Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uh oh...

Options
  • 13-07-2005 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I have my full test tomorrow and I cleaned my car for the first time and all that. I just went to fill the windscreen fluid tank and noticed that the cap wasn't there on the funnel! Do you think this will be a problem? Where can I get a new one for a 96 Nissan Micra L by tomorrow if I need it?

I also checked my fog lights... and only the right one was working, I also noticed I have only one reverse on which is in the position of the left fog light with a white lens rather than red. I went to the garage to get a new bulb (reverse light was working by the way) and was told that my car only has one reverse and one fog light and this is normal. That's all ok yeah?

I have to get used to the side mirror/indicate/side mirror/turn routine, I do look in the side mirror but not before indicating usually :(

Keep an eye out for my L plates in the for sale forum if I pass, I bought them new today, I had old ones, but they aren't the best :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Funny thing here, it's all to do with the law. You could actually pass your test if you didn't have wing mirrors on the car. The only stipulation is that you have a rear-view mirror. Don't know about using the side mirror, my understanding is that you only have to use the rear view mirror. i.e. mirror, indicate, mirror, move

I don't think the water filler cap or the fog light is going to make a difference as this aren't specific as compulsory for the test (unlike L plates).

Anyhow, best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

cormie wrote:
    I
    I also checked my fog lights... and only the right one was working, I also noticed I have only one reverse on which is in the position of the left fog light with a white lens rather than red. I went to the garage to get a new bulb (reverse light was working by the way) and was told that my car only has one reverse and one fog light and this is normal. That's all ok yeah?

Yes - thats a fairly common set up

Good luck

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cormie wrote:
    was told that my car only has one reverse and one fog light and this is normal. That's all ok yeah?

One reverse light is normal. I've never heard about one fog light though - I don't think that was right. Anyway afaik front fogs are not part of the NCT

nissan%20micra.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Single rear fog lights are very common, in fact I can't think of a car with 2 rear foglights. As for the single reverse light, also very common, although on Japanese imported Hondas they'll have 2 reverse lights and no rear fogs, where as Hondas sold in Ireland from Irish dealers, will have holes cut into bumpers for the fog lights on the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    Thanks for the good wishes. It's actually my full driving test I have, not the NCT. They check all that before you go out so I don't want to be turned away for a missing cap, do you think it's ok without the cap so?

• Advertisement

Any bottles/containers around the house that might have a cap to fit ?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't the amount of clutter in our house but I guarantee there is every size but that :rolleyes: As long as I'm not told I can't take my test because of it I'll be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Could you not "borrow" one off a friend or relative?

I was thinking that yeah. Sure we'll see how it goes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Unless things have changed, I admit i did my test 20 yrs ago, the tester would actually only notice if the car was actually on fire when he got into it.

Though maybe things have changed, but on my test the guy just got into the car and probably only noticed things any other passenger would notice.

Good luck with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I brought my sister-in-law for her test 6 months ago and the tester made her turn on and test all exterior appliances to check for operation, i.e. lights, wipers etc.

He checked that the tax and insurance and NCT discs were current and correctly displayed and that the L plates met the standards - red L on a plain White background that is NO Driving School Logo's permitted on the plate.

Also that the number plate was to spec.

Tyres were also inspected.

He didn't open the bonnet to check bottle caps or anything like that.

I saw one poor girl in floods as her - well battered - '90 Micra was deemed unsuitable because of poor tyres and an out of date tax disc !!!

Good Luck !

Zen

Edit: Also remove any dangly ornaments, cushions, blankets, football team scarfs etc. from front and rear windows and rear view mirror and be sure the car is reasonably clean inside and that your demister is working to keep the windows clear 'cos you'll be swettin' believe me ! ;)
    stratos wrote:
    Unless things have changed, I admit i did my test 20 yrs ago, the tester would actually only notice if the car was actually on fire when he got into it.

Though maybe things have changed, but on my test the guy just got into the car and probably only noticed things any other passenger would notice.

Good luck with the test.

ondafly wrote:
    Single rear fog lights are very common, in fact I can't think of a car with 2 rear foglights

Ah was thinking of front fogs hence the pic, never thought he meant rear ones. Probably because I rarely to never use them. Them as in plural, my car has 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I know my moms Pugot has one of each. PITB, cause the white rev lamp is on the wrong (ie left) side and not behind the operator.

Otherwise, it appears to be a common cost saving technique.

As for the bottle lid, forget it, these bozos are not going to get their hands dirty opening a hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

stratos wrote:
    Things definitely have changed! I once didn't get to do my test because my rear indicators were not orange enough. :rolleyes:

I started off great with every theory question conquered. 15 minutes into the drive I notice I had knocked up a load of Blue X's, 8 and you fail. Within 5 minutes we were back at the test center and the test was over. He closed the book before I got a look but walking back I realised I didn't get tested on a hill start, probably because I reached the 8 before he had the opportunity :( Anyway, I walk up, he sits me down I see 7 blue X's and he starts writing my cert!

Thanks for the positive wishes! They worked a charm. I stuck the cap of an aerosol can on the washer funnel and he didn't even notice that part under the bonnet, he just asked about oil, coolant and brake fluid. Anyway, I put my L plates up in the For Sale forum if anyone is interested:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ondafly wrote:
    Single rear fog lights are very common, in fact I can't think of a car with 2 rear foglights. As for the single reverse light, also very common, although on Japanese imported Hondas they'll have 2 reverse lights and no rear fogs, where as Hondas sold in Ireland from Irish dealers, will have holes cut into bumpers for the fog lights on the rear.

Going a bit OT: I am pretty sure my alfa has two rear fog lights and two reverse lights

Cormie - well done on the test.

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Thats great news, well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No hillstart? You jammy bastard :)

My hillstart was on a big steep bastard of a hill. The tester must have needed to go to the jacks or was hungry or something! ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the congrats.

I've no problems with hillstarts, it was the thing I was least worried about. I think he was a bit harsh with the blue ones though.

Just before the test my instructor told me if a pedestrian is on the road crossing, they have right of way. I was approaching a junction and a lady was wheeling a buggy, the buggy and he were on the road at the side of the path, I stopped waved with a smile simply to let her know she has right of way as she was about to stop and go back on the path. I got a blue for that. I think it should have at most been a green! Ah well, I'm happy with the result. :D

I hope I get cash in hand as a refund from the Insurance now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

eoin_s wrote:
    Going a bit OT: I am pretty sure my alfa has two rear fog lights and two reverse lights

Yeah, lots of cars do, should be standard imho.
    cormie - well done on the test :)
    - now apply for your full licence ASAP - coz you know you're not allowed on a motorway with a certificate of competency ;)

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

cormie wrote:
    Just before the test my instructor told me if a pedestrian is on the road crossing, they have right of way. I was approaching a junction and a lady was wheeling a buggy, the buggy and he were on the road at the side of the path, I stopped waved with a smile simply to let her know she has right of way as she was about to stop and go back on the path. I got a blue for that. I think it should have at most been a green!
    Anyone or anything already on a junction has control of it and you must yield.
    You got the blue mark for signalling to another road user - tut tut :o

btw - make a concious choice now whether or not to remember and (mainly) drive by the ROTR for the rest of your life - or choose now to be one of the majority of people who pass their test and forget all about the rules (bar one or two which they consistently quote to demonstrate their vast knowledge). It's your choice :)

causal

Congrats :)

Well done and make sure you always drive safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Congrats on passing - passed mine in 1978 and was right proud of the achievement - next thing they introduced all these free licences - was a bit sour over that. :rolleyes:
    I was a bit dissapointed with the effect this had on my insurance though - premiums barely changed at all :mad:

Thanks again:)

Yes I will try and drive as safely as possible, I have stuff I want to do with my life, I'm only a young'n. However I'm not going to be dangerously twisting my neck around looking in mirrors and if I'm on a country road at 4am going 100kmph with a clear road in front of me, I'll be over the white lines rather than skin to skin with the ditch, just incase;)

Alfasudcrazy, at least you got to prove you're competant. I think that's ridiculous about the free licence distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Your going to a driving test not knowing the basics... I wonder if you ll pass.

kluivert wrote:
    Your going to a driving test not knowing the basics... I wonder if you ll pass.

Who was that directed to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I'll add my congrats cormie.
    Since you did make a comment about the 7 Xs, you should spend time working on those areas over the next few weeks. After spending some time working on the problem areas, it might be worthwhile taking a lesson from an instructor with advanced driving qualifications to get some positive criticism. Hibernian Ignition course might be worth doing. You could try them for a quote on your next renewal, or ask your current insurer for discounts for advanced driving qualifications. But sounds like you need a few lessons before you get to that stage.

Safe motoring.

Just an afterthought: there was some comment about making mistakes and passing the test. I would reckon all drivers make a mistake every day, or might not choose the best option in a specific scenario. But in most cases, we get away with it. We're not perfect and not machines, but we should be trying to maintain high standards. IMHO

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I forgot about the ignition course, that's what my next goal is so:) I passed the provisional ignition course but I think the full one is quite different. Plus it costs about €250:(

Thanks for the congrats!

Advertisement