Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business use for a private car

Options
  • 12-07-2005 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

What exactly are you entitled to when you use your car for work?

Im getting a mileage rate at the moment appropriate to my 1.6l petrol car.

I'll be doing ALOT of driving around the entire country about 3-4 days a week, should they be paying my car insurance? Or should I be getting a car allowance? How exactly does the whole thing work when you own a car and its being used primarily for business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you employed or self employed.

Best thing to do is get a mileage rate in accordance with the rates published by the Revenue Commissioners. www.revenue.ie

If you are using your car for that much work, you may need to inform your insurance company.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's going to be ~€200 extra to get commercial insurance on the car depending.

The milage allowance is supposed to cover that too - like repairs and tyres and stuff - depends on the company

Advertisement