Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle visible... just

Options
  • 13-07-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hi,

shanemcd pointed out on the irishastronomy.org board that the shuttle is visible tonight near the Moon and Jupiter at around 22:41pm local time.

It will be very low down from Dublin, with Kerry getting the best view it seems. As always check out www.heavens-above.com for details/times/maps.

Tomorrow night also. But the photo op is tonight :-)

Cheers,
    ~Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Sorry to post a stupid question but I know nothing about astronomy - I was just curious to know if this will be visible with the naked eye ?
    Or will optical equipment be needed ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It should be visible with the naked eye. It will reflect the sunlight towards you, so may only be visible for a short time. It will be like a bright moving object, but not flashing, like a plane would be. The International Space Station (ISS) will also be visible again tonight, for the last time for a while. It should be visible around 10:25pm, depending on your location. Check out www.heavens-above.com to give you a precise time for your location. Even if you don't manage to see the shuttle, you could see the ISS.

I just heard on the radio: The launch has been cancelled due to technical reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

yea, it was looking like the weather might scupper it but according to nasa:
    --
    Discovery Launch Delayed

NASA managers scrubbed the launch of Discovery today due to an apparent problem with the spacecraft.
    --

no details

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Hmm, I was sitting on my roof the other night (I live in the attic) at around 11pm and I saw two objects moving. One got brighter then dimmer as it moved before disapearing. Is it common to see satelites and stuff whizzing past? I wouldn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

Flukey wrote:
    I just heard on the radio: The launch has been cancelled due to technical reasons.

shuttles days are numbered they are maintained really well but is it realy possible with todays materials to put craft through the stresses or re entry over and over again. i will have a affect on the super structure no matter how well monitered and repaired. in my opinion it has too big an area exposed to re entry anyway.

Cregser, at this time of the year, because the sun is not that far below the horizon, you will see lots of satellites passing overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

in kerry seen the light last night was wondering wat it was.thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Brendygg wrote:
    in kerry seen the light last night was wondering wat it was.thanks for the info
    Eh, doubt it. The flight was cancelled :p

I think he is referring to the ISS or some other satellites. The ISS is now gone from our skies for a while, but it will return for another stint, towards September.

• Advertisement
Advertisement