Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uh oh...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

congrats

when i did my test all i could see when i looked out my PS mirror was X's all over the sheet and was convinced id failed but i passed and after i got my cert i asked him about the X's and told him it was very offf putting and he promised to use ticks in future, im sure your X's were all positives i cant see them allowing you to pass the test wit 7 or 8 marks against you in less than 30 mins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

cormie wrote:
    I passed the provisional ignition course but I think the full one is quite different. Plus it costs about €250:(
    Are you sure about that - you could be right but -
    I thought the idea was you 'pay' €250 - but once you turn up and complete the course they refund you (assuming they deducted it in the first place) - the reason was to stop people booking and not-showing all the time.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm not too sure of the details, I think what it MIGHT be though, is, you pay €250 or whatever the fee is, if you pass, they deduct it off your premium. I could be wrong, the info is available on their website I'm sure but I'm a bit tired at the moment :o As far as I know the test is done by IAM so they probably get the money and they pass the results on to Hibernian, if you fail, you don't get a refund, if you pass, you get it refunded off your premium.

From the Hib Ignition FAQ
    Basically they refund the €225 (when you take out or renew a policy with them) even if you fail.
    Will you charge me for taking part in Ignition?

We aim to provide Ignition free of charge to anyone who is insured with us. However, we have to charge a course fee when you make your course booking, to prevent people from not turning up. People who do not turn up for the course cost us money and prevent others from taking part. The procedure for payment and refund of this fee is as follows:

* The course fee is €225.
    * We will accept payment by credit or debit card at the time you book the course.
    * If you are not already a Hibernian policyholder and you successfully finish Ignition, we will refund the fee in full when you take out a new Hibernian private motor policy. You must take out the new policy within three months of finishing Ignition.
    * If you are an existing Hibernian policyholder and successfully finish Ignition, we will refund the fee to you once we receive your course result from the IAM.
    * If you are not successful we will also refund the fee once we receive your course results from the IAM.
    * We will not refund the fee if you fail to turn up for your Ignition course without giving us 48 hours' notice (by phone).
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Congrats cormie :)

• Advertisement

That's the second congrats from you Unkel:)

I think I'll give ignition a shot so, it will be worth it if it can save me a few bob in the "he's under 25, he must be a boy racer" years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cormie wrote:
    That's the second congrats from you Unkel:)

Oops so it is :o:D

:D well thanks again!

So I just got off the phone to Tesco, have to wait till I get my full license posted till I can change the policy, but I was told some info on Ignition.

You pay the €225 which is refunded after you show up. It starts at 9.45 am and goes on till about 4 or 5pm with a free lunch in between :eek: hehe, so it starts off with a presentation and then you go out for a test drive to get the feel of the car and the route in a car they provide (:(), they then take you back and assess you, tell you where you need to improve etc, then you go back out and do the route under test conditions, observation etc being the main factor. If you pass (she said they have a very high pass rate) you get a MINIMUM of 20% off your premium, however depending on how well you do, you can get up to 40% off, if you opt for a curfew (no of me opting for that) you get an extra 10% off.

It sounds pretty good actually, I think I'll go for it, I wonder if you only get 20% off can you do it again to aim higher, even still, I wonder if you do get 40% off can you do it again to get another 40% off and so on:P I doubt it.

So it's free anyway and you get a free lunch so you're actually making a profit by going to it! Great.

Strange enough, I'm getting NO discount off my current policy for passing the test because I passed the provisional ignition course which made the price as if I had got a full license, which is a bit of a pain but it was by far the best quote I got so I'm happy with Tesco anyway (oh yeah, I have my policy with Tesco who are with Hibernian, but cheaper, so they do ignition too).

Anyway, my policy if I got 20% off would be €1144 and if I got 40% off it would be €858 which isn't bad for a 20 (21 soon) year old who's only been driving for about 16 months under in his own name, considering my first policy 16 months ago cost me €3,600 with Quinn Direct (which was the best quote at the time!). This is all on a 1L nissan Micra with residence in Co. Wicklow.

Nice one Cormie thanks for posting the info about Ignition.
    It's definitely worth doing - I did the motorbike version last year - and it was great. I got one to one training from a top instructor all day for free - free lunch (there is such a thing) - and then reduction on my premium. Unfortunately the bike ignition only gave a 10% discount :rolleyes: and now it's worthelss for the bike coz Hib don't do bike insurance anymore (bar seeing out existing policies).

Anyway, good luck with your Ignition course and enjoy driving :)
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stroppy

Had an argument with an inlaw about the lights on the back of my Alfa 146. I have one fog light, one reverse light and one relflector. Is this right? Brought it to the garage twice to make sure. But the egit whos never driven in his life is insisting im wrong. (think its because im a girl)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

when i did my test all i could see when i looked out my PS mirror was X's all over the sheet and was convinced id failed but i passed and after i got my cert i asked him about the X's and told him it was very offf putting and he promised to use ticks in future, im sure your X's were all positives i cant see them allowing you to pass the test wit 7 or 8 marks against you in less than 30 mins :D

As long as they were all minor problems, I believe 8 is the limit. If you get fewer than that, you pass.

Advertisement