Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband webspace

• 12-07-2005 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

I was recently on to a BT rep about the free 100mb webspace and to register me for it as it says on the website to ring tech. so then the rep gives me a web address that only works for the dial-up service, so i ring up again and inform the reps again and they say mine is the first problem reported, now ive seen on the other BT thread that other people have this same issue aswell, so i told the woman that im not the only one who has this fault, so she then asks for my name and telephone number, and then tells me that i was originally an eircom customer and that the webspace is'nt available to eircom customers, so i got annoyed and said im now a bt customer and a bt BB customer according to your official letters, so i then asked for the girls full name so i could send in a complaint and she then put me on hold, so persistant that i am i put the phone on speaker phone and sat down and waited and waited, around 25mins and then hung up, so im sending a complaint to BT about this issue, but i wanna know if any BT BB customers who tried to register BB webspace succesfully got it, and if they did how did they.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

The best way to get anywhere with BT is to email Bill Murphy direct.. I had a prob recently accessing a particular site. Tech support told me to reinstall my fire wall!!!!!!!!! emailed bill & problem sorted within the hour.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

has'nt he left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Sparky_S wrote:
    I was recently on to a BT rep about the free 100mb webspace and to register me for it as it says on the website to ring tech. so then the rep gives me a web address that only works for the dial-up service, so i ring up again and inform the reps again and they say mine is the first problem reported, now ive seen on the other BT thread that other people have this same issue aswell, so i told the woman that im not the only one who has this fault, so she then asks for my name and telephone number, and then tells me that i was originally an eircom customer and that the webspace is'nt available to eircom customers, so i got annoyed and said im now a bt customer and a bt BB customer according to your official letters, so i then asked for the girls full name so i could send in a complaint and she then put me on hold, so persistant that i am i put the phone on speaker phone and sat down and waited and waited, around 25mins and then hung up, so im sending a complaint to BT about this issue, but i wanna know if any BT BB customers who tried to register BB webspace succesfully got it, and if they did how did they.

Thanks

What a stupid beotch that rep was!!!

I did the signup and found out that it was only for dialup users.
    Personially, Im sure that next to no home BB user have got the 100MB of webspace as its not exactly shown on the setup manual or main page to signup for it.

At 14:00 tomorrow I'll be makeing a similar call like you...ask for the name of the operator(they get very narky when you ask this as calls are taped!) and will post the name here and a rough transcript of the conversation for all to read if I dont get the 100MB of webspace prett damn quick!!!

=========================================================

From their site:
    How do I register web space for Broadband?

Question
    How do I register web space for Broadband?

Answer
    Broadband customers should call our Technical Support helpline

on 1890 923 111 for assistance with web space registration.

=========================================================
    Just rang them up.
    Due to some managers stupidity you will have to fill out the webspace form over the phone to get your webspace!
    Also its supposed to take 24 hours to get your Username/Password activated for the 100MB of webspace.
    Well we will see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

they should do an IP check instead of tht crappy line check to tell if you are BT

Well I am now transferrring a file into my 100MB of webspace at 13-14KBytes a second...a couple of seconds at 13k and a couple of seconds at 14k probable giving an average of 13.5KByte/s...not too bad!!!

FTP Login Details:
    Address:
    myhome.iol.ie

Username:
    whatever you picked

Password:
    whatever you picked

Persevere!!!

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote:
    they should do an IP check instead of tht crappy line check to tell if you are BT

Gaining access to your 100MB of webspace should be done using the username/password provided when you sign up for BT BB.
    They just dont want to allocate a couple of terabytes of server space due to cost!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zuma wrote:
    Gaining access to your 100MB of webspace should be done using the username/password provided when you sign up for BT BB.
    They just dont want to allocate a couple of terabytes of server space due to cost!!!

They wouldn't need to, they could easily setup a system where the space is only allocated when the person signs in the first time using their username and password. In this way they wouldn't need that much space as most users don't need it, yet at the same time make it easy for users to setup their space who want it. Best of both worlds.

Have BT a monthly transfer limit on their allocated webspace???

Testing out its max capacity now by uploading about 100MB of files and dont want to use half my transfer limit by doing so.

FlashFXP is telling me its going to take over 2hours!!....ahh bless eircom and their shítty upload speed...bastardos!!!

ive tried front page 2003 for the FTP and have put in ftp://myhome.iol.ie/public_html
    and put in my username and password but the box still pops up looking for my password

/me am confused

Sparky_S wrote:
    ive tried front page 2003 for the FTP and have put in ftp://myhome.iol.ie/public_html
    and put in my username and password but the box still pops up looking for my password

/me am confused

Yeah I'm playing around with it as well!!!
    Get a better FTP program to transferring files....I use FlashFXP and use Frontpage for creating the webpages.

Above works fine for me once you transfer al the files to th public folder...works great!!!

• Advertisement

its office pro. frontpage and i think its grand on the FTP side of things, i used the dial up number to get 10mb of free webspace but id rather my 100mb without the iolfree address.

Yeah BT bought iol.ie years ago and still havent switched over!

They should have scrapped anything to do with iol.ie years ago....

Advertisement