Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im moving to Cork n need help!

• 13-07-2005 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Ok me n my mate r planning to move to cork straight after the lc. I know its 11months away but we (wel me im d organising freak) wana start tryna organise sum stuf.

We need sum advice......
    Where wud b best to live?
    What time of accomd wud we b best lukin 4?
    How much wud we wanna have saved?
    Wud it b too much trouble to bring a car?
    Wud it b best findin 2 other ppl and renting a house 2gether?
    Is cork really a great place to live?

And pretty much ne advice u have.........

Thanks alot.........JWACQUI :p

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll save the smart answers this time...

Jwacqui wrote:
    Where wud b best to live?
    What time of accomd wud we b best lukin 4?
    How much wud we wanna have saved?
    None of these can be answered effectively without an idea of your budget and what you think you're looking for.

Wud it b too much trouble to bring a car?
    Depends where you'll be living and what you'll be doing.

Wud it b best findin 2 other ppl and renting a house 2gether?
    Depends on the answers to the last two questions.

Is cork really a great place to live?
    Yes.

Don't reply to my post with font colours please, they screw up my replies. And I hate them.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi there - firstly YES - Cork is a fantastic place to live. Secondly, not sure of correct etiquette as I'm only new to this Boards thing - but there is an accommodation website - www.daft.ie - you can get an idea on what kind of property is out there i.e. sharing with others, renting a house with a group, on your own etc. and more importantly prices - so hope that helps. J

Concur with Judes, DAFT is very good. Found the gaff I'm in through it, and the last one.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

cork is cool to live but at end of days as with everywhere its only as good as u make it. 2 people sharing a flat will cost about 90 a week each while 4 sharing a house is about 50 each. - varies though. Look for a job b4 u go easy enough to come by but handier then coming down broke and starving till 1st chq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Ok we're gna be goin to college there hopefully so the city.
    Im gona have about 2,000e saved mayb a lil less.
    We wer hoping abt 50e a week we wanted a house to share, we wer gna find 2 other ppl n luk 4 house to rent dat wud mean 800e a month btween 4.
    And by den im gna b sharin my mams car but she mite giv it 2 me wen i move (her words) but wud it b worth my while takin it?

Im so excited exept dat my ex lives there but watever as long as i dnt live near him, and il deff make my own fun.

I LOVE the cork accent!

Cork men r d best!!

• Advertisement

Jwacqui wrote:
    Ok we're gna be goin to college there hopefully so the city.
    There's loads around the college, but you'd want to get your skates on, it'll be August in another couple weeks. Try daft.ie, and ask around UCC forums while you're at it. (There's one on Boards but it's pretty quiet. Could be just the time of year though.)
    And by den im gna b sharin my mams car but she mite giv it 2 me wen i move (her words) but wud it b worth my while takin it?
    I doubt it, particularly if you get a place near the college. UCC is ten minutes walk from the city center, so the only reason you'd need a car is to go home at weekends.
    Im so excited exept dat my ex lives there but watever as long as i dnt live near him
    I absolutely guarantee you'll bump into your ex at some stage. Cork may be the second city (mutter, lies, grumble, deceit) but it's still a town at heart; everybody bumps into everybody else at some stage.
    Cork men r d best!!
    You got that right sister.

(Thanks for turning off the colour btw. Now do me another and quit with the txt spk unless you're actually using a phone to browse here. K TNX.)

adam

Okay sorry, no more text talk. I so don't want to bump into him, he already thinks I'm moving there to see him, fool.
    And I have eleven months, I'm talking about 2006 (I know I'm crazy)!!

Cork men rock and the accent has to be the best thing ever, i get so excited when i hear it I'm like oh my god you're from Cork!!! but then they get a bit scared lol.

Jwacqui

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since your going to college, go to the college's Student union, and they will be able to supply you with a list of (cheap) house's that you can move into.

Then, go looking straight after the LC for a house with the list.

Oh, and you'll need double whatever you thnk you'll need, for drink, social things, drink, food, drink, college items, and drink.

Remember: this is college, away from home, etc.

Finally: to hell with daft.ie cos most student landlords will take on two of ye, ye find 2 more students, and then your sorted, rather then getting a house, and getting two people who work, and may not want to party till 3am some weekday!

You're what, 16 or 17? Unless he's your first true love (ewww), you won't give a toss about your ex in a year. Forget about it.

I don't get the Cork accent fetish tbh. I hate hearing it on the radio, or abroad, it sounds right culshie. And on the radio they always seem to interview the person with the worst Cork accent in the world. Where do they find these people?

(I was once in Radio Cork for an interview about the net and got told the next day I had a posh Cork accent, a bit Montenotte / Cork Con. Still bugs that crap out of me, that. Radio Cork shut down the next day too. I claim full responsibility.)
    the_syco wrote:
    Oh, and you'll need double whatever you thnk you'll need, for drink, social things, drink, food, drink, college items, and drink.
    :)

adam

Ah you could say first true love yeah, I havn't seen him in about...16months I think. And Im 17 a week from today. My ex goes to CIT, he used to go to UCC. He was from near Clonakilty so that kind of accent, i think its so hot. I don't get the fetish myself but it just gets me going lol.

And that two grand I have saved will probaly be my drink fund anyway lol.

Jwacqui

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

There is so much student accomodation available due to UCC and CIT building their own. You should have no problem getting two bedrooms in a house from anywhere from Barrack st to Bishopstown.
    Rent would be from 55 - 70 a week (closer to 55). drinks are cheaper than in dublin (5.20 for a pint of Carlsberg in Q-bar, whats that about?) but not by much.
    Cork is a very small city and you will bump into everybody all of the time. But thats nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

The cheapest rent that i've heard of someone paying(other then one group of people i know but the house was all but falling down) was €67.50 a week and that was almost out by tesco Wilton (Not a nice walk in the morning especially when it rains). I'd be expecting to pay €70 a week minimum if i was you. On the plus as solice said you won't have a problem finding a place and drink is a lot cheaper then it is in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Jwacqui wrote:
    Cork men rock and the accent has to be the best thing ever, i get so excited when i hear it
    ^
    Chalk it down girl!! :D

Here's a link to probably the most popular web forum in Cork City, at the moment there are 183 people/folk/langers/whatever online in the forum (mighty impressive sum) talkin a whole load of tom-foolary & shananigans, i'm sure if you start off a thread similar to this you would get a greater response than what boards can offer. (*Not that the previous advise was poor or anything, far from it*)

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/

You'd get a decent response also if you query about employment agencys in the forum

^
    Chalk it down girl!! :D

Here's a link to probably the most popular web forum in Cork City, at the moment there are 183 people/folk/langers/whatever online in the forum (mighty impressive sum) talkin a whole load of tom-foolary & shananigans, i'm sure if you start off a thread similar to this you would get a greater response than what boards can offer. (*Not not the previous advise was poor or anything, far from it*)

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/

You'd get a decent response also if you query about employment agencys in the forum

Ehh, can i retract that last statement.....
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?t=46026

Yeah, you get some real classy conversations on proc:

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?t=46129

To quote one of the obvious intellectuals there:

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showpost.php?p=547288&postcount=4

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Its pure classic alright, those forums aren't for the easily offended, you have been warned/enticed!

Pure crap more like. But at least it keeps the Star readers segregated from genpop.

adam

I may have something sorted.
    My dad said he might buy a house in cork and he'll give like 200-300 off the mortgage a month and we can split whats remaining between us.
    So...(a) cheaper rent
    ...(b) my parents will feel I'm safe, and
    ...(c) I don't have to worry about a place to live while I'm in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

im seeing a future venue for boards beers... me ma always told me I was psychic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea totally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Apologies for not been around (still back reading posts after hols)
    Quick note: Colleges all over Ireland are trying to get students outta rented houses into purpose built apartments for secuirty and all that. Try the accomadation officer in the college (every college has one). May have a friend in the office and il see what she says.
    Car is not a necessity especially with the price of petrol at the moment.If you near the City its a defo no no. I live near the city centre and try to drive as little as possible as you dont know what street is open from week to week : see other posts here.

Nukem

Advertisement