Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sayoc Training in da States

• 12-07-2005 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I've just come back from 2 unbelieveable weeks training in the States at the Sayoc Sama Sama (family gathering) and on to Jersey to train with Guro Carl Atienza which was absolutely great as well. The standard of the practisioners of every kind of system present there was unreal. Although I just got back early today my mind is buzzing with all the new information and the chance to train/work the material we worked on. There is a small clip of Sama Sama on the website www.sayoc.com and if you're interested in multiple opponents material you should check out www.atienzakali.com which is also an excellant site. We've got formal permission from Guro Carl to start a training group here in Ireland and we hope to have him here in September.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

good to hear you had a good training holiday.

i'm looking at the video right now. there's a lot of big guys at it. to be honest, it reminds me of a cross between the police academy scene at the beach party, lord of the flies, and some kind of knife cult.

it is very artistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

sounds like you had a good time training there dave, and good luck with the new training group. if you need somewhere in dublin to host the seminar give me a shout and i'll try to turn up on time this time ;)

was watching the videos there and was just wondering what are the legal implications on teaching people how to use a curved blade etc. is the knife offence stuff only for special forces or can anyone learn how to use a blade to cut femoral arteries etc. the couple of times i've had to use relatively soft grappling techniques in real situations i've had trouble with the police justifying the use of strangles etc i can only imagine trying to justify the use of a concealed weapon :eek:

tell us about how you kicked some people's ass on the means streets of dublin jk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dont think you could call the monstrosity that dave was hefting in that clip "concealed" :D

maybe if you turn up for training when you say you will!! just joking :)

ah nothing really, did the door for a couple of years so had a couple of silly little instances dealing with drunk aggressive people - nothing worth writing about.

but was just making the point that every time i had to justify my actions to the police and nearly had a couple of cases against me even though i acted solely in self defence with techniques that caused no long term effects. so was just wondering where actually using weapons on attackers fits into self defence and is it legally defencible??

• Advertisement

sorry jk had issues beyond my control. i'll get there one day.
    (60 euro a month and working shift where there are 15 days of that month i definetly can't train isn't viable)

cool and the gang

well drop down sometime for a roll anyway :) but if you try and stand up expect immediate 'throwing of the gward' :D

anway getting back on topic...

you're cruising for a judo chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Thanks for the comments lads and it was a great time. The clip you see on the site is just the Sayaw which of course a lot of people would not be into, and without wanting to sound mystical, its more of getting in touch with your spiritual side. Guro Carl Atienza explained that (similar to a lot of cultures/tribes such as Native Americans or Thai Krabi Krabong fighters) in olden times warriors prepared for battle by lighting a fire (helps you get in Alpha state very quickly) and dancing with a live blade to get in touch with whatever elements in which you believed ie Creator, the Earth, your inner self. Its very hard to describe how powerful that night really was and I guess you have to experience it firsthand for people to understand what its all about and it also helps you to control your energies (which I found extremely hard to do, and even found it hard to sleep that night I was still buzzing so much).
    JK these are just gonna be my own personal opinions expressed here, but yes Sayoc Kali is a very offensive art and not really big on "self defence". Depending on where you are located (and the laws where you live) the system does not necessarily advocate the carrying of live blades, and they teach a wide variety of improvised weapons which wouldn't be classed as offensive by LEO's but extremely effective in protecting yourself. Secondly I travel abroad quite a lot and when in doubt I would carry a live blade for protection particularly those countries where firearms are legal. Obviously it use is for extreme situations only which may not be widespread here (?) but even just recently in Galway there was another pitched battle between rival traveller gangs and I've seen these go at it "real" close (used to live in a ****ty neighbourhood) and believe me they don't care about innocent bystanders. Also had a close friend have a family member attacked by scum with a samurai sword. In terms of protecting my family, I really wouldn't care about legalities/justifying myself, if I felt their safety was in danger in ANY way. Lastly, in order to understand how to deal with a live blade you really have to have that feeling of working with one to REALLY know what you're up against.

so, eh, what's a live blade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kevin, were you judo chopped a lot as a child :confused:

cheers dave

live blade - sharpened blade, as opposed to dull/blunt blade for training

Bambi wrote:
    Kevin, were you judo chopped a lot as a child :confused:

yes.

oh that's what a live blade is? i thought it was some kind of metal with midiclorions in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

And nanodroids kevin .. Dont forget the nanodroids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Where can I meet an Instructor , in Dublin is probably closest?
    What else is in the syllabus besides live blades? Pocket sticks or even Dog Brothers stick work?

Drop me a PM even ,I might even drop up!

Advertisement