Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail solutions

Options
  • 12-07-2005 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm probably posting to a wrong forum but I give my shot anyway. A friend has started a biz and is looking for all-in-one easy e-mail solutions, ie. pop3, webmail and self-administer (eg like cpanel or ensim). He has at least 10 employees and need a quick setup but not looking into running own server (eg. hooking upto external SMTP service) at the moment. Probably later when the biz really make it.

I have been looking around for some cheap hostings, the features and stuff are more than required with exception of SPACE. Considering the biz is a consultancy biz, they expect daily e-mail usage is high, forwarding various documents and stuff. We dunno how to estimate this but suppose limiting an e-mail box to 20MB is quite squeezing especially if the user retains every mails received. We also consider if it is possible to move around all mailbox contents from 3rd provide to own server if that's gonna happen.

So guys, any suggestion ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

1. Don't rule out MS Small Business server which is quite competitive at €399 for 5 cals on a cheap dell server ( SC420 or such )

2. www.Directnic.com do cheap domains, email and hosting solutions - if you use pop3 - then there is no real mailbox limit if the email account is used frequently ( and not configured to leave the mail on the server )

3. if you want to keep it local - just search for .ie hosting on google and people like hostingireland etc can put together a solution for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Any irish host can give you a solution, we do mail hosting (note from mod: stop advertising your prices in your post - last warning) per month as do many other hosts. Hosting in-house is only recommended for very large enterprises, where security and 'ownership' rank higher than uptime and service. Ideally, no company should host their own mail server :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ideally, no company should host their own mail server :)
    That is the stupidest comment I've seen in a long time.

It makes a lot of sense to have your own mail server in your office, especially as a lot of companies use the server for more than just mail.

Having said that, if they do not want the administrative overhead initially most hosts offer pop3 and IMAP with webmail these days. Space per mailbox shouldn't be an issue. What can be a problem is gigantic attachments :)

(trying to send 80 MB attachments via email is not a good idea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bcloh

Check here :-
    http://www.altn.com/
    Very reliable and easy to set up.

Ah well Michele, lets not argue about who's stupid :)

I was making the point that outsourcing a service as critical as email is a better idea that doing it inhouse. What happens when the power goes, the dsl line goes, there is a fire, there is a hardware problem, the guy who runs the mail server leaves.

You're in the outsourcing business Michele, you should know better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ah well Michele, lets not argue about who's stupid :)

As usual you find the English language hard to comprehend *sigh*
    I never said that you were stupid. I said the comment was stupid.
    I was making the point that outsourcing a service as critical as email is a better idea that doing it inhouse.
    No. You were trying to make a sale.
    You're in the outsourcing business Michele, you should know better :)

I am strong believer in selling people appropriate solutions.

Honestly Michele, must every post vaguely relate to hosting degrade in such a way! In my opinion, hosting email in house is very very seldom 'appropriate'. You simply need to differ with my opinion, not act 'high and mighty'. A little humility is a good thing, and everything you disagree with is not 'stupid'. Enough of this already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Apologies to original poster, but this thread is closed as it is bordering on a bitch-fest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement