Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pires To Juventes?

• 13-07-2005 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Robert Pires' agent has scotched talk of an offer from Galatasaray but confirmed Juventus are keen on the Arsenal midfielder.

Turkish giants Galatasaray had claimed that they are close to landing the Frenchman after Pires lowered his demands.

Pires could leave Highbury over the summer as he has only been offered a 12-month contract extension after asking for a two-year deal.

Gala are keen to sign the 32-year-old but neither Pires nor Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger are aware of the club's offer.

But Pires' representative Stephane Courbis has revealed Italian champions Juventus are the sole club to make contact after outlining how much the player wants to quit North London.

"Galatasaray? We haven't got an offer from that club," Courbis told Turkish newspaper Vatan.

"Right now Juventus is the only interested party.

"The price of our player is £2.75 million a year. Lowering the price is not an issue you can discuss.

"It is not possible that Pires can go to any club in Turkey."

Gala remain insistent they are in talks with Pires but Gunners chief Wenger denied fielding an offer from the Turkish side.

Wenger said: "We haven't got an offer from their manager nor anybody else. I am hearing for the first time that Galatasaray are interested."

If all the stories of players leaving Arsenal are true they are going to have a lot of rebuilding to do in the coming season.

Who will be next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Muppet wrote:
    If all the stories of players leaving Arsenal are true they are going to have a lot of rebuilding to do in the coming season.

Who will be next?

They have 11 better or possibly better youth players, and with one or 2 signings i reckon they be better for it.
    Pires is a cracking player who with his passing never gets enough praise keeps them moving swiftly down the left hand side. be missed but i reckon they have better in mind if they only offering one year deal.

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Muppet wrote:

Who will be next?
    To be linked to another team?

Anyone who can kick a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

By the way things are looking Pires will be going which really pisses me off because he is quality. Arsenal should just give him the 2year deal he wants, he's well worth it and is better than Reyes on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd actually like to see Pires go, I think he's a world class player but he dives far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

in fairness chief, dont think you are an Arsenal supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Most of those links are just nuts, with Vieria linked every single summer its a joke.
    But the quotes from the player's agent would suggest there is some truth to the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Anything to see him out of the Premiership - I really dislike him as a player. I think Arsenal would be better off without him as would my Saturday night MOTD viewing.

One thing you can say though is that Wenger is great in the transfer market and he will do what is right for the club. One of the few managers out there who does so when it comes to transfers.

I think Pires is over rated as a player. Talented certainly but world class, imo no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pires was 3rd highest scorer last year, as a winger.
    This guy was pure class, obviously he has dipped a little, but is an amazing player. I'd love for United to sign him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

no loss to the league - biggest cheat around :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

TheMonster wrote:
    no loss to the league - biggest cheat around :mad:
    Oh my god, he's an excellent player and NOWAY near the biggest cheat in the premiership. stop with your total utter crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I agree with Themonster - he has to be in the top 5 cheating players in the Premiership. Can't think of many that are worse than him at least for diving.

He's certainly not a dirty player, just tries to con people into thinking that everyone else is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

he is definitely one of the biggest divers around!!! remeber his dive in the france v ireland match, he got booed every time he touched the ball afterwards!!! and his dive v charlton i think it was two years ago, disgraceful.

must say though, that duff doesn't mind takin a fall or two in the box either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I admit Pires is a bit of a diver, but I think his positive contributions to the team far outweigh the negatives. As has been pointed out, he was 3rd highest scorer in the Premiership last year despite being a winger, and missing a lot of games at the start of the season due to illness.

I'd really be unhappy if the club let him go simply for the sake of another year on his contract. Maybe if he was 34, but not when he's only 31. Anyway, Juventus say they're only interested in Vieira, and have dismissed rumours of any interest in Pires. Hopefully he'll stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

did wenger not say at the start of the summer that he would not be selling henry, pires or ljungberg, i don't think he mentioned viera.
    He should remember selling overmars and petit to barca, and how much arsenal struggled for the next 2 years.

Advertisement