Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On How To Decide On New Forums (Split from Islam Forum)

Options
  • 13-07-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

Simple, instead of yakking on about the pros and cons of an Islam Forum just have a freaking vote.
    Voting about something like this could lead people to believe that the vote would be listened to, or that boards.ie is some sort of democracy. That would just lead to unhappiness.

We just each say our bit and the admins may choose to act on it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

the idea of a poll was to show the level of interest in an islam forum or if people would object to one. if a lot of people dont see the point, then they could sayso in a poll and then voice there thoughts in the forum. im just looking for some kind of concensus before we have forums on every wild eyed crazy ass religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

every wild eyed crazy ass teligion.

such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

im just looking for some kind of concensus
    We don't need concensus. We need a few people that would make use of the forum and would behave in a manner that would not cause issues on boards.ie as a whole.

The "no" voting option is useless, because if you have an objection to a board then you'd better actually explain it. It doesn't hurt me that there is a Television forum despite my lack of interest in television, I just don't bother with it. If someone could think of an actual reason why there shouldn't be an Islam forum then that would be different, but they won't explain that reason by ticking a box.

fear and prejudice they're pretty good reasons.

by wild eyed religions i meant the ones that involve ritual suicide and the violation of poultry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

No, that's a particulary bad reason. All the religions already catered for by boards are subject to fear and prejudice, as are other communities we cater for (people with disabilities, the Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual community or to a certain extent even the gamer nerd community that created boards.ie).
    by wild eyed religions i meant the ones that involve ritual suicide
    Define ritual suicide.
    Small religious movements that engage in mass suicides frankly aren't that likely to ask for a board where they can discuss the best mix of cyanide to Kool-Aid*.

Harakiri and Jigai remain a part of Shinto, but its followers can generally be allowed sharp utensils safely. It's said that Robert Cochrane's death may have been ritual suicide, but I know some Clan of Tubal Cain and 1734 Tradition people, and none of them have topped themselves recently.

I think it's safe to say we aren't going to trigger a wave of copycat suicides by setting up a new forum.
    and the violation of poultry.
    Can't think of any that violate poultry, though I know of a few that kill them, but that ends up on the table afterwards, and we already have a Food / Drink board where doing things with dead chickens is already discussed.

*Yes, I know it wasn't actually Kool-Aid but a cheap knock-off. Frankly its disturbing how often people point that out if you mention the Jonestown massacre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's a good reason against having a poll, if people are voting against something because of those reasons, it's better that they have to explain themselves and give everyone the chance to discount their views.

ok so my attempt at further trivialising this already trivial discussion is failing. who'd a thunk it! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Give the people a forum to discuss their religion, may aswell you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

the idea of a poll was to show the level of interest in an islam forum or if people would object to one. if a lot of people dont see the point, then they could sayso in a poll and then voice there thoughts in the forum. im just looking for some kind of concensus before we have forums on every wild eyed crazy ass religion.

There's already a Christianity one and a pagan one. An Islam one, and a Juadism one, would seem to be indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

by wild eyed religions i meant the ones that involve ritual suicide and the violation of poultry.

As opposed to one advocating cannabalism yea?

As mentioned the no vote would be useless. Just because you don't like a particular forum doesn't mean you have to visit/read it. If you had a no vote as you said the likes of RPG and Big Brother forums would of never come to pass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement