Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is slow! (was:What is Star-adserver.com)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Slow for me as well. Can't adblock in firefox (work related stuff) which is forcing me to use IE to browse. :/

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Gonna have to resort to the adblock aswell now as it's driving me mad , thanks for the tip .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DeVore wrote:
    To clarify, yes I get annoyed when people block our (inobtrusive ads) simply *because* we make them inobtrusive and respectful.

Fallout to be honest. I would for example block "*/advert/*" and it would take out a load of sites. Would be here all day otherwise.

Site is still slow btw. Even with adblock. Might try installing ScriptBlock on this machine and see if that has any effect as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Very, very slow for me too, using IE6 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Get rid of it ! It is causing boards to download at dial-up speeds and i'm on 1MB a sec, why is it that every time an ad comes on boards it causes havoc, Before they were covering the dropdown menu for people, (and they still do for some afaik) They are sa annoying, i know they are boards life blood, but don't let em drain the blood out of us members.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I counted 21 seconds after clicking on "reply" before I could post this message. Painfully slow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

God bless you feedback people, this thing was driving me berserk. Adblock sorted -aint firefox great. You should post an advisory or something or people will leave in droves if they dont know whats wrong :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KatieK wrote:
    God bless you feedback people, this thing was driving me berserk. Adblock sorted -aint firefox great. You should post an advisory or something or people will leave in droves if they dont know whats wrong :eek:
    `
    No they won't :)
    Ideally this idea would be distributed to the minimal amount of people, and those who will kindly remove the block when the problem is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seamus wrote:
    For the time being, install adblock on Firefox and add *.star-adserver.com/* to your filter list.
    *\o/*
    Thanks Seamus.

It took 1.5 seconds for the reply box to come up, rather than the usual 3 to 7 second delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Seems to be fixed now.....just started working again for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep back in business

Much better for me now ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

DeVore wrote:
    Ads disabled until the system is back up and working ok. Sorry about the inconvenience.

To clarify, yes I get annoyed when people block our (inobtrusive ads) simply *because* we make them inobtrusive and respectful. Afaik there is no tracking or naughty things being done by Salesonline (who are selling ads for us). They are under clear instruction that such things will lead to anger from us. They seem like good guys in general so I'll cut them slack for the moment.
    I understand that if there is a technical problem then people should block them to continue using Boards. But if they want to continue using Boards long term, then they need to unblock them when they are working ok again. We simply cannot possibly exist beyond the end of this year without generating at least enough revenue to replace hardware. Thats not to speak of other costs we have.
    We'll get this sorted and back on the road.

DeV.

I've never been able to understand how ads work for the site owners. Does boards.ie get an amount for every browser that displays the ad, raher thana fixed amount per month? How exactly is this calculated, I thought adblock only stopped displaying the blocked content after it had been transferred (but I'm starting to think otherwise)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weird I started on Opera with no ad blocker and it was flying, but then BANG! now its at a crawl again for me. So its back to Firefox and adblock.

Mike.

hmmmmmmm, just a glitch it seems. Okay now.

Mike.

Bad again for me now, very slow to display a page :(

Fine again now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Camino and Safari, both not loading, only Firefox with the ad blocking works

Yep its borked unless you have adblock.

Mike.

Seems to happen to me in the first 1/2 of the day, and go away in the last 1/2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Absolutely crawling on IE6 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

seamus wrote:
    For the time being, install adblock on Firefox and add *.star-adserver.com/* to your filter list.

This isnt possible for boards users who are in work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

joejoem wrote:

Course it is ;)

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally Posted by zaph
    Absolutely crawling on IE6 at the moment.[i/]

I have seen solid tar moving faster i took me 20 mins to get from the front page to here, I'm also on IE6 and 1MB god help any dial-up users. This quick reply is great, i'd be waiting anoth 10mins for the reply sheet to come up other wise.

Just simply get rid of Staradserver or whatever is causing it, it's been like this all week on and off. I set up a little refugee camp on boards.us

http://www.boards.us/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4269#4269 this is the addy.

FIX IT :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Adblocked on FF and it's still like swimming in treacle.
    Someone give that ad server admin a kick up the arse...

[edit] Ah nevermind...found the problem; I was only blocking individual scripts instead of blocking the adserver domain.
    FFtools>Adblock>Preferences, type in http://www.star-adserver.com/ and click Add.

netwhizkid wrote:
    I have seen solid tar moving faster i took me 20 mins to get from the front page to here, I'm also on IE6 and 1MB god help any dial-up users. This quick reply is great, i'd be waiting anoth 10mins for the reply sheet to come up other wise.

Just simply get rid of Staradserver or whatever is causing it, it's been like this all week on and off. I set up a little refugee camp on boards.us

I'm wondering if you know who owns boards.us and whether the admins here would appreciate being called muppets. Granted it sucks, but they're trying to get it sorted. They're hardly out to get you...

See here for more information on the admins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

joejoem wrote:

Use your hosts file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just to note I have no problem with ads on these forums once they don't interfere with my enjoyment of them. As soon as this is fixed I'll unblock the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

netwhizkid wrote:

I doubt that solid tar would move data from the servers to your computer faster than 20 minutes but I'd love to see a video of you proving it.

I understand your frustration over not being able to access boards at lightning fast information-carrying tar speeds but you must understand something. You are not paying to use boards. Boards costs money to run and advertising is one of very few incomes that boards receives. Without advertising and subscribers it is possible that boards wouldn't exist at all (I may be slightly out on that).

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:

I understand your frustration over not being able to access boards at lightning fast information-carrying tar speeds but you must understand something. You are not paying to use boards. Boards costs money to run and advertising is one of very few incomes that boards receives. Without advertising and subscribers it is possible that boards wouldn't exist at all (I may be slightly out on that).

Hmm, its free so put up or shut up. Not a great model for success. Maybe its time to take a leap into the unknown (be that known or unknown) and go for a big meaningful subscription drive. Nothing crazy, 20 euro p.a. or you only get After Hours and The Cukoos Nest! :p

It would sure beat having to rely on third parties' software behaving itself.

Mike.

Advertisement