Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is slow! (was:What is Star-adserver.com)

• 13-07-2005 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Every boards.ie page i try and open i get the message "waiting for www.star-adserver.com" or "transfering from www.star-adserver.com" at the bottom of my browser and it's soooo bloody slow.

Would someone like to shed some light on what is going on.

Thanks,
    K
    Post edited by Shield on

It's the ad in the top-right (you may not be able to see it). It's downloaded from star-adserver.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I was just about to start a thread on this myself.

It has become incredibly slow. Any page just hangs on it for ages when loading.

Is there any chance it could be set to be the last thing to load in on a page?

It's making browsing boards.ie on broadband similar to 56k

Something needs to be done about it

This thread should have a better title to draw admin attention to this problem.

"star adserver slowing boards to a crawl-please fix!!"

For the time being, install adblock on Firefox and add *.star-adserver.com/* to your filter list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seamus wrote:
    For the time being, install adblock on Firefox and add *.star-adserver.com/* to your filter list.

Will do, thanks Seamus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That made a huge difference, cheers Seamus. Still for the many folk unaware of the root cause, or how to fix it, I think it's something the admins might wanna check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for the info Seamus, normal service has been resumed!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Thanks Seamus, This was getting very annoying.

ixoy wrote:
    That made a huge difference, cheers Seamus. Still for the many folk unaware of the root cause, or how to fix it, I think it's something the admins might wanna check out.
    It did for me too. I noticed it was slow, but put it down to other factors :)

No ad actually appears - star-adserver.com is either under load or not up. It's owned by www.salesonline.ie and the Administrative contact is david_at_salesonlineDOTeye-ee
    Probably best to give him a nudge and tell him his server is unhappy and his clients will be even moreso soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Alternatively put the following line into your hosts file, located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc in XP.
    127.0.0.1 www.star-adserver.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

adblock worked great. strange how not everyone is affected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i reckon they are.
    i was affected, nut instead of complaining i was going to write a cheque for a few grand to buy a new server.

saved me some moolah there lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I blocked those ads ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

so what does this star-adserver.com do? Does it follow the pages I visit from boards, track what forums i visit and display ads that reflect this?

spyware like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I've been having the same problem. I don't want to adblock stuff on boards, primarily because it's not too obtrusive and "for a good cause", but to be honest it was driving me nuts, so I had to. If any of the admins are reading this, can anything be done?

Cheers,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks Seamus, huge difference :)

Only thing is that Dev et. al. might not be pleased with this suggestion? Surely that site generates revenue for boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's not generating any revenue at the moment as it's invisible because of the problems that were happening with the drop down menu.

Personally I'm a subscriber, so my conscious is pretty clear with using the adblocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Regards ads, I block anything that interferes with my browsing experience. If it doesn't interfere, it doesn't get blocked. My conscience is clear on this one too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Oh, except for doubleclick. Block *.doubleclick.*/*, the feckers, first thing I do on Firefox install.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's still fairly slow here, after blocking that server.

unkel wrote:
    Only thing is that Dev et. al. might not be pleased with this suggestion? Surely that site generates revenue for boards.ie?
    Not when it's broken :)
    We know from past experience that DeV is an unhappy man when people's ads interfere with boards. If/when this is fixed, I'll happily remove the filter from adblock.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ads disabled until the system is back up and working ok. Sorry about the inconvenience.

To clarify, yes I get annoyed when people block our (inobtrusive ads) simply *because* we make them inobtrusive and respectful. Afaik there is no tracking or naughty things being done by Salesonline (who are selling ads for us). They are under clear instruction that such things will lead to anger from us. They seem like good guys in general so I'll cut them slack for the moment.
    I understand that if there is a technical problem then people should block them to continue using Boards. But if they want to continue using Boards long term, then they need to unblock them when they are working ok again. We simply cannot possibly exist beyond the end of this year without generating at least enough revenue to replace hardware. Thats not to speak of other costs we have.
    We'll get this sorted and back on the road.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

DeVore wrote:
    Ads disabled until the system is back up and working ok. Sorry about the inconvenience.

/me makes note to update filter tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Still seems slow to me, top menu loads then it just sits there for about 5 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Happening to me too. Sites been slow for the last two days. Browsing on Firefox here at home and on IE in work but it happens on both.

Is there any way of serving the ad after the rest of the page has loaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

ahhh, adblock worked for me, thanx seamus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

mad slow for me aswell, top banner works then a 10sec. wait for the rest of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

sorted it with the firefox adblock

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Still very slow here as well, every page load is taking at least 30 seconds, making boards nearly unusable, installing adblock now ...

XDA