Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone played Cossacks?

• 24-07-2001 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Nice graphics, decent gameplay, but it's battle system, while better than most rts, is a little simplistic, no enfilidation bonus, unit morale, unit experience, and ships are way way too effective against land based targets, every ship barring one type outranges towers? I know its for gameplay reasons, but I don't see how towers couldn't be given cannon as large, powerful or long ranged as ships! The opposite would be true, land based guns would be more accurate and should have larger calibers.

Any other opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Hm, i have it myself, quite fun, the large amount of units you can have is nice when compared to the small unit limits of games like AOE and C&C. On the ship point Id agree with you, if only a few classes of ships could out range the towers it would be better. Maybe only Frigates and Battleships?

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I definitely agree on the amount and variation of units. The idea of mercinaries was excellent, for those who don't have the game, these are units bought with gold, with a low creation time but with reduced hit points and other parameters. But it allows all nations access to grenadiers, dragoons and esp sich cossacks, the fastest cavalry in the game.

I like the tactical depth with formations, which isn't in C&C and AOE, it allows you to actually form a decent defense and think about it, rather than grouping a rough assortment of units, with no access to special orders. Also the bonuses for formations and standing ground orders is an excellent idea.

Some of the campaigns are really tough though. Some of the missions in the ukraine and russian campaigns take ages to fully complete.

I'd love to see how it would shape un across a LAN though, that could get interesting, plus with an 8,000 unit limit, you won't reach a cap on units very quickly even with 8 players.

[This message has been edited by nesf (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Penos

I have the game but no matter what i do its really laggy!the gameplays deadly and its really really addictive!!!Good game apart from online!

YOU ARE NOT THE CONTENTS OF UR WALLET!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Drooled over the box, glad to hear it has some tactical merit. Its on my wish list right after the Shogun Total war add-on set.

Cossacks will be mine.....oh yes...it will be mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just to say got it to-day. Runs well on my low spec PC (266). Good tutorial, excellent intro and should be fun playing the game as soon as I can get my peasants to run away from the enemy and not stop & fight.

Regarding the ships, I have not reached that far in Cossacks, but I always thought historically naval units of that era were always more accurate than land fortifications (at least that's my reading from Patrick O'Brian Novels smile.gif ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

havnt played the game BUT...On the ship comments

(war fanatic here) During that time a navy would probably been one of the more important parts of the army only mean of transport etc etc, so it would seem reasonable that tey would be the most powerful ingame...

Before WW2 ships were used to show the imperial strength of armies etc. A Bttleship was like a national symbol of power.

*hence why britain got very P1ssed off when the hood got sunk in ww2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Quick query. From the web site a patch is available which improves the AI. Unf. it is ~ 40Megs. So any game-mags have this patch at the moment?

- NB Am in error, this refers to a demo. No patch available as yet.

[This message has been edited by Manach (edited 11-08-2001).]

Advertisement