Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 'Double-Take' Offer...The Catch?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

podge3 wrote:
    Its a bit of a rip off really

Not necessarily
    podge3 wrote:
    Basically it means that if buying with cash you get not discount i.e. you lose 2-3K discount

True

It all depends (from an economic point of view) how often the buyer intended to change car again independent of the offer. If it is 1 year, he is getting a bargain as first year depreciation on a Primera would be at the very least €4k. If it is 2 years, then it's still pretty decent. If it's more, the concept loses attraction

Then there's the snobbery point of view, i.e. show off another brand new car yet again next year to the neighbours ;)

@Mike65: there's very little difference in premium generally (there are exceptions!) between TPF&T and fully comp. If your car is worth as little as say €5k it might make sense to go comp. Pretty much 100% of new cars would be comp I would guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

eg, you might win $10Mill in the lottery here, but nobody mentions that the taxman takes ~50% immediately

Erm, not true...you only pay tax on income earned from the interest (I think), but definitely not on the win itself. Not that I'd use it to buy a Micra/Almera/Primera, no matter how many you got for the price of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jlang wrote:
    Presumably you're buying a car in the second half of 2005 and they won't give you your 2006 car until the end of 2006 - both times when they need to get cars off the forecourts to get their numbers up. I can't see it working if they'll let you swap for your second car come January.
    Will it be a new (i.e. unused) 2006?
    mileage limitation of 18,000km on the 2005 car, and a charge of 15c per litre above this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

causal wrote:
    imho Toyota Avensis is the better choice.
    Better reliability, safer car (5 stars on EuroNCAP, Primera only got 4 stars).
    Better resale value. Nicer looking car.

The only thing the primera has in it's favour is the colur reversing camera and iirc satnav. Nissan stupidly say that with the reversing camera you will "never look back". Extremely dangerous to reverse a car loooking at a screen on the dash :(
    Hello blindspots - goodbye pedestrian.

The Sonata probably has even more extras - but the resale value is poor.

causal

you've obviously never drove one..with the camera in the primera you can see about 6 feet back...obviously you check your side mirrors 1st..even says it on the console screen..the avensis are horrible looking..was very disappointed with the new look..very pretentious..and they also have the same probs with the earlier primera (01/02) no camera and you can't see the boot..try counting all of the avensis with dents in their boots..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What about the BMW 1 series offer. Pay €350 deposit and then €350 per month for two years. You then give the car back to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

BrianD wrote:
    What about the BMW 1 series offer. Pay €350 deposit and then €350 per month for two years. You then give the car back to them.

Would that not make insurance a bit confusing because the garage would be the registered owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BrianD wrote:

Rent a car for €350 a month? no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Shamrok wrote:
    I'm looking for an ultra-reliable, relatively comfortable, largish car around 25k-27k. I thought a primera would fit the bill?
    It sure would, but wave bye-bye to €5K as you are driving a new model off the forecourt.

The Primera are ultra-reliable, but I went off them after Renault's re-styling.

I've driving one of the older models now and at the end of the year I'm going to spend the same amount of money you are talking about for a new Primera on a 3/4 year old Merc E200/E220 or Jag S-Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Rent a car for €350 a month? no thanks

Try renting a 1 series, or anything, anywhere, for €350 a month. Personal contract leasing is a very popular way of running a car in most European countries, it's a bit of a scam in that it almost guarantees a supply of well mantained 2-3 year old cars for the dealer but if you've got the cash and aren't bothered by 'ownership', it's useful enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Squirrel wrote:
    Would that not make insurance a bit confusing because the garage would be the registered owner?
    I don't think it matters once things are covered appropriately and the insurance company knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well technically when you lease a car the bank provideing the finance owns it. I'd imagine that there is some structure in place to accomodate this contract hire arrangement. It's common enough in the business world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Airblazer wrote:
    you've obviously never drove one..with the camera in the primera you can see about 6 feet back...obviously you check your side mirrors 1st..even says it on the console screen..
    Does it say to look out your side windows front and rear on both sides?
    Does it say to lean forward and back for each of the above to eliminate the blind spots from the pillars?
    I cited the reversing mirror as a positive aspect of the Primera. I did so because it eliminates the large blind spot caused by the rear of the car. But it should be used in addition to all of the other observations I mentioned above.
    I said Nissan were stupid for saying you will never look back - because it suggests poor observation.
    the avensis are horrible looking..was very disappointed with the new look..very pretentious..
    "Very pretentious" - a Toyota Avensis! - how so?

Anyway, looks are a matter of opinion, I prefer the look of the Avensis to the Primera, but neither are 'good looking'. In that class of car I'd suggest the Mazda 6 or Peugeot 407 if looks are you thing.

causal

causal wrote:
    Does it say to look out your side windows front and rear on both sides?
    Does it say to lean forward and back for each of the above to eliminate the blind spots from the pillars?
    I cited the reversing mirror as a positive aspect of the Primera. I did so because it eliminates the large blind spot caused by the rear of the car. But it should be used in addition to all of the other observations I mentioned above.
    I said Nissan were stupid for saying you will never look back - because it suggests poor observation.

Are you told to do any of that anytime you reverse in any other car, no, so it's doing more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Squirrel wrote:
    Are you told to do any of that anytime you reverse in any other car, no, so it's doing more than most.
    Even if that is the case, I think it's simply not good enough that a car manufacturer tells it's customers to check their side mirrors and then reverse the car while looking at a small screen on the dashboard.
    As I said already, the camera is a great addition to other observations, but it's no substitute for continually looking out the windows and at the mirrors while reversing.
    A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

causal

causal wrote:
    Even if that is the case, I think it's simply not good enough that a car manufacturer tells it's customers to check their side mirrors and then reverse the car while looking at a small screen on the dashboard.
    As I said already, the camera is a great addition to other observations, but it's no substitute for continually looking out the windows and at the mirrors while reversing.
    A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

causal

I'm agreeing with you, I'm just saying that no other system tells you to check mirrors, which isn't enough, but it's a start

Advertisement