Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America building a new base in Israel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I thought Israel was already a US Military base.....or a testing ground for US weapons at the very least!

How do you think the US perfected their A1 Abrams MBT/F16/F15...etc in desert conditions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

The Israelis never operated the M1, (Eygpt and Saudi Arabia do) and in any case, its not like there's no deserts in the US. Like Fort Irwin in California, for example.

Aidan1 wrote:
    The Israelis never operated the M1, (Eygpt and Saudi Arabia do) and in any case, its not like there's no deserts in the US. Like Fort Irwin in California, for example.

What I said:
    How do you think the US perfected their A1 Abrams MBT/F16/F15...etc in desert conditions???

The only way to perfect weapons is to actually KILL people with them!!!
    Senior engineers who worked on the Abrams MBT actually protested and left their jobs due to the way Israel has used their creation!
    BTW
    Whats the M1???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

zuma wrote:
    Whats the M1???

Its the Abrams MBT its versions are called the M1A1 & M1A2

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zuma wrote:
    Senior engineers who worked on the Abrams MBT actually protested and left their jobs due to the way Israel has used their creation!
    Hehehe! I found this funny. They protested because Isreal used the weapon for what it was built for: to kill.

=-=

Anyhoo's, I'd say the Americans built the base as they need a place over there to keep stuff. Germany is alright, but still a bit far, whereas Isreal is close enough to current area's of operations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

zuma wrote:
    The only way to perfect weapons is to actually KILL people with them!!!
    BTW
    Whats the M1???

Isreal has never had any M1 Abrams. They developed their own tank design.

bus77 wrote:
    Isreal has never had any M1 Abrams. They developed their own tank design.

Do you not watch the news???

Those Merkava look very much like Abrams tanks dont they???
    $200 million to develop the Merkava tank (operative); the latest version, the Merkava 4, uses a German V-12 diesel engine produced under license in the U.S. by General Dynamics
    62 tonnes in weight!!!

Interesting reading:
    http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/arms/reports/israel050602.html

Other than that those M16/M4 rifles look awfully familar?
    Free Weapons to Israel

The U.S. also gives Israel weapons and ammunition as part of the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) program, providing these articles completely free of charge. Between 1994-2001 the U.S. provided many weapons through this program, including:

* 64,744 M-16A1 rifles
    * 2,469 M-204 grenade launchers
    * 1,500 M-2 .50 caliber machine guns
    * .30 caliber, .50 caliber, and 20mm ammunition

All you have to do is open your eyes to see that, this new US base in Israel is of little overall consequence.

zuma wrote:
    Those Merkava look very much like Abrams tanks dont they???
    No.
    zuma wrote:
    Interesting reading:
    http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/arms/reports/israel050602.html

Other than that those M16/M4 rifles look awfully familar?

What's all this about America supplying arms to the IDF anyway. You do know there would still be a problem there between the Palestinians/surrounding Islamic countrys with or without US involvement?

bus77 wrote:
    No.

What's all this about America supplying arms to the IDF anyway. You do know there would still be a problem there between the Palestinians/surrounding Islamic countrys with or without US involvement?

STOP

This thread is called

I stated that this US base makes zero difference as they have already had a major involvement in Israel since that country was created!

The Merkava is being devloped by US money...do you really think the US has no say in how its designed???

$200 million to develop the Merkava tank (operative); the latest version, the Merkava 4, uses a German V-12 diesel engine produced under license in the U.S. by General Dynamics

If I was investing millions into a tank project...wouldnt you think I would develope it along similar lines to what I already have (Abrams MBT)???

So I say again...stick to the thread which is:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zuma wrote:
    Those Merkava look very much like Abrams tanks dont they???.
    The engine in the Merkava at the front, at the back they can store more ammo or a few squaddies (or bail out if the front gets hit). The most expensive part of the tank apart from the weapons is the turret , they are very different too.

The Isrealis have developed an arms industry. They stole the mirage plans from the French and put an American engine into it. Planes are a lot more complex than tanks.

• Advertisement

zuma wrote:
    I stated that this US base makes zero difference as they have already had a major involvement in Israel since that country was created!
    Well I would disagree. Investment in army equipment for the Israeli army is one thing. A huge new base is another(considering the current climate).
    The engine in the Merkava at the front, at the back they can store more ammo or a few squaddies (or bail out if the front gets hit).
    60mm mortar built into the turret aswell ;)

Advertisement