all about to change as there will be a DJ playing music for most of the night..Its much better for athletes warming up and makes the event a little more exciting..Will let the board know how it goes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Is anyone going? Some of the lads I train with were thinking of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Squirrel wrote:
    Is anyone going? Some of the lads I train with were thinking of it
    yeah there is a few know of..In the 800m is James Nolan and David cambell..In the 3000m is Paul Fleming..In the 600m is Fintan Mcgee and ill give it a bash for the laugh!...Havn't heard who else will be there but i dont think there will be as many as normal as the national senior track and field championships are a week and a half away..But ya never know???

Well it was a good night in Irishtown last night with the mens 800m stadium record broken by james nolan..Richie yeats ran away with the 3000m and Eugene o Neill won the 1500m..Music was played from 6.15 to 7.15 from a DJ,the sound had to to be lowered as there was complaints from the local residents in the area then the IMC chairman done his stuff on the mic for the night..Its funny as it was down as a timetrial but it was just like any race meeting with race numbers,club singlets and race officials..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 groovyspoon

The Dublin Athletic Board should take note. Last nights event is an example of how meetings should be run.

Even though yesterday wasn't an "official" race meeting, there was still a great atmosphere and buzz about the place. As always Liam Moggin was great on the mic and kept people informed and even managed to fill in those gaps between races.

The atmosphere at recent Dublin graded meetings has been poor and attendances and performances are down in comparison to previous years. There is a sense of event at all the IMC meets and it doesn't take much to enhance some simple race meets: A clock at the finish line; a decent commentator and a realistic timetable that is adhered to! Could these IMC meets take over from the graded's?

All it takes is a little bit of effort and imagination. The last thing we want to do is discouage the small numbers we do have from competing on home soil. Congrats IMC on a wonderful series so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I have to agree with groovyspoon,

[rant] in one of the Gradeds I was doing a 400 metres scheduled for half 7 I think, but previously they had scheduled 5 minutes for the Grade A 100 metres AND a kids 3000 metres relay, I mean how could they possibly think that would take 5 minutes.[/rant]

The BMC's are so much more entertaining than IMC's, if only we could attract the fields they do. If you ever get the chance to go to a BMC I'd strongly advise to take it.

• Advertisement

At the IMC races all races run on time which is what the athletes want as your warm up is based on what time the race starts..For example last friday at the the 7th graded meeting in ringsend the 5000m was scheduled for 9pm(the last race of the night) A rathfarnham runner was warming up in the park at 8.40 and i was doing my cool down,we chatted away and headed back into the stadium to our amazment the race had already started as we walked in ..They made an announcement that the A and B races would be run together.How would anyone know this if you were warming up elsewhere..I can only imagine how angry the runner was as he said he would of been in the top 3..This would not have happened at an IMC meeting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 groovyspoon

I have actually been to all the BMC races this year and I'm headin to Cardiff tomorrow. I have to admit, it really puts all Irish events in the shade. Great organisation. You even get the start list a day or two before the race (just like the IMC... yay!) so you can plan your warm up long before you even get to the track (if thats what you like to do)! Even with 8 mens 800m races in Solihull, everything went like clockwork.

If anyone wants a PB and is in shape, the best place to go is over to a BMC meet. Pace makers in all races with great atmosphere... no excuses.

The IMC are going in the right direction but the only thing that would make the meets better (in my opinion) is a bigger attendance. Obviously we don't have the same population as England, but we should be making an effort to bring some of them over here. Lets face it, I'm sure its just as cheap for them to travel to Dublin as it is to go elsewhere in Britain (Thanks Ryanair). The womens attendance is particularly poor and could really do with a boost. I would say it is hard to get a fast time when you are only competing against 2 other runners.

..Next year a couple of lads and myself are going to do the BMC races as we will be in much better shape after a good winters training and cross country season behind us..We will be able to experience it for ourselves as all we hear is good things on how well run it is..If your racing in cardiff (best of luck)if your spectating let us know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 back to form

dj was class at time trail event.would be great at nationals.some events paly music during races.maybe not nationals but graded meets and Irishmilers club is great.

Advertisement