Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Civic Golf or Focus

Options
  • 13-07-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

What do you think is the Best buy. I am living over in England and for £5-£6K I would be able to afford a 00/01 Golf 01/02 Civic or a 01/02 Focus. All are pretty good buys I think just wondering what the general opinion on this is?

Civic Golf or Focus 25 votes

01/02 Civic Vetec
    0% 0 votes
    00/01 Golf
    52% 13 votes
    01/02 Focus 3dr Zetec
    48% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Being a Golf owner I'd say go for the Golf :) They do have their electrical problems but that's really about it. The build quality is superb, you really feel like your driving a very solid car.
    That said, it is heavy and it is sluggish, the 1.4 is only 75bhp. Also you'll pay for extras that really should be standard.

To be honest I don't think Civics should even enter into it. I think they look horrible and they feel all plasticky and cheap. Nimble little feckers though.

I like the Focus, for me it was a toss-up between that and the Golf. Although I did mention that to my mechanic afterwards and he said I was better off with the Golf, breaks his heart every time he sees a Focus arriving into the garage. Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think Golf's are just over-priced and you get more bang for your buck with either of the other two. I think even doors are an extra on golf's these days.
    I would just feel that the salesman was laughing into his sleeves if I bought one.

Honda - well you're paying for the engine really. Everything else is just padding.

Focus - great handling but every second car out there is a Focus.

I would go Civic, Focus and Golf in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Like Splendir, I too think Golf's are way overpriced for what you get, unless the original owner was feeling flush getting comforts like electric windows are extra.

The Focus is quite a good car also, but if you're looking for a bit of poke try and get the 1.8 at least in the UK is would be affordable. The handling on the focus is superb and the 1.8 should be well specced.

Finally, you're looking at a VTEC Civic. Well, it's the engine that makes all the difference so it's either a 1.5, 1.6 or 1.8 Civic depending on the body type you are looking at. If you can try to get your hands on the 1.6 VTi 3 door. Has all the lift you'll need along with the comforts. Later models even came with a/c in the UK.

Of the two I personally would look at either the Focus or Civic. If you want something refined then the Focus, if you are happy to belt around in a wolf in sheeps clothing then the Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Focus. Good driver's car, best all-rounder
    jayok wrote:
    if you are happy to belt around in a wolf in sheeps clothing then the Civic.

I wouldn't go that far ;)

unkel wrote:
    I wouldn't go that far ;)

Don't know about that, the 1.6 done 0-100 km/hr in 7.3 secs. Would leave most Focus (barring maybe the RS) and even the Golf GTi at the lights - For 5k, oh the joy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

If I had to choose, I it would be between the focus and the Civic
    and would prob take the Focus Zetec , nice solid car to drive , quite responsive

the Civic well , as with all honda's they will be more than likely problem free, but I just dont like the look form about 00 on , i think it killed the car.

I always thought the golfs were like driving around in a bouncing castle, if u were ever that bit to quick comming in to a bend the over steer would catch u out in a sec, I never liked the feel the feel of them. Gear box's always felt a bit rough and chuncky, just not nice,

jayok wrote:
    Don't know about that, the 1.6 done 0-100 km/hr in 7.3 secs. Would leave most Focus (barring maybe the RS) and even the Golf GTi at the lights - For 5k, oh the joy! :)

a '01 Civic 1.6 does 0-100km/h in 10.2 seconds...

Exactly the same as a '01 Focus 1.8 and 0.7 seconds quicker than a '01 Focus 1.6 which is the same as both a '00 Golf 1.6 16V and a '00 Golf 1.6 8V

7 seconds is 2.0 liter 200bhp type-r territory :)

unkel wrote:
    a '01 Civic 1.6 does 0-100km/h in 10.2 seconds...

Exactly the same as a '01 Focus 1.8 and 0.7 seconds quicker than a '01 Focus 1.6 which is the same as both a '00 Golf 1.6 16V and a '00 Golf 1.6 8V

7 seconds is 2.0 liter 200bhp type-r territory :)

Ah, but it depends on the 01 Civic you are talking about. The 3 door 01 Civic was the older model and in this age the 0-100 km/hr time was about 7.3 seconds this was known as the VTi. Went like a bat out of hell, but you really, really had to rev the sh1te out of it. This is the wolf I was referring to. The 0-60 time for the 01 Civic there is the five door Civic (lastest model)

The latest 3 door Civic was released in 02 and as you state that does 0-100kmh in about 10.2 seconds. But this is a completely different engine - 110BHP (with 152Nm of torque I might add) versus 158BHP in the older car. It is tuned for economy and can deliver 50mpg on a long run. You would never get this out of the VTi.

As for the Civic Type-R, the 02-03 model does o-100kmh in 6.8 seconds, the 04-06 model will do 0-100kmh in 6.6s. But it's still crazy and as for economy? Ha, you'd be luck to get 35mpg! :eek:

jayok wrote:
    Ah, but it depends on the 01 Civic you are talking about. The 3 door 01 Civic was the older model and in this age the 0-100 km/hr time was about 7.3 seconds this was known as the VTi

Ah the older model! The VTi was really the predecessor to the type-r, wasn't it? It was produced until January 2001 and does 0-100km/h in 8.0 seconds. Pretty damn quick for a 1.6 :eek:

Max power reached at 7600rpm (torque at 7000rpm) so indeed you need to rev the sh!te out of it

The VTi was really the predecessor to the type-r, wasn't it?

Actually, there was a Type-R in that generation as well. It too was a 1.6 but tuned to put out 185BHP. Only availabe in the Japanese market, it is being imported here as a 2nd hand Jap import. It is ridicolously fast 0-60 in 5.7seconds or something like that, no sound proofing, no excessive weight, even a thinner windscreen! Problem was you really, really has to rev it to get anywhere, the torque output is miserable.

Seems to be a current fan of boy racers at the moment

• Advertisement

Never knew that one: the EK9

Never thought this morning I was gonna learn something about a Honda Civic today :)

Sorry for O/T :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id go for the focus ( a nice 3dr in silver) or have you considered the Seat leon, its a golf in (in my opinion) a nicer body and slightly cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Cyrus wrote:
    id go for the focus ( a nice 3dr in silver) or have you considered the Seat leon, its a golf in (in my opinion) a nicer body and slightly cheaper

This man knows style :D

I had a Focus, very nice car to drive. Only thing that lets it down is its engine. The Leon is as Cyrus says a Golf under the skin but you avoid the expence of owning the Golf, and imo the Leon looks more stylish. If you hold out a month you should be able to get a cheap Leon as the new style model is released in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

what about an audi a3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Having recently sold my (mint, 42k, 1997) Civic (great reliability, but light build), I am currently looking for a 00/01 car and have ruled out the Golf.

Why? Overpriced and a bad reputation re problems ....... see www.honestjohn.co.uk ............... I mean gearboxes regularly going at c.30 - 40k !! WTF?!
    I worked on, and drove, all sorts of cars over the years and gearboxes should easily last to c.150k+!

So I have decided to go for an Astra of Focus (in that order).
    Astra, realistic prices, excellent specs available and 90bhp on tap.
    Focus, more pricey than Astra, but nice car (pity the 1.4 is only 75bhp).

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'd go for the Golf or Civic, as someone else said, every second car is a Focus. And doors might be optional on a Golf but rear discs aren't, new Focus has drums, MKIV and MKV Golfs have discs

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Squirrel wrote:
    I'd go for the Golf or Civic, as someone else said, every second car is a Focus. And doors might be optional on a Golf but rear discs aren't, new Focus has drums, MKIV and MKV Golfs have discs

The new Focus has air con as standard on the 1.4 Zetec model upwards, air con is still a €1700 optional extra on all Golfs even the €36K Golf GTi.

Back to original post.

It would have to be between the Focus and the Civic for me.

I would go for the 1.8 TDCi Zetec Focus if I was getting one in the UK, they are more common over there and have 115bhp. Diesels are generally better looked after and are driven less in the UK than over here. If you are only interested in a petrol car I would go the 1.6 Civic myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Hm this is quite interesting, Im in a similiar situation to the OP but I've narrowed it down to just Golf v Focus. My budgets only €8k though (plus 1.4 is really the max I can do for insurance reasons) so I'll definately be buying lower end of the scale models, would that have any impact on recommendations? I know the golf is meant to be quite underpowered in 1.4 but given Ill just be using it for a 10minute drive to college daily in moderate traffic mostly that doesnt bother me too much.

On a budget of €8k you will be looking at a 1998 1.4 MK IV Golf, don't expect any creature comforts, such as electric windows, cd player, etc for that.

You will probably be better off with a Focus as you will get a 1999 Zetec model for the same money which will probably have electric windows, cd player or sunroof as standard. Neither car are brilliant in 1.4 but the Focus is more lively and alot better to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

bazz26 wrote:
    On a budget of €8k you will be looking at a 1998 1.4 MK IV Golf, don't expect any creature comforts, such as electric windows, cd player, etc for that.

Like this One

• Advertisement

Squirrel wrote:
    Like this One

Ah, the price reflects the 100k on the clock and I would need to verify that it actually has air conditioning as this still is a very expensive option on the Golf.

Advertisement