Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labradoodles

Options
  • 13-07-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of Irish Labradoodle breeders?

If you think I'm kidding with the name, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradoodle.htm

Tried IKC but no answer on phone.

Slumped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

it's certainly not a recognised IKC breed. funny looking thou. woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

The ray darcy show had a piece on this last year or so, maybe you could email the show and they might be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

copied from your other thread:

Don't know of any Labradoodles in Ireland (and wouldn't really be in favour of another breed that gets bred just to suit consumers' fashion whims)

How about a Labradollie ...plenty of them in Ireland, desperate for a new home.

Lotsa Colladors too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have to agree, there's enough labrador crosses ..crossed with all sorts in this country I can just see labradoodles all over the place in rescues in a couple of years if they do take hold.

The country is swimming in lab collie crosses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

I emailed the IKC and all they said is that it's not a recognised breed.

There was a recent article on www.guidedogs.ie about goldendoodles (same thing but poodles crossed with golden retrievers instead of labs).

I'm going to email them and see do they know any breeders.

Otherwise it's off to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Bloody designer dogs! :mad:

They're not even a breed. They are a F1 hybrid. If you mated 2 "labradoodles" you'd get all sorts of differents looking dogs.

Thatkindagirl, "of to the UK".....are you for real??? :eek:

Please take a trip to your local dog pound or rescue centre and I'm sure you'll come across plenty of cross-breeds if thats what you're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Labradoodles are all the rage here in the states. The concept is that they make good pets and they don't shed. First generation Labradoodles will shed; second generation Labradoodles won't. The thing is, the 'no-shedding' gene comes from the poodle parent. Poodles are hair breeds and they don't shed, ever. And right now you can get a Standard poodle cheaper than a labradoodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

OP here.

Actually ended up getting a good old lab from a sanctuary.

How anyone can desert such a lovely dog I don't know.

Absolute pet. Very tolerant and behaves so well.

Who needs a designer dog anyways!

Can't breed my own labradoodles as our fellow has had his bits off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`m glad its had a happy out come, perhaps the dog wasn`t deserted it may have been lost or the owner could have died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 doodles6

I actually bred the golden doodles mentioned in the posting. They are beautiful dogs and are not designer dogs bred on a whim but used as guide dogs for years in many countries. They are also to bred work with autistic children. they are non allergenic and low shed.

This year I am breeding labradoodles. They will be ready to go in August. Some are going again into the guide dog program but I will have a few available for sale to carefully vetted homes

My email is gallerym@eircom.net so if you want a doodle contact me directly. They are big dogs with coats that need care so will need a home with someone prepared to walk them a decent sized garden, local dog groomer and no children under 6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

If you want a low shed dog buy a poodle, why shell out a large wad of cash for what is essentially a mongrel?

I actually keep standard poodles myself I have two. I only got into breeding doodles because guide dogs asked me to
    The reason you might go for doodles is the coat is less maintenance. If they have a wool coat it is wavy usually and low shed. Poodles have to be groomed more frequently because the coat grows faster. They are also a bit less bouncy than the poodles and have a steadier temperament younger

The main reason though people seem to get them from me is they love my poodles but for some reason I do not understand most of the men in my acquaintance will not be seen walking a white fluffy poodle

I actually keep standard poodles myself I have two. I only got into breeding doodles because guide dogs asked me to
    The reason you might go for doodles is the coat is less maintenance. If they have a wool coat it is wavy usually and low shed. Poodles have to be groomed more frequently because the coat grows faster. They are also a bit less bouncy than the poodles and have a steadier temperament younger

The main reason though people seem to get them from me is they love my poodles but for some reason I do not understand most of the men in my acquaintance will not be seen walking a white fluffy poodle

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Having seen many mixed litters, I'm interested to know how easy/difficult it is to breed "uniform" labradoodles. I know the idea is to get the best of both breeds but what happens if you get the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have a looksee at this:

http://www.petdoc.ws/BreedPre.htm#L

This website lists possible breed-specific heredetary diseases on a breed by breed basis.

Guess which breeds have one of the longest lists?

Correct ...Labradors and Poodles.

Why on earth would you want to experiment by throwing together two of genetically most damaged breeds? Isn't it hard enough already to eradicate those diseases withtin a single breed? Why throw them together in an uncontrolled mix ..to see if you can create a new mutated "doodle" disease??

And don't tell me that all your possible parent animals on both sides have been extensively screened an monitored ...you just stick together any old Lab and one of your Poodles ...and out pops a "Doodle".

Ever thought of the idea that maybe, just maybe the guide dog people don't necessarily have the dog's best interest at heart in wanting to buy "Doodles"? Or that maybe, just maybe they know feck all about breeding dogs but quite a bit about training them?

I am not going to get into whether Guide Dogs know what they are doing or not. They breed all their own stock currently and do not buy in dogs to train up so it seems likely to me that they do.

Yes there are genetic diseases in poodles and yes my dogs have been screened for them.

I will just point out here that all breeds start somewhere and are bred for different reasons and uses.. At the start of the last century Dobermann Pinschers were bred from old German Shepherds ( a breed now extinct) and Pinschers. Jack Russels have been only recognised as a breed relatively recently. If you go back a hundred years to the dogs being shown then you would not recognise some of the breeds. There is a certain argument that breeding for show and exagerating certain traits has done damage to some breeds particularly terriers or for instance king Charles.

Yes if you want a guarantee of certain traits then go for a pedigree with a history or go to Australia or America if you want a doodle and buy one with a multi generation history (yes they have them) because they hope at some stage to get the breed recognised by the kennel club.

Advertisement