Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie DNS update

Options
  • 13-07-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I've just changed a DNS record on a .ie domain. Just wondering how long does it take (approx) for the DNS record to be updated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The IE zone used to be reloaded twice a day, but I think it's more often now. So 12 hours at the outside. However it may take longer to propogate throughout the network.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

dahamsta wrote:
    The IE zone used to be reloaded twice a day, but I think it's more often now. So 12 hours at the outside. However it may take longer to propogate throughout the network.

adam
    Thanks Adam,

Just one more question, what do you mean by propogate throughout the network? and How long should that take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

daveyjoe wrote:
    Thanks Adam,

Just one more question, what do you mean by propogate throughout the network? and How long should that take?

To propogate means the time it takes for the nameservers all around the world to update themselves with the new nameservers you have switched to for your domain ,this takes 12 - 24 hours.

Yeah, did a bit og googling and found the answer.
    Here is a nice page that helps explain this (and some other things). http://www.xoc.net/works/jigsaw/internetbasics.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The zone is reloaded twice a day while the WHOIS data is updated once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

daveyjoe wrote:
    I've just changed a DNS record on a .ie domain. Just wondering how long does it take (approx) for the DNS record to be updated.
    Have you also updated the serial number of the zonefile?

Regards...jmcc

Nope didn't update the serial number (??) but the DNS server has been updated.

Advertisement