Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth - Ghost reveries, 30/8/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The full-time keyboard player. John, where have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

He's full time? I knew they got one for the last album but I remember he only played like one gig with them. Well that clears that one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Think you've your Martin's mixed up!

Oops. You're right :p

I meant Martin Mendez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Anyword of an irish gig???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

dabhoys wrote:
    Anyword of an irish gig???

Just one word so far: No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Well poop that, just had a listen to the album. Enjoying it all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

they ripped off Tool!

I likes the album though. Not as much as others. But sure it should growon me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

you still havnt explained how they ripped off tool.

ok now im pissed they amnnounced a load more european dates in november and december and is there an irish date? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

first track on the album about a minute in, a tool riff. cant remember which song though

evad_lhorg wrote:
    you still havnt explained how they ripped off tool.

There is a riff on Ghosts Of Perdition which is hugely reminiscent of a riff on The Grudge, to the extent where you think to yourself "Hey that's a Tool riff!"

• Advertisement

http://www.roadrun.com/shared/downloads/Opeth/grand_conjuration_hi.mov

Behold, the video for The Grand Conjuration which, I believe, has the mighty Gene Hoglan filling in on drums. 41mb, so broadband only :)

Suits you sir :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Listening to the album now, seems allright from my quick playing of it but I rarely like an album first listen for soem reason.

you going if they get confirmed?

Le Rack wrote:

Well I was foolish and missed them last time and thats a huge regret, I'd prefer not to miss them again tbh but any number of things could pop in.

Call it a definate maybe. :)

This album is growing on me a little. I quite like it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

after many listens I have decided that this is yet another great opeth album and deserves much praise. 9/10

ripping off tool - nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Le Rack wrote:
    confirmed for where???? ireland? please say ireland.. o and the albums alright... haha nothin beats blackwater park imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doctor J wrote:
    http://www.roadrun.com/shared/downloads/Opeth/grand_conjuration_hi.mov

Behold, the video for The Grand Conjuration which, I believe, has the mighty Gene Hoglan filling in on drums. 41mb, so broadband only :)

Thanks Doc, downloading it now!

I have to say, I really love the new Opeth album. Sounds really fresh altogether, if you know what I mean. Deliverance really sounded very stale, it sounded like they were just going through the numbers, whereas Ghost Reveries seems to have really added to the sound altogether.

Steoob wrote:
    confirmed for where???? ireland? please say ireland.. o and the albums alright... haha nothin beats blackwater park imo
    yeah, they're playing Brummie (Birmingham) on September 13th, and tickets are around £12 or £13 I think, and there was talk of them coming over here while they're at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Le Rack wrote:
    yeah, they're playing Brummie (Birmingham) on September 13th, and tickets are around £12 or £13 I think, and there was talk of them coming over here while they're at it!
    oooooo me excited :-)

Just so yous know. Opeth will not be playing here in 2005 anyway. I emailed their management and got that as a reply.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Just so yous know. Opeth will not be playing here in 2005 anyway. I emailed their management and got that as a reply.

Ah, feck it. Hopefully 2006 though.

cant beleive they cut the song from 13minutes to 5. thats madness.

so what are peoples views on the album?

I have been listening to it since the day it leaked. I love it tbh.

I've been listening to it steadily since I got it. Definetly Opeth's best since Blackwater Park.

It's wierd though, in an album that isn't produced by Steven Wilson there are some really Porcupine Tree-sounding bits, like Atonement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RazorbladePenis

Hi all, im new but im a huge Opeth fan and I personally think Ghost Reveries is Opeth's weakest album to date.

That however does not mean its a bad album, but when you compare it to Opeth's back catalog it sadly come's in, in last place. Im not a fan of the new keyboard player and although people think that signing to Roadrunner Records will push Opeth more into the mainstream, they were all ready heading in that direction regardless and rightly so.

No other band deserves success more that Opeth, but id like to see a return to Morning Rise or My Arms Your Hearse, or even the briefly mentioned Black Metal concept album we heard about on the Lamentations DVD.

As for the person who mentioned they stole a riff from a Tool song! I think if Opeth HAD to steal a riff from somebody they'd probably steal it from a talented band, Tool is nothing more than an over hyped drummer that has carried the band from day one. (My opinion)

And lastly as for Opeth playing in Ireland this year it may still be a possibility as they have 1 week free at the end of their U.K. Tour before they hit mainland Europe as well as several days off between shows in the U.K.

As far as im aware Emerald Promotions are trying to book them for late November.

Also on that point you people sound like you have never seen Opeth before? They have played here twice in three year's, where were you for that?

And here is a video I found on radio miotal of Opeth playing in Manchester last week, Mikael briefly talks about playing in Ireland before he plays the next song http://www.miotal.com/videos_050907.php

Sorry if this is one hell of a rant, but what can I say, I like Opeth.

I don't see how you could consider Ghost Reveries worse than Deliverence, but it's hardly a point to argue. I wouldn't like to see Opeth retread what they've already done, I think they've done that sort of thing with Deliverence already, which was nothing more than Opeth by the numbers. However, the Black Metal album they've been whispering about could be astounding. With all the ****ty Darkthrone clones around, and the most creative bands of the genre having broken up (Emperor for example), Black Metal really needs a kick in the hole and something fresh.

I don't think Opeth "Stole" anything, with concerns to the Tool riff. As a guitarist, it often happens that I'd come up with something cool only to find it's another band's riff. I'd speculate this might've easily happened to Opeth, and that nothing was intentionally stolen.

And indeed, I have seen Opeth both times they played Dublin, and the gig in the Shelter was probably one of the bets gigs I've ever been to in my life, but you'd hardly hold it against anyone to want more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

saw opeth at a festival in europe and they were f~cking great, they only played for an hour though which was real disappointing (they kept mentioning the date date they were playing the city(budapest) on their own).take it their irish gigs were longer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RazorbladePenis

When they played in the shelter with Katatonia they played for almost an hour and a half I think.

Then when they played in Whelans with Madder Mortem it was closer to the 2 hour mark.

A live bootleg of a recent live show in the U.K. clocked them in at 2 hours and 10 minutes. So they are playing longer sets as they progress.

Advertisement