Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW Games players - what are you painting?

• 16-07-2001 5:27pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Place was kinda quiet, so I thought I'd ask...

I'm painting some Eldar Guardians and a couple of Warlocks to match. After that is a Falcom Grav Tank.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tyranids, tyranids and more tyranids...

If you are in mayo at the start of August we might get a game in in the castle!

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hey - that's not a bad idea - I've actually not played a proper game with the latest rules, so I'd be on for that - I'll almost definitly be in Mayo one of those weekends - you sould come over to Castlebar one of the nights - a bit of a drive from where you're staying, but we'll have a bit of a session wink.gif

Remind me about it closer to time!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If memory serves right nog should be painting his supension bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

im paintin nothin cuz i suck so i just spray all my chaos stuff black smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I decided I'd buy a load of that stuff... warhammer 40,000 (sound right?), painted like 2 marines, assembled everything else, punched out cards, etc., etc., and lost all motivation... probably had something to do with spraypainting the windows of the house red & the bollockin i got afterwards...

1) windowsil is not a good place to stack em to spray base coat
    2) check wind direction

also glued one to a table top during assembly...

Not v.good with my hands wink.gif

• Advertisement

/me slaps Mixie around the side of the head
    curlydav.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Elias

Mixie, I'm not saying thats dumbest thing I've ever heard someone do but its pretty stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm painting loads of guardians, damn that altioc mottled scheme!, a falcon, some jetbikes, and trying to find somewhere i can get more paints!

Anynews i've been away for ages, dissadvantage of living in a house with a very dodgy internet connection.

This board has gotten so quite....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

im paintin orcs and my new unit of guardians any1 ere lookin forward to the brettonian army list next month in wd?

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

*Howls at the moon*

that should answer yoru question as to what I am painting wink.gif

Space Wolves .. and LOTS of epic stuff. Eldar and Space Wolf

• Advertisement

Shortly moving up to Inquisitor. Got the book today. LOTS of indepth details and stuff.

Models are a mite-bit expensive though, but then again, there are less of them to buy ( a LOT less)

i love that game its so flexible and fun anyting can happen pity the models are that exspensive ah well

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by orangerooster_2000:
    ... pity the models are that exspensive ah well
    </font>

Yeah, they are expensive, but you don't need to go out and spend a few hundred on an army (its been done!) or something cause you only need a couple of miniatures.

But you could very easily spend £100 on 4 Inquisitor models by the time you've done conversion work and so on.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

With a bit of luck you could russle up around 1500 pts of eldar for that. Possibly anyway.

Inquisitor looks cool, but painting models that size is very different to painting the usual stuff. You can't get away with alot of the short cuts frown.gif

But that's half the fun, innit? smile.gif

I'd love to give one of them a go - Brother Artemius or Esinhorn appeal to me most (Covenant looks good too).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

I wanna do artemis and covenant.

Although I intend to do a conversion of artemis into a space wolf death-guard character

Aye, I'd like to get my paws on some of the stuff, but it's not stocked in cork, and being an unemployed student, I only got enough to work on collecting more eldar frown.gif Orcs are next, just got the armies book, and they got some really cool units.

Actually .. I just had a cool idea flicking through my Inquisitor book ...

Either use a combo (not to mention a lot of 'green stuff') Covenant/Slick Devlan or RogueTrader guy/Slick Devlan to make Kal Jerico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Penos

ooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkskssssss
    The power of Waaaaaaagh!!!!! wink.gif

YOU ARE NOT THE CONTENTS OF UR WALLET!!!

• Advertisement

Great idea Lemming - I'm sure someone's done it at this stage though, but still a great project. Keep an eye on the Forgeworld site - they've got some Inquisitor stuff already and they have a 40K scale Kal Jericho already...

All the best!
    Dav
    curlydav.gif

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 03-08-2001).]

Anyone played Warmaster?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Keep an eye on the Forgeworld site - they've got some Inquisitor stuff already and they have a 40K scale Kal Jericho already...
    </font>

What I'm really waiting for is the Gaunts Ghosts W40k squad being released (yup .. that's right folks!! Gaunt, Milo, Corbec and Co. are being made into an Imperial Guard squad thingy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't play GW, I just use them for models. I generally like to do big diarama's with them, or just build up an impressive army. I tend to customize them allot because I hate the over characteristic blades and ****... Now, back on topic...

Some guy gave me 70 quids worth of orcs... So I'm painting those.... And lots upon lots of custom Dark Angels.

-Dark-NotRelatedToGW-Angel-

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dark-Angel:

Some guy gave me 70 quids worth of orcs
    </font>

Wow .... that's a lot of smelly green beasties!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lemming:
    What I'm really waiting for is the Gaunts Ghosts W40k squad being released (yup .. that's right folks!! Gaunt, Milo, Corbec and Co. are being made into an Imperial Guard squad thingy!)</font>

YOU LITTLE BEAUTY!!!

I love the Ghosts (read all the books).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    YOU LITTLE BEAUTY!!!

I love the Ghosts (read all the books).

</font>

Ermm .. shoud I be getting worried now? :P lol.

But on a serious note, have u read "Honour Guard" yet, and if so what's it like ?

Better than Necropolis (and lets face it .. that was Dan Abnett writing at his finest!)

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

But on a serious note, have u read "Honour Guard" yet, and if so what's it like ? </font>
    I read it yesterday. It's of the same pulp sci-fi standard as the rest of them.

I've just started on a Steel Legion Imperial guard army. This is my first attempt at an army and I'm not doing too badly - most of the paint is ending up on the right parts of the models... wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I been painting Ultramarines for quite a while...yes I know EVERYONE goes Ultramarines..but I like the colour scheme. I tried to do Black templars but came to the conclusion that White Wont Go on ****ING BLACK!!!.. *ahem*...and I also have a few orcs and eldars.. biggrin.gif

Life sucks, but does it swallow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Wyrd

I's painting black templars at the mo' very boring for the basic models though i must say that the best armies to paint are the eldar i have also been doing inquisitor models but the problem with that game is not the models themselves it is the cost. it is hidious to find all the scenery to make it look cool as the models deserve and costly too.

For We Are Many

Ermm .. shoud I be getting worried now? :P lol.

But on a serious note, have u read "Honour Guard" yet, and if so what's it like ?

Better than Necropolis (and lets face it .. that was Dan Abnett writing at his finest!)
    </font>

Haven't got it yet - shall do soon (finishing a Prachett Discworld book ATM).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wyrd:
    I must say that the best armies to paint are the eldar
    </font>

Definitely!! I love painting Alaitoc, and I had a very interesting time painting my Avatar (ref. W40k 2nd Ed. paint job). What surprised me was not only was it one of the most complex models I ever painted (both in detail terms, and in techniques needed to get that metal skin on fire look) but it was one of my fastest and best(IMHO of course biggrin.gif ).

That said, I enjoyed painting a squad of metal catachans a while back, simply frmo the point of view of making their uniforms tiger-strip camo, and adding little details to them.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wyrd:

i have also been doing inquisitor models but the problem with that game is not the models themselves it is the cost. it is hidious to find all the scenery to make it look cool as the models deserve and costly too.
    </font>

What was it like painting Inquisitor models ? Which ones have u attempted and how'd they go ? I'd be interested to know from the point of view that they're a completely different style of painting to what we all know and love (or loath!! depending .. hehe)

Actually, I quite like the idea of the larger scall scenery. A lot of average day items fit the bill beautifully and don't have to be downscaled or anything for W40k. I have made a LOT of scenery in my time. Those that have visited Gaelcon over the last 4 years might remember the rather large w40k assault terrain - aka. hamburger hill - used for a participation battle scenario.

I have to say, had I to make that for Inquisitor, it would have been a bit easier from the scale point of view although storage and transport would be a pain in the ass smile.gif

Just bought the Inquisitor "Covenant" model today. Damn these models are big!! biggrin.gif

You need less highlights since the models pick up a lot of light themselves anyway. Just any highlights you do have need a lot more layers to make them look natural.

I'm debating on whether or not to keep my model as an Ordo Malleus character (with his shoulder mounted Psy-Cannon, etc) or convert him into an Ordo Xenos with a shoulder mounted Shuriken Catapult or something. Any thoughts and ideas boys n'girls ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

dont usually post here but here goes smile.gif
    im currently painting my alaitoc (as lemming said smile.gif) and im nearly finished my 2000point chaos army biggrin.gif
    My eldar army are still small (only 3jet bikes a falcon and a viper,along with 25guardians and 10dire avengers)
    But am getting a sh!te load of models of a m8 in england...about £350 worth of models for 135 biggrin.gif (hes a nice guy).
    Mainly 4 my bros space marines but im getting a big enuf eldar army as well....
    particulaly the avatar...they 0wn up close....
    managed 2 WIPE OUT a full ork command squad up close biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif on his own and still have 2wounds left.
    BTW,what armies do ya'll collect ??
    i have about
    eldar:1500
    Chaos:2000'ish (about 2300 by now)
    Tyranid:1500
    Orks (bro's):2000
    Space marines (bro's):5000 (yes i do mean 5000 its absolutely HUGE biggrin.gif,half mine half his smile.gif)
    and a handful of necrons

And also,ure all lucky......the closest place 4 me to buy it is 80miles away frown.gif
    Ive had 2 use mail order.
    And the shuriken cannon conversion sounds like a good idea smile.gif
    And if u could b bothered reading it here most of our space marine army of the top of me head smile.gif
    75 or so marines
    25terminators
    5bikes
    2land raiders
    5assault marines
    2librarians
    full command squad
    3land speeders
    1 dread naught
    marneas calgar (excuse spelling)
    Tigerius
    3commanders (dont ask y smile.gif)
    10veterin marines
    15scouts
    4rhinos
    1razor back
    1predator annihilator
    10devestators
    and a million or so conversions (sarcasm incase ure getting freaked out smile.gif)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

bit off the topic but i have some excellent models (sprayed, not painted) that i want to sell. anyone interested in a ****load of imperial guard (praetorians, hw squad, 2 command squads, 3 squads with special weapon and hw, and some more)? ive also got 2 griffins and a hydra flak tank resin kit. anyone interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm trying to paint an Eldar Avatar and a Falcon Fire Prism..need some heaies..

Can't find any red undercoat anywhere though... frown.gif

Beware the power of a well trained mob
    Hobbes - Ooohh Shinji ;) I would accuse you of Equestrian necrophilia but I would just be flogging a dead horse

with an avatar ure putting on a red under coat ?!?!?!
    no way,u give them a white undercoat,
    then use red ink and layer it up untill it looks a good blood colour,
    then do ne additional high lighting and shading,
    then finish of with the deteal.
    Same with khorne bloodletters ,
    leaves a real god shiny blood effect

as for the fire prism.
    Its the same as the falcon grav tank cept fer the gun (obviously)
    For a good looking gun.
    Under coat it white,
    the use ultramarine blue,
    then build up a lightning effect starting with lightning blot blue,
    then working through about 5diffrent shades of blue getting lighter and finish it with a thin line of skull white.
    looks class but very hard to get right,took me ages 2 do on my chaos space marine squads but looks class and well worth the effort

[This message has been edited by Pugsley (edited 15-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 R4z0R

ph33r this conversion i made

image.asp?Size=a&Img=212466&UseBoxImg=

• Advertisement

yeah,its good looking and all...but i think i saw that exact model in white dwarf wink.gif

id tend to agree with pugsley there.

thx rooster biggrin.gif

Conversions built up from existing models aren't that impressive imo. Any fool can make joins and such, most conversion work is just adding touches anyway, the only large conversion I ever did was on a nurgle dreadnought, I rescultped the entire model to make it look like it was melting (v easy actually, you can afford to be messy), but as with other conversions, all it takes is one kid to get their hands on it.....

there is an utterly 1337 blood thirster conversion in the belfast GW.
    It has skull shoulder pads and a jugernaught head...
    u have 2 see it 4 ureself,its 2 class 2 describe.

As strachbuilts go my friend pretty much made a hhhhhhuuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeeee!warlord titan i helped a little the thing when made with ial vdr cost nearly 2000 points its weapons owned and we had to make up rules for it we,ll use it someday.Smaller projects still own though if done right a little greenstuff and an existing model which is already cool will make a winner like my vertongetorix dread in a previous battle a lucky grot blasta killed him the guys in g.w suggested i make a cool dread and i did and they heped.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pugsley:
    there is an utterly 1337 blood thirster conversion in the belfast GW.
    It has skull shoulder pads and a jugernaught head...
    </font>

*Droools*

Anyone got "Codex CityFight" yet? And if so, what do ye make of it?

I started reading the battle report using it's rules in the latest White Dwarf - was too tired to read past the Army selection bit, so I'll know more this evening wink.gif

It's a bit like brinignign Warhammer Siege to 40K, ya?

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

Kind of like Mordeim was bringing Necromunda to Warhammer Fantasy Battles??

All I can say is, hmmm, I sniff another expensive set of models to collect... and another £30 book to buy frown.gif

But on the other hand it would fill the gap left by the new edition of 40k, where the skirmish game has become a joke smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement