Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a Smart Roadster.

Options
  • 13-07-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Just occoured to me, it seems like good value to import a Smart Roadster from the UK.

In Ireland, a '04 model is going for anywhere between 24000 and 28500 (there's only 2 on carzone)

In the UK, you can get a '04 for £9000 or about 13000 in real money, and there's a fair selection of them on autotrader. So off I go to revenue to calculate the VRT. Only it seems they have never heard of it! In fact the only Smart they have listed is a Smart Car, which was the original if memory serves. Damn revenue!

Anyway. Given that the VRT os 22.5% on a 0.7l car, and a ballpark figure of around 26k (average of the 2 cars on carzone) for OMSP, it works out at 5850.

13k + 5850 = 18850.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem with VRT on cars in this country is that it's caculated as a percentage of expected retail price. On bikes, it's charged per CC, so the roadster at 798cc would do really well. But given it's insane price tag, it'll still be cheapish, but for me, it just wasn't worth it (I was looking at it this morning). If money wasn't really an issue, twould be a great little car.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

Based on the Normal smart car, the VRT is €3140, but given the slightly larger engine in the roadster, and the higher market value, it would almost certainly be more.

It's a pity. If only the cars were reasonably priced, I'd say plenty of people would love the roadster or the roadster coupe.

[Edit:
    Just saw your finished post. You're right of course. The only problem now is getting it to Dublin. Will an insurance company in Ireland cover you to drive an English reg in England, or will you have to pay shipping costs? How much does it cost to ship a car? :)
    I'd say €18k would be worth it for an '04 if you can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

For cars outside the norm, you have to ring rosslare who will ring you back with a qoute in 2 days.
    But the vrt and currency exchange will soon start to really add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just got the end of that yes your irish insurance company will cover you.
    Even off your existing car, you can transfer it for a few days.

Advertisement