Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best matches in WWF/WWE history??

• 13-07-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

Hows it going!! I just wanted to find out what people think are the best matches to take place for one reason or another?? Whether it was Brock verus Eddie at No Way Out, or Shelton verus Shawn on Raw(that super kick was awesome)!! I would like to know... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

1. Kurt Anlge vs Shane McMahon (street fight) - KOTR 2002/3 i think.

2. Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect (IC Title Match) - Cant remember PPV or year. Bret reversed the Perfect Plex to win. Early 90s.

3. Edge/Christian vs Hardy Boyz vs Dudley Boys - Original TLC Match, OH MY!! (cheap pop) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=233855

Couldnt be arsed typing the above out again. Not just wwe/f there, but Im sure you'll get the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

WWF/WWE..
    Been years, however I will say.

HHH V Mankind, Barbwire, store room, everything. That match was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

How about Flair vs. Savage at wrestlemania.. Or Virgil verus the miillion dollar man... HBK versus Razor Ramon ladder match.. The Rock versus Foley at Backlash with chair shot after chair shot after chair shot, that was the night or even foley against Randall Orton from backlash with the rko on the tum tacs that was cool..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Triple H vs Mankind
    Jeff Hardy vs RVD - Ladder match for the IC title
    The first ever tables match I saw between the dudleys and the hardys, where jeff did the swanton bomb off the balcony ontop of the dudleys on top os 2/3 tables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭nevisgod

undertaker vs mankind in a hell in a cell match where mankind gets thrown off the top. class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Randy Savage versus Ricky the dragon steamboat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So many to choose from...

Hogan v Rock - WM18
    Bret Hart v British Bulldog - Summerslam 92
    Mankind v Undertaker (Hell in a Cell) - KOTR 98
    Austin v Rock - WM17
    The first two TLC matches
    RVD v Jeff Hardy - Invasion PPV

I could go on and on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=233855
    It's already there but i'll now add the first TLC match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 corpus

For me it has to be when Kurt angle faced Chris Benoit in a singles match Royal Rumble 2003, boy that had me on the edge of my seat.

Another was when Bret faced his brother Owen at Mania 10.

Another was when HBK faced Y2J mania 19 another classic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

even though he's in his 50's and well past his prime, i thought flair was great on raw last week against angle.

favourite match of all time though, has to be shawn michaels/razor ramone at WM10. i'm a complete mark for both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I will have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

corpus wrote:
    For me it has to be when Kurt angle faced Chris Benoit in a singles match Royal Rumble 2003, boy that had me on the edge of my seat.

Another was when Bret faced his brother Owen at Mania 10.

Another was when HBK faced Y2J mania 19 another classic!
    You're right on the money there. I have posted about the sheer brilliance of that match before, and I'll do so again. It really wasd about as good as a singles match could be; the only possible improvements would have been in the build-up, venue and PPV itself, things all out of their hands. Remember the overhead release german suplex that Benoit caught Angle with? It was one of the greatest single moves I have ever seen in my life, and it was followed by an incredibly longe ranged diving headbutt. Amazing finish too; Angle had never done the leg-lace ankle lock before, but the match had been so well put together that the crowd knew it was over.

It really is the best match I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wacker wrote:
    You're right on the money there. I have posted about the sheer brilliance of that match before, and I'll do so again. It really wasd about as good as a singles match could be; the only possible improvements would have been in the build-up, venue and PPV itself, things all out of their hands. Remember the overhead release german suplex that Benoit caught Angle with? It was one of the greatest single moves I have ever seen in my life, and it was followed by an incredibly longe ranged diving headbutt. Amazing finish too; Angle had never done the leg-lace ankle lock before, but the match had been so well put together that the crowd knew it was over.

It really is the best match I have ever seen.

I agree it's a great match but did you know that they regard their match at Unforgiven 2002 as their best match? Here is what Benoit says in an article in The Sun:

What made Kurt Angle such a perfect opponent for you in the WWE and of your many memorable matches with him which is your favourite?
    Ash, Leeds

I just clicked with Kurt and I look up to him and respect him as an athlete. To me, he's superhuman. How many people win a gold medal at the Olympics after recovering from a broken neck? He's our Michael Jordan.

I loved our match at the Royal Rumble in 2003, where I got a standing ovation, but we both feel our bout at Unforgiven 2002 in Los Angeles was a better wrestling match.

You can read it here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003560001-2005042323,00.html

The thing is, I struggle to remember that match. Anyone else feel the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That PPV is only €12.95 in most Golden Discs, so you can go buy it.

Im not sure have I actually even seen that one. If its better, it must be amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

jeff hardy vs undertaker, raw 2002, ladder match for undisputed championship.
    HBK vs Y2J wrestlemania 19 ( what a entrance by HBK)
    Team Austin vs Team Bischoff survivor series 2003
    Edge/hogan vs Billy/Chuck Tag Team Championship smackdown 2002(i think)
    X-pac Vs Shane o mac Wrestlemania 15

Oh ye best moment was return of HBK, or when austin rushed the ring to help the rock when nWo were beating the crap outa him what a moment i jumped in the air!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Between chris benoit's dvd and shawn michael's from the vault dvd you've got some of the best matches ever. From the benoit one -the matches with guerrero(both of them), regal, angle (both of them - cage match from raw and the rumble match), great sasuke, bret hert (owen hart tribute) and his world title win are all fantastic.
    From the michaels one you've got the ladder match with razor, hiac with the undertaker, ironman match with hart and mindgames with foley.

I agree it's a great match but did you know that they regard their match at Unforgiven 2002 as their best match? Here is what Benoit says in an article in The Sun:

What made Kurt Angle such a perfect opponent for you in the WWE and of your many memorable matches with him which is your favourite?
    Ash, Leeds

I just clicked with Kurt and I look up to him and respect him as an athlete. To me, he's superhuman. How many people win a gold medal at the Olympics after recovering from a broken neck? He's our Michael Jordan.

I loved our match at the Royal Rumble in 2003, where I got a standing ovation, but we both feel our bout at Unforgiven 2002 in Los Angeles was a better wrestling match.

You can read it here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003560001-2005042323,00.html

The thing is, I struggle to remember that match. Anyone else feel the same?
    Thats really wierd; I read an interview with Angle where he says the Rumble match was his favourite. I own both on DVD, and I have no doubt which one I prefer. While the Unforgiven one was great, it didn't have any real sense of imporance to it, and neither did it have a whole lot of time. It finished with a roll-up of sorts, while the Rumble match had the baby-face tapping out to a brand new finishing move. Go figure.

Vannistelroy10, I was at the Smackdown where Hogan and Edge beat Billy and Chuck! It was on July 2nd, and with Smackdown being shown two days later, it was broadcast on Independence Day. They gave everyone in the crowd these little American flags, which I only waved because the kid beside me looked shocked that I didn't share his enthusiasm. Hogan came out to Real American, when he had been coming out to Voodoochild before. It was great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Wacker wrote:
    Vannistelroy10, I was at the Smackdown where Hogan and Edge beat Billy and Chuck! It was on July 2nd, ... It was great fun.

that was boston right, yeah I was there too, when he came out to real american I thought the building would collapse the pop was so loud. I think there was an angle undertaker match that night that was looking good till they fudged the ending

• Advertisement

Wacker wrote:
    Thats really wierd; I read an interview with Angle where he says the Rumble match was his favourite. I own both on DVD, and I have no doubt which one I prefer. While the Unforgiven one was great, it didn't have any real sense of imporance to it, and neither did it have a whole lot of time. It finished with a roll-up of sorts, while the Rumble match had the baby-face tapping out to a brand new finishing move. Go figure.

Vannistelroy10, I was at the Smackdown where Hogan and Edge beat Billy and Chuck! It was on July 2nd, and with Smackdown being shown two days later, it was broadcast on Independence Day. They gave everyone in the crowd these little American flags, which I only waved because the kid beside me looked shocked that I didn't share his enthusiasm. Hogan came out to Real American, when he had been coming out to Voodoochild before. It was great fun.

I WOULD OF LOVED TO BE THERE
    I SAY THE PLACE WENT FOOKING NUTS, WHAT A MATCH BUT WASNT REAL AMERICAN HOGANS ORIGINAL MUSIC(I MIGHT BE WRONG). IT WAS A PUBLICITY STUNT BUT IF YOU GOT INTO IT, IT WAS AMAZING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

iron man hbk vs bret hart
    hbk and razor ladder
    mankind vs taker hell in a cell
    original tlc
    warrior hogan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The ricky "the dragon" steamboat and randy savage match in wrestle mania 3 was fantastic as already mentioned :) There was also another one cant remember which one it was from. Rowdy Piper V Adrian Adonis in a haircut match where Piper cut Adonis hair off at the end of the match :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

the pose down with ric rude and the warrior also springs to mind think it was rumble 89 was it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CharismaPeep

The Bret- Mr. Perfect match was at Summerslam 1991, and Epiphone was right, it was one of the best ever. How come nobody mentioned Pillman- Liger 92, Samoa Joe-CM Punk from last year or RVD-Jerry Lynn from Guilty as Charged '99. Bret-Benoit on Nitro in memory of Owen was class, a was Bret-Owen at Summerslam 95. In Order:

1)Pillman-Liger '92

2)Bret-Shawn WM12

3)Benoit-Hashimoto '91

4)Bret-Perfect '91 (a good year for wrestling)

5)Bret-Owen '95

6)RVD-Jerry Lynn '99

7)Punk-Samoa Joe '04

8)Bret-Benoit '99

9)HHH-Jericho '00

10)Bret-Austin '97

Anyone notice a pattern here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

jcoote wrote:
    the pose down with ric rude and the warrior also springs to mind think it was rumble 89 was it??

That was a classic, I loved it when Rude kicked Warriors ass after he lost. Jesse Ventura on comentary gloating "There's you winner Monsoon!" :D

Charisma Peep, if I were to hazard a guess as to why no one ever mentions RVD Vs Jerry Lynn at Guilty as Charged '99, it would be because they didn't fight at said Pay Per View!

Their matches went as follows:
    Crossing the Line '99: Van Dam got in the vast majority of the offensive here. Lynn still wasn't that over with ECW at this stage, and thus was not seen as a real contender. Van Dam got the win with the frog splash, as ever.

Living Dangerously '99: The best of the bunch, if you ask me. They really saw Lynn's potential against Van Dam in the previos one, and booked him as the star. He was always one step ahead of Van Dam in this amazing match. Lynn had just landed his tornado DDT finisher when the 20 minute time limit hit, and John Finnegean was going to award the belt to Lynn. He demanded five more minutes, where he was beaten by the five star. Post match, Van Dam agreed to another match.

Hardcore Heaven '99: This one was marred by Lynn being knocked out cold by a face first rip to the concrete from he top rope. Lynn was only able to land small bursts of offence for the rest of the match. Again he lost, beaten by Van Dams second five star frog splash.

Hardcore Heaven 2000: Both guys had recently returned from injury. Great match; Van Dam had it won until the Network attacked both guys. They were fought off only for Van Dams buddy Scotty Anton to turn heel on him. Jerry Lynn then got the win with two cradle piledrivers.

Guilty As Charged 2001: The last match of the final ECW PPV!Lynn was a heel by now. Not a great match. Van Dam got the win with a Van Terminator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

favourite match of all time though, has to be shawn michaels/razor ramone at WM10. i'm a complete mark for both of them.
    Yip
    2 Gr8 ladder fights.
    The first was unbelievable.
    Hey Chico,say hello to the bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

Hulk Hogan Vs Ultimate Warrior. Wrestlemania VI.
    Undertaker Vs Diesel. Wrestlemania XII.
    Undertaker Vs Yokozuna Casket Match. Royal Rumble 94.
    Ultimate Warrior Vs Macho Man Randy Savage Career ending match. Wrestlemania VII.
    Jack The snake roberts Vs Eartquake. One outstanding of their many matches.
    Jack The snake roberts Vs The Model Rick Martel blindfold match. Wrestlemania VII.
    Kurt Angle Vs Shawn Michaels. Wrestlemania XXI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

I think i noticed your pattern there charismapeep, most of those matches where not in WWF/WWE but in ECW or WCW.

Advertisement