Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viewing boards.ie on your mobile

• 13-07-2005 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭

I use the archive/pda view to view boards.ie on my mobile does anyone else use this?

Currently I bookmark the Forum i.e. Broadband
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/f-259.html
    and then view it on my mobile.

One problem I've been finding with this is that everytime I view this Forum its coming up with the first archive page and I have to navigate to the end of the last archive page to get to the newest threads. Does anyone have any other urls I could use besides just bookmarking the last page of a forum.

BTW my mobile is a Nokia 6600 using the standard browser

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

dam bro that must cost a bomb on the data charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Doesn't cost that much, for some reason 02 haven't every seemed to get their GPRS billing right. I have the data as one of my options on my bill and have only been charged once for going over my quota of 1 meg, I'd normally do about 5-10 meg a month, so their billing is a bit messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i remember i used to view it on my nokia 3510i (actually possible) and seeing as something was wrong with my phone i got wap for free
    for 2 years i got the internet on my phone for free
    spent over 55hrs on it and never got charged a cent in you fave vodafone
    but now have a nokia 6600 and getting charged a bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I used opera for smartphones for a while and browsed boards.ie in all its glory, and remarkably quickly thanks to their proxy accelerator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

have you tried to use the Mobile style/template? that's what i use to look in when out and about, you can set it using this link:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=40

may also be worth your while switching off sigs, avatars, images to cut down on KB usage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Hi all,

I'm going to be buying a new phone soon, one with internet access.

Is it possible to access boards.ie on your mobile?

Thanks

Barney

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yep, although I could never login on my k800i on 3pay. I know other people had the same problem. I presume it had something to do with the cookies. There is also a mobile style (the dropdown box at the bottom left hand side of your screen) that you can use. It strips out a lot of stuff to make it fit better for a mobile screen. Some things don't work in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Go to the feedback forum and fight the good fight to have a good proper theme! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

boards.ie has a very big home page (500kb or thereabouts) so if your paying by the kilobyte its gonna be pricey. Get the web browser opera mini (available for most smartphones nowadays). it downloads the site to their server, strips it down and then to your phone (boards homepage then about 40kb)... and still looks the exact same...

altho, like AlmightyCushion, I cant log in, just read whats there.. could be a phone problem (also sony ericsson, different model - p1i) or could be opera. i've always assumed its to do with the redirect page, but i may be proved wrong on that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

noblestee wrote: »
    altho, like AlmightyCushion, I cant log in, just read whats there.. could be a phone problem (also sony ericsson, different model - p1i) or could be opera. i've always assumed its to do with the redirect page, but i may be proved wrong on that

My problem was with the browser that comes with the phone. I always got to the redirect page but it wouldn't redirect. When I went to another page I wasn't logged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

My problem was with the browser that comes with the phone. I always got to the redirect page but it wouldn't redirect. When I went to another page I wasn't logged in.

that's your problem there. the built in browser can't handle boards. even if you can log in, it can't cope with the size of the pages. get opera mini

OP, as people have said, if you're not on a data package and you're paying by the kilobyte, don't browse boards on your phone unless you're a millionaire. and if you are a millionaire, you won't be for long unless you get a data package

that's your problem there. the built in browser can't handle boards. even if you can log in, it can't cope with the size of the pages. get opera mini

I have opera mini but I'm on three pay so it blocks third party applications so it's useless to me.

I have opera mini but I'm on three pay so it blocks third party applications so it's useless to me.
    this post was made using opera mini on a 3pay phone. They stopped blocking third party applications a few months ago but you have to call them 100 times to get them to update your account.

its definitely possible to use opera mini on 3pay so don't let them get away with telling you its not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

+1 for opera mini. I also had problems logging in as part of a post so I login seperately first and then post after.

this post was made using opera mini on a 3pay phone. They stopped blocking third party applications a few months ago but you have to call them 100 times to get them to update your account.

its definitely possible to use opera mini on 3pay so don't let them get away with telling you its not

I know, I remember reading when you and a few others managed to get third party apps working on your phone. I don't really need mobile broadband as much as I did during the summer so I really couldn't be arsed getting it sorted. Way too much time and effort involved. Hell, I still can't even use planet 3. I keep getting some communication error.

They stopped blocking third party applications a few months ago but you have to call them 100 times to get them to update your account.

ive been ringing asking about getting wayfinder navigator working, needs a net connection at all times. they passed me off to numerous depts but still no joy. when you say you need to ask for your account to be updated what exactly do i need to ask for?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭football man

i used my nokia n82 yesterday to post and send a PM so it can be done no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've used it with my N95 on 02's 3G network and it works fine for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I use it with my E65 on vodafone and it works a treat.

ive been ringing asking about getting wayfinder navigator working, needs a net connection at all times. they passed me off to numerous depts but still no joy. when you say you need to ask for your account to be updated what exactly do i need to ask for?

cheers

i don't know exactly what it was. i phoned them for about two months telling them the internet wasn't working properly because i knew people on boards had opera working and it wouldn't work for me. then i realised that it was just java apps that weren't working. i called them and the problem went away two days later. i don't know if telling them that solved the problem because they never got back to me but its the only thing i can think of, unless they just happened to get around to fixing my account after two months.

the only thing i can suggest is call them and ask them to remove all provisioning and re-add it.

when you go on the net with the regular browser, do you get a message telling you that its going to cost 49c per mb every time you load it?

• Advertisement

only with the crappy inbuilt browser. ive never seen it using opera mini. I do have to use the inbuilt browser the odd time as planet3 and my3 dont work with opera. in my case anyway.

only with the crappy inbuilt browser. ive never seen it using opera mini. I do have to use the inbuilt browser the odd time as planet3 and my3 dont work with opera. in my case anyway.

the fact that you're still getting that page means you're set up wrong. i was getting that page right up until it all started working. call them up and tell them you want your profile updated to get rid of that page.

if they tell you they don't know anything about it they're lying because i firmly believe i told every agent in the room about it. try to get it escalated to the second line team because someone there knows what they're doing since they fixed it for me.

be prepared to wait for days, maybe weeks and be prepared to make many calls until its sorted. also, take out your battery, put it back in and test it againg just before calling because its the first thing they'll tell you to do

Advertisement