Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Mortgage Anyone

Options
  • 13-07-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

First Active is to offer first-time buyers a mortgage covering 100% of the value of a home.

First Active says customers may initially be required to fund items such as a booking fee or a deposit.

But, on closing the sale, the mortgage cheque drawn down will cover 100% of the value of a home.

Source : rte.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That's fantastic, about bloody time too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Martina

First Active offers 100% to first-time buyers

July 13, 2005 12:54

First Active is to offer first-time buyers a mortgage covering 100% of the value of a home.

The bank says that, based on a 92% mortgage, a first-time buyer would be left €20,000 short of the purchase price for a home valued at €245,000.

First Active's head of marketing Brendan O'Hora said many first-time buyers could afford to repay a mortgage on the full value of their home, but were unable to get a 100% mortgage.

First Active says customers may initially be required to fund items such as a booking fee or a deposit. But, on closing the sale, the mortgage cheque drawn down will cover 100% of the value of a home.

The lender says the 100% mortgage will be available across its suite of mortgage products.
    :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Not sure if that really is a good idea. Does that not just increase the house prices in the end meaning less people can afford houses? I'd like for the US fixed interst rates work. You borrow at one rate and that's it a better rate comes along you refinance and then have the new rate and you can stick with it. So if there is a low rate during you mortgage life you can get it and then stay with it.

Imagine never worring about intrest rates. :) THis would benifit all instead of causing more problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

finally some good news for those of us trying to get on the ladder.

can't wait to tell the g/f.

just waiting for the catch now. there's always a catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

It's not available for studio or 1 bed dwellings, but apart from that it's open to all FTB's only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

just dont get your hopes up to much people. UB doing the same but only applying it to professionals (accountants - doctors - etc.). if it is for all FTB then great but when you dont have a deposit they means test it (a certain % of your net take home pay). word of advice. get rid of any loans you may have now (mainly the ones you've taken out for holidays or that new telly). if youve a car loan with a couple of grand on it - get rid of it. they look at all your monthly outgoings which wouldnt be considered normal living expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Imho it's a very bad sign. 100% for any ftb?? Thats nuts. Indicates a drop in mortgage applications and resultant demand for ftb 'starter' homes. I wouldn't touch property in Ireland today with a 50foot pole. The market is so overheated it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I too agree that this isn't the best thing for homebuyers.
    Remeber, that extra 20K that's covered in the 100% mortgage is charged at the % rate of the mortgage you choose.
    ie. €20K @ x % over 25 years = a lot more than working your ass off and saving up the deposit like most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Bluehair wrote:
    Imho it's a very bad sign. 100% for any ftb?? Thats nuts. Indicates a drop in mortgage applications and resultant demand for ftb 'starter' homes. I wouldn't touch property in Ireland today with a 50foot pole. The market is so overheated it's scary.
    Agree 100%. They are now THROWING money at the overheated housing market. It is alright for those looking for a place to live for the rest of their lives / long-term and who are happy to buy a house that may soon be worth much less than what they paid for it...but those planning to buy now to 'step up' the ladder in a few years will be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

This is not going to help people just gonna put more in debt and also they will loose sight of saving etc...

The Property culture is gonna get a lot more expensive :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

on reflection you may well be right. there's always a sharp drop in prices after a property boom, and from what I understand, the bigger the boom the sdharper the drop off at the end of it. the problem is, that most FTB's are limited to buying in the €250-300K region, and the deposit neede for that is €20-30k, which just isn't reasonable for people who are just starting out to be able to find.

100% might not be the answer, but it's a step in the right direction, and will hopefully stimulate better deals from other lenders for FTB's looking for a mortgage.

then there's my mate who moved to thailand and built a 4 bedroomed house (to UK standards) on an acre of land on a beach, and paid for the whole lot on a 40k mortgage at 2%. not especially relevent i know, but it always makes me smile thinking of him out of the rat race!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Divers wrote:
    I too agree that this isn't the best thing for homebuyers.
    Remeber, that extra 20K that's covered in the 100% mortgage is charged at the % rate of the mortgage you choose.
    ie. €20K @ x % over 25 years = a lot more than working your ass off and saving up the deposit like most people do.

don't forget , its not just spend 2 years saving €20k , but its two years saving €20 while paying rent (which is someone elses mortgage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah just heard it on the radio this morning. Think its a great idea. I know some are saying FTB's will get in over their heads but lets give them some intelligence, at the end of the day they will work out what they can afford to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Danderous idea. We're already over-borrowing to terrifying degrees and this will only make things a lot wore.
    1.5 billlion borrowed p.m. will probably go to 2.5 billion borrowed p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Danderous idea. We're already over-borrowing to terrifying degrees and this will only make things a lot wore.
    1.5 billlion borrowed p.m. will probably go to 2.5 billion borrowed p.m.

Of course people will work out what they can afford but will they factor in an interest rate increase of 3%? or 5%? Will they remember to apply that increase to ALL their debts (car loan, personal loan etc) ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Bluehair wrote:

agreed. It won't be long now! 2 years. :eek:

jhegarty wrote:
    don't forget , its not just spend 2 years saving €20k , but its two years saving €20 while paying rent (which is someone elses mortgage)

Actually rent is payment for a service it doesn't really mater what your landlord does with the money he gets from the risk he is taking. ;)

Where did 2 years come into it?

I think more radical approach to housing needs to be made. The government seem to be parralised between the current homeowners, FTB and the building industry. The FTB are the easiest to ignore because they don't use/have political sway. You need something that doesn't devalue current owners, promotes building and provide affordable housing to FTB. I think the best way is to give incentives to retired people to move out to purpose built intergrated communities. This will get the property stock moving about and hopefully better utalised. THere are a lot of largish 3-5 bed houses near me with only 1 and 2 people living in them. A lot of these people could do with a cash bonus for pensions. The incentives could include a policy to sell to FTB or if too expensive a FTB has to be in the chain.

I really think this a plan that should be considered but I don't know how to get TDs behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

You need something that doesn't devalue current owners,
    Why? If something is overpriced why should we try to keep it that way?
    I think the best way is to give incentives to retired people to move out to purpose built intergrated communities. This will get the property stock moving about and hopefully better utalised. THere are a lot of largish 3-5 bed houses near me with only 1 and 2 people living in them.
    That makes no sense. First time buyers, i would imagine, predominantly don't have families (yet). They don't need a 3-5 bed place either. PLus moving people out of their communities is never a good plan imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

MorningStar is a landlord, it isn't very likely he will support anything that devalues his investment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I wouldn't touch property in Ireland today with a 50foot pole.
    Comments like this really irritate me. What do expect ftbs to do, live in a tent in their parents garden?

Weve been hearing that the property market is about to collapse for about 10 years now, and its never stopped growing in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I tbh would'nt touch it either, so I can buy a house 13 miles from my home town in newry and save a lot of money it is out of control and down to greedy investors and landlord scum, who put decent hard working people out on a limb as they accumilate to much property.

In a nutshell the country is F*cked and thank god i own my own house and I mean I have the deeds and not some evil greedy bank or building society

Imposter wrote:
    Why? If something is overpriced why should we try to keep it that way?
    BEcause if you devalue property prices nobody wins. People won't sell property, trade or built it. IN other words there would be no where for FTB to buy. A price crash does not help anybody except the rich who can afford to buy the cheap property. If you think FTB will be able to swoop in and get all the bargins I think it is unlikely. THe banks won't give them the money if they find a property and people will be too scared to buy. THe collapse of the property market will never be a good think and would have devastating results on all walks of life. Most importantly in the governments eyes the people it would effect the most have a lot of political power.

The view that property is overpriced is also quite relative. There is a lack of housing so supply is out striped by demand that means they aren't over priced in economic terms. Somepeople have been saying there is property bubble for the last 7-10 years. SO if there is a price drop where do you think it will go back 10 years, just 1?
    Imposter wrote:
    That makes no sense. First time buyers, i would imagine, predominantly don't have families (yet). They don't need a 3-5 bed place either. PLus moving people out of their communities is never a good plan imo.

What we are currently getting is a donnut effect where older areas are literally dying off. THere are no children for the schools or other services so they are closing down while further out there are no schools. FTB might not all actually have children but they are more likely than a retired couple :)
    The houses that are too big etc... would need to have a FTB involved in a chain to get incentive (making FTB a sought after commodity) . Currently people who want to upsize ca't due to tha lack of housing stock and price by inclusing a FTB in the deal they get the smaller house. THe concern of the communities is a valid point but the idea is that the newly built houses are intergrated communities where there is housing for elderly to young alike to increase community bonds. THe older areas will also get a mix as not all would take the incentive deal. THere would have to be a few rules to prevent abuse and make sure the desired effect happens but the ideas is to use services currently there and create services that we will need in the future.The whole of Ireland is getting older we need retirement facilities to be built
    The current housing stock is under used we need to change that along with building new houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 goingmental

I have to say in all honesty, that i was more than a little excited when i heard about the 100% mortgage,,

To be a first time buyer in dublin is a nightmare,, i am on an ok wage(just about livable on !!) and have a loan which i am paying off every month,, on top of that there is rent, i dont have the luxury of living at home and saving rent money every month.
    This means that i dont have the option to save for a deposit, am trying to get my loan down so that i can be considered for this 100% so i running in circles..
    the one year fixed rate with firstactive seems ok, and then there is always the option of changing your mortgage to another bank once you are in the postion to do so,, (cost of legal fees etc)

so on one hand it is a step in the right direction for us poor wannabe homeowners,,,,,>

ionapaul wrote:
    MorningStar is a landlord, it isn't very likely he will support anything that devalues his investment!
    True but it doesn't mean I want FTB screwed either. In the time my family have a had property we have left the rent as is as we knew they were saving to buy. We have tenants for years who will never own property, without landlords these people would be on the streets. The whole social welfare system would stop without landlords they provide a vital service. There is actually a need for more landlords willing to deal with the different types of tenants.
    woody wrote:
    I tbh would'nt touch it either, so I can buy a house 13 miles from my home town in newry and save a lot of money it is out of control and down to greedy investors and landlord scum, who put decent hard working people out on a limb as they accumilate to much property.

Yet you want to get a property at below market value even thought many of landlords paid 54% tax on their income and 19% mortgages. You haven't worked hard compared to that yet you want FTB to pay less than them what's so decent about that? It is a simplistic approach to just make FTB able to buy cheaper or borrow more and an overall move should be made to maybe help more than one issue in the housing market and socail issues IMHO.
    Try thinking about the whole picture and not just assume facts about investors and landlords. You aren't exactly giving a show of knowledge there.

As a homeowner would it bother you if house prices fell so FTB could buy property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

woody wrote:

A bit much that. I have an investment property with tennants living in it. It was my first property and I borrowed up to my arse to get it and saved. I invested in something for the future (don't have a pension) and I'm now a "landlord scum". These "decent hard working people" you talk about can be landlords aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

BEcause if you devalue property prices nobody wins. People won't sell property, trade or built it. IN other words there would be no where for FTB to buy. A price crash does not help anybody except the rich who can afford to buy the cheap property.
    So which is it? If there is property for sale why do you think the rich would buy if the market is on a downturn? I reckon first time buyers would be more likely to buy while the market was falling rather than rich people, who I assume would be more intelligent regarding investments, especially considering for a ftb it is a place to live rather than just an investment.
    If you think FTB will be able to swoop in and get all the bargins I think it is unlikely. THe banks won't give them the money if they find a property and people will be too scared to buy. THe collapse of the property market will never be a good think and would have devastating results on all walks of life. Most importantly in the governments eyes the people it would effect the most have a lot of political power.
    Please explain the bold bit, I don't understand! Who will it affect and what type of devastating result? That government mumbo jumbo means nothing. Most people 'in power' have kids who want to buy a house etc. It affects everyone equally apart from the few who are very rich and are nowhere near numerous enough to keep the government in power, should this become a serious election issue.

As for the banks not loaning them money then I think you are wrong again. The banks will first cut off funding to investors as they will have reduced returns on their investments. Both groups could end up with negatuive equity, but as mentioned already a ftb actually has somewhere to live, whereas an investor has a very risky investment.
    The view that property is overpriced is also quite relative. There is a lack of housing so supply is out striped by demand that means they aren't over priced in economic terms. Somepeople have been saying there is property bubble for the last 7-10 years. SO if there is a price drop where do you think it will go back 10 years, just 1?
    Sure that is only my opinion but the supply is fast catchnig up on the demand. Surely there ain't an unlimited demand?
    Currently people who want to upsize ca't due to tha lack of housing stock and price by inclusing a FTB in the deal they get the smaller house.
    This situation only exists because of the mania surrounding 'getting on the ladder'. For the vast majority that is their own fault as they should have thought about what they wanted in a house first time round. If it was left to the small percentage that have had a large change in their financial circumstances, this 'stepping-up' market would be irrelevant.
    The current housing stock is under used we need to change that along with building new houses
    Again that's a problem for those that bought the houses and noone else. If elderly people wish to cash in on their assets then they can, but trying to force them would be wrong, as would propping up a market that exists largely because of peoples inbuilt greed. Not that that has ever stopped governments before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

CiaranC wrote:
    Comments like this really irritate me. What do expect ftbs to do, live in a tent in their parents garden?

Weve been hearing that the property market is about to collapse for about 10 years now, and its never stopped growing in that time.

there has been a hugh transfer of wealth from the young to the old who own all the property. i expect the parents to consider selling their house and trading down as the kids move out in order to transfer them back the money in the form of significant deposits for their houses. many are doing this as we speak.

bear in mind a fine period house in ranelagh has gone from 120000 irish pounds in 1990 to 4 million euros 15 years later. a house on shrewsbury and ailsebury road have gone up from 150000 to around 10-15 million euros now.

of course period houses in nice areas with long back gardens are very scarce but there is no doubting the shift of wealth, and i dont think property will decline, if u need a house try everything to secure one before it rises another 15-20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

This is turning into a more interesting thread than I thought it might. :)

Re: the '50foot pole' comment of mine who precisely wrote the rule that stated you must purchase where you live?? There is plenty of rental property available with the various advantages that brings (yes advantages, people get too excited in this country with the notion they are 'paying someone elses mortgage')

I know of no-one in the last few years who has managed to buy either on their own or without some form of fraud involved (that includeds raising your deposit through the credit union since the bank won't know).

For what it's worth I bought a house 6 years ago which had already almost doubled in value the previous 18 months. I was convinced I'd missed the boom but really liked both the property and the location (seemingly irrelivant factors today) so went ahead with it. It's tripled in value since and I've just sold. I'm renting now and forsee renting for a few years until buying again or emmigrating. I'm very relieved to be out with a profit.

I'll happily go into more detail later but the simple fact is far too many things have to go just right for the market here to continue rising; interest rates, economy (which itself relies on construction), ftbs, net inflow of migrants, world economy etc. etc... Just one problem and the whole deck of cards can come down.

I laugh at the notion that ftb would save a falling property market since houses would become more affordable :rolleyes: , think about it for a minute. You're a ftb, the house you want but couldn't afford at 300k came down in the first 3 months of the year to 280k, 3 months later its 265k, 4 or 5 months later you're told they will take 255k. Would you buy the now 'affordable' house or wait and see how much more it comes down? A falling market falls for a long time because everyone plays the waiting game, look at Japan for an example.

I'm already seeing anecdotale evidence of the above happening, with a friend in Donabate getting 275k for selling his house when next door sold for 285k last year. I'm also hearing complaints from people that their apartment/starter home 'hasn't gone up in value since last year'. As far as I'm concerned the fall is already on our doorstep and measures like 100% mortgages for ftb and no stamp-duty for ftb on second-hand homes are attempting to hold off the inevitable.

But like every market there's always plenty of suckers left until the very end. Don't be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

The technical term for this is disaster myopia, given the availability of other lines of credit on higher rates of interest this really is reckless trading by the financial institutions involved.

My advice is take your money off deposit in Ireland stick it into dollar accounts in Ecuador at least that way you will get 7% on your deposits before they collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Everyone here seems to know when the property price crash is coming , if you wouldn’t mind could let give me the exact date of that, so I will be sure to buy now and sell up a week before it….

I presume no one in this country was predicting a crash 2 or 3 years ago…..

Advertisement