Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 'Double-Take' Offer...The Catch?

Options
  • 13-07-2005 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering what people think of the Nissan offer whereby if you buy a new Almera, Primera etc now you can exchange it for a brand new one in 2006. Is there some catch with this? It says on their site that 'Terms & Conditions Apply' but I can't see any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't see how they can make it work unless say the "new" car is in fact an old one, ie curent model already registered and sat in a field somewhere when it'll be "new" for someone next year.

Does this offer apply if the model in question is superceeded by an upgraded version?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

lads i think this is a case of clever wording.

my understanding of it is: a 2006 car at 2005 price (i.e. buy a 05 Nissan Primera now for example, trade it in against a 06 Nissan Primera but pay the 05 price).

For best answer call Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

ciarsd wrote:
    lads i think this is a case of clever wording.

my understanding of it is: a 2006 car at 2005 price (i.e. buy a 05 Nissan Primera now for example, trade it in against a 06 Nissan Primera but pay the 05 price).

For best answer call Nissan

Straight from the Nissan site:
    NISSAN DOUBLE TAKE
    Buy a new ’05 Nissan now and get a brand new ‘06 model next year absolutely free.

Now you can enjoy the luxury of two brand new Nissans for the price of one with Nissan
    Double Take! All you have to do is buy a new Nissan Micra, Almera or Primera now and
    we’ll exchange it for the equivalent ‘06 model next year, absolutely free. It’s that simple.

Check out some of the benefits you get with Nissan Double Take:

• 2 cars for the price of 1

• 2006 car at 2005 price

• 4 year warranty

• 3 year old car in four years time.
    Seems to be a little bit contradictory.. on the one hand it says 2 cars for the price of 1, and on the other hand it says 2006 car at 2005 price.
    If it is indeed the latter, I think it's a case for the ASAI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Once you keep below a certain mileage they take back the 2005 car and give you a 2006 car. They then sell on the 2005 car and still make a good profit because the mileage is kept low. I think its around 10000 miles. But you get charged a 150euro's for each 1000 you go over the limit. I thinks its the only the can sell the primera what a brutal suspension a friend bought one and brought us out for a spin we hit one pothole not a bad one I may add but the noise the suspension/body made I thought we had hit a cement block. The Micra's are good and the almera's aint bad but leave the primera well alone I have heard several stories this. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cond0r wrote:
    Straight from the Nissan site:

Seems to be a little bit contradictory.. on the one hand it says 2 cars for the price of 1, and on the other hand it says 2006 car at 2005 price.
    If it is indeed the latter, I think it's a case for the ASAI :)

It is very contradictory:
    we’ll exchange it for the equivalent ‘06 model next year
    2 cars for the price of 1

You could only call it 2 cars for the price of one if you get to keep the original one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Presumably you're buying a car in the second half of 2005 and they won't give you your 2006 car until the end of 2006 - both times when they need to get cars off the forecourts to get their numbers up. I can't see it working if they'll let you swap for your second car come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have also heard that part of the conditions is that it is only open to cash customers only, no trade-in. Cannot confirm this part though.

But I know that in order to qualify for this offer you have to take up their finance package which is a hire purchase agreement over 4 years I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the biggest catch is that you have to drive around in a Nissan Micra/Almera/Primera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

kbannon wrote:
    I think the biggest catch is that you have to drive around in a Nissan Micra/Almera/Primera :D
    Damn you beat me. Though I bet most people move house so, Nissan can't find them to supply the second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well I emailed Paul the Nissan Man this afternoon to send me the T&C. Not that I'm interested myself in buying one - or two :D

Just for all of us to know. Will share when (if) I get reply
    eoin_s wrote:
    You could only call it 2 cars for the price of one if you get to keep the original one.

Agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Seems straight forward, however, you might want to check that items like tax, VRT, new car registration, etc are covered.
    If you have a loan/lease, you may have fees that are not covered.
    and/or it is mileage limited. ie if you do more than 15K in the year, you cannot apply.

eg, you might win $10Mill in the lottery here, but nobody mentions that the taxman takes ~50% immediately.

So just ask for a full disclosure of the exclusions, there's probably more than 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Is the Primera really that bad a car? I was thinking of buying one. What do people thnk? Also thinking of Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

only nissan id be seen in is a skyline and a 350z which proves they can make decent cars, however the standard range cars are horrible soulless tat

Cyrus wrote:
    only nissan id be seen in is a skyline and a 350z which proves they can make decent cars, however the standard range cars are horrible soulless tat
    I'm looking for an ultra-reliable, relatively comfortable, largish car around 25k-27k. I thought a primera would fit the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Shamrok wrote:
    I'm looking for an ultra-reliable, relatively comfortable, largish car around 25k-27k. I thought a primera would fit the bill?

I would have thought so, I think the primera is a fine car and the specifications seem very good. If I am thinking of the right car: the one with a slightly pointy nose, and a big computer type console in the middle of the dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Shamrok wrote:

If you can up the budget slightly the Hyundai Sonata, or go for the old model, very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Shamrok wrote:
    does it have to be new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

imho Toyota Avensis is the better choice.
    Better reliability, safer car (5 stars on EuroNCAP, Primera only got 4 stars).
    Better resale value. Nicer looking car.

The only thing the primera has in it's favour is the colur reversing camera and iirc satnav. Nissan stupidly say that with the reversing camera you will "never look back". Extremely dangerous to reverse a car loooking at a screen on the dash :(
    Hello blindspots - goodbye pedestrian.

The Sonata probably has even more extras - but the resale value is poor.

causal

Cyrus wrote:
    does it have to be new?
    Well, I would only buy an 04 or 05 second hand tbh.

causal wrote:
    Thanks, appreciate the opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Its a very costly hire purchase scheme you pay extra for any milage over a set limit which is small and scratches dents are paid for by at nissian prices no arguments.Its just to get nisians number up they have fallen hugly in comparison with other manufacturers who have all incresed unit sales this year.they also trying to bring up market segment shares the micra has about 6% of its market the almera is same and the primera is about 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here ya go
    Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the new Nissan Double Take offer.

This offer was launched on April 11th and enables customers to purchase a new Nissan Micra, Almera or Primera now and exchange it free of charge for the equivalent 2006 model next year. This offer was originally due to end on June 30th but has now been extended until July 31st.

This offer is based on the full Recommended Retail price of the 2005 vehicle and in availing of the offer, customers benefit from the following:
    - An extended 4 year warranty
    - 2006 car at 2005 prices - by availing of the offer customers are protected from any potential future price increases.
    - Choice of driving two different colours
    - Reduction in maintenance costs
    - Specification upgrades, where applicable, will come at no extra charge
    - Better price for Trade-In now rather than next year
    - More valuable and younger car when changing in the future

There are some terms and conditions connected to this offer such a mileage limitation of 18,000km on the 2005 car, and a charge of 15c per litre above this. Also, the 2005 car must be comprehensively insured by the customer, and the customer is responsible for repairing any damage to the car during this time.
    This offer is being run throughout the Nissan Dealer Network and of our main dealers would be happy to discuss this offer further with you. I attach a list of Nissan dealers for your information.

Please do not hesitate to contact either myself or your local Nissan dealer for further information.

Kind regards,

Sarah Coleman

Sarah Coleman
    Marketing Communications Coordinator

NISSAN IRELAND
    Dublin 12
    Ireland
    Phone: +353 1 409 1119
    Fax: +353 1 409 1103

Thanks a mill, Unkel!

Specifing "Comp insurance" means they are'nt going to get too many takers even in these days of plenty. The 18,000 km limit won't be a problem for most potential buyers.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Surely most people buying new cars get comprehensively insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I looked into this when I was changing my Primera recently. Its a bit of a rip off really.

Basically it means that if buying with cash you get not discount i.e. you lose 2-3K discount.

If you have a trade in, you will only get the trade price for the car i.e 2 -3 K less than the "normal" trade in price.

jlang wrote:
    Surely most people buying new cars get comprehensively insured?

Maybe they do - would'nt know. Buying new is an alien concept.

Illogial Captian. :)

Mike.

causal wrote:

The only thing the primera has in it's favour is the colur reversing camera and iirc satnav. Nissan stupidly say that with the reversing camera you will "never look back". Extremely dangerous to reverse a car loooking at a screen on the dash :(
    Hello blindspots - goodbye pedestrian.

The Sonata probably has even more extras - but the resale value is poor.

causal

I can second that for the Avensis, way better car than the Primera, its the best selling car in that class here in Ireland last year. Yes it may not look or drive as good as some other cars but it is comfortable, reliable, safe and good value for money. These things are more important to me than looks. I have a current 1.8 model for just over 2 years now and have covered 54k miles without any problems. Equipment is good for this class also, things like dual zone climate control, 9 airbags, traction control, rain sensing wipers, "follow me home" headlights, folding electric mirrors, etc all standard on the 1.8 for €28k. Resale value is pretty good also, I was thinking of trading up a couple of months ago and my local dealer was looking for €6,500 with mine for a brand new one which I thought was a good deal.

I test drove the Primera and found it terrrible, the dash was a nice design but quality just wasn't there and that stereo/camera was very fiddley and the buttons were flimsy. Also found the car to be very light on the road and sluggish compared to the Avensis or Mazda 6. Primera depreciation is pretty steep also and one of the heaviest in its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    Maybe they do - would'nt know. Buying new is an alien concept.

Illogial Captian. :)

Mike.

Well without it there would beno second hand cars.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Well without it there would beno second hand cars.

Very true. :cool:

Advertisement